After seeing the pricetag of SMTIV for the 3DS...

#11CrisisOfFatePosted 4/26/2013 10:53:25 AM
furygods posted...
bsp77 posted...
First printings of the game have a CD, art book and guide. That is why it is $50. Nothing to do with everything you wrote.

I know it is because of that, and that's beside the point.

It is just that the price tag made me think of that idea.

If all games from now on have all those extras I'll gladly pay extra 10 euros/dollars or whatever.
---
The official Azrael of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
Proud supporter of NO Persona in SMTxFE
#12pikachupwnagePosted 4/26/2013 11:03:44 AM
Tiael posted...
Well, it's only $50 due to the extras, especially the 176 page art/strategy book, which is also the first print run.
After that it'll just be the game itself and $40.

Wait the book is 176 pages?

Holy **** tacos!
---
Walharts. Low prices. Everyday. On Everything.
Official maribelle of the Fire emblem awakening board! Official pokemon fanboy of the NDF!
#13CSplitterPosted 4/26/2013 11:30:52 AM
Come to PAL territories. 50 is the set price tag.

Even new DS releases used to cost 50 euros here. I imagine Australia has it worse than Europe.
---
TakayaNoriko: Back in my day, we pressed buttons that didn't do anything because we thought it would give us special power-ups. And that's the way we liked it!
#14MetalLokiPosted 4/26/2013 11:33:23 AM
pikachupwnage posted...
Tiael posted...
Well, it's only $50 due to the extras, especially the 176 page art/strategy book, which is also the first print run.
After that it'll just be the game itself and $40.

Wait the book is 176 pages?

Holy **** tacos!

But this was said the same day it got announced :C how didn't you know? either way it's a guide and artbook and I think that alone is worth the $10 cause the cheapest Atlus artbook is like $30 .
---
The official Loki of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Darn beautiful men, always eating out of my trash wait what?
#15PhaseSlaethePosted 4/26/2013 11:37:08 AM
CSplitter posted...

Even new DS releases used to cost 50 euros here. I imagine Australia has it worse than Europe.

Dropping 50 for a game isn't bad for an Aussie when their minimum wage is like 3x what America's is.
#16esoteric42Posted 4/26/2013 4:08:50 PM
I'd pay an extra $10 if every game I bought came with a CD and artbook/strategy guide that was over 150 pages.

I'd also buy digital if I got a $5-$10 discount from retail.
---
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#17ZanimarPosted 4/27/2013 5:57:39 AM
Dropping 50 for a game isn't bad for an Aussie when their minimum wage is like 3x what America's is.

But if the price of everything is increased to compensate for the much higher minimum wage, then in the end, despite being a larger amount, you still only go as far with it as an American would since the price of everything is also higher than what America's is.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx4HYOunLc&feature=plcp
3DS FC - 3007-8283-2971
#18yukitoPosted 4/27/2013 6:18:51 AM
1) Help existing developers, who already make great games, providing a incentive to make even better games. If they don't (to reap the profits), that's fine too because the extra $10 from all sales will help lessen the gap for the sequel. What used to require 1 million sales will now require .9 million sales to warrant a sequel.

A lot of this has more to due with runaway budgets, long development cycles, and devs wanting to make AAA games. A lot of studios have gone out of business then gen because they've made expensive gambles that didn't pay off.

Fix that and have companies who are willing to have some scaled-down, realistically budgeted projects and they'd have less problems when their games don't sell five million copies worldwide.

2) Probably bring companies like EA back from the world of microtransactions to the world of making decent games as they would not need to rely on the microtransactions nearly as much since they earn $10 more for every sale.

If you think for one moment that game companies would stop microtransaction and DLC practices that are working for them even if they raised game prices, then I gotta ask how you've maintained such a positive outlook on the world for so long. I could only see a world where they do both in tandem.

3) More companies and groups would start to enter the market when they see enough of a economic profit, thus increasing the overall quality of games due to intense competition.

Honestly, I think if any company wants in on the game market, they'd either start doing licensed game work or they'd focus on bite-sized mobile/facebook/psn/eshop/live games before they'd get their feet wet on retail game development. They're not going to go HAM and jump on in, unless they've got the capital and experienced team members.

I don't mind $50 portable games (I preordered SMTIV before the bonuses were announced), but that's really only for tried-and-true companies and series that I really like. Otherwise I wait for the game's prices to fall in a few months, or I get it used. Perhaps more people would do that same if games got more expensive on average, which would kind of even out profits made by such a move. Maybe your optimistic predictions would be right. Who knows.
---
He's gonna kick that burger!
-Yusketeers
#19airfoemoePosted 4/27/2013 6:28:21 AM
I'm sure you can get it for $40 on the eshop. I just want to play the game, so that's the version I'll get.
---
http://www.schtserv.com/connect.php
^ go here if u wanna play Phantasy Star Online for Gamecube, Dreamcast,and PC (for free)
#20RX02BansheePosted 4/27/2013 6:48:24 AM
PhaseSlaethe posted...
CSplitter posted...

Because living here is obviously going to cost the same as it does in the US and we're all filthy rich. /sarcasm
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Bethesda make poorly made shallow quantity over quality games.