Are the contrast and black level on the LCD screen as bad as they look?

#1VyseLegendairePosted 4/26/2013 11:15:55 AM
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 3DS or not and the library of games is the main draw.

Next to the Vita though, I get the strong feeling that the 3DS is a rip off because of its extremely sub par/outdated LCD screen, especially next to the sexcellent OLED.

So are my eyes deceiving me or is the screen on the XL really as piss poor as it looks on Youtube, which I imagine does a major disservice to the games. Also, emulation is not an option for me.
---
"Why the hell would the director decide to use the sounds of happy children if we were supposed to interpret that humanity had been destroyed?"
#2Dr_SquiddyPosted 4/26/2013 11:17:59 AM
I'm an extreme Nintendo fanboy, so this is a biases opinion, but get a 3DS. It's an amazing system, the 3D effect works really well, and, yeah, obviously the screen is a little lower res, but it's the only no-glasses 3D screen on the market. Also, Nintendo games are IMO just better, but yeah, fanboy :3
#3Tempest717Posted 4/26/2013 11:18:58 AM
Nope. Also the amazingness of the OLED screen wears off just as fast the amazingness of the 3D effect, don't go buying systems cuz one has a slightly better screen.
---
Official Cherry Garcia of the IDF
Official Lion Tamer of the NDF
#4brStalkerPosted 4/26/2013 11:25:24 AM
VyseLegendaire posted...
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 3DS or not and the library of games is the main draw.

Next to the Vita though, I get the strong feeling that the 3DS is a rip off because of its extremely sub par/outdated LCD screen, especially next to the sexcellent OLED.

So are my eyes deceiving me or is the screen on the XL really as piss poor as it looks on Youtube, which I imagine does a major disservice to the games. Also, emulation is not an option for me.

Youtube videos enlarge the image, and because of that it looks worse than it actually is. Unless you're extremely picky, elitist or spoiled, the screen size and resolution are just fine, and they don't do a disservice to the games, as you say. Also, the 3d is quite pleasant in certain games, making it a lasting impression.
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#5VyseLegendaire(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 11:28:41 AM
"Nope. Also the amazingness of the OLED screen wears off just as fast the amazingness of the 3D effect, don't go buying systems cuz one has a slightly better screen."

Hmm, you make a point there. I guess it will come down to the games library in the end.

You can probably guess that I've purposely exaggerated the claim of the LCD screen being bad, but damn it does look like a 10 year old quality screen.
---
"Why the hell would the director decide to use the sounds of happy children if we were supposed to interpret that humanity had been destroyed?"
#6EmeraldroxPosted 4/26/2013 11:45:12 AM
Its perfectly fine to me. The screen shouldn't influence your choice that much at all.
---
White 2 - 1335-5542-8288 White - 0347-5170-7984
3DS: 4854-6563-5216
#7stargazer64Posted 4/26/2013 11:53:53 AM
It's pretty bad.

For me, the coolness of the 3D effect somewhat balances out the awfulness of the screen.

Playing Vita for awhile may make you think that you'll never want to look at your 3DS again, but like all shiny new things, once the novelty wears off you're left with whichever system has games that are fun to you.
---
This is superfrog HD! it's in HD dammit! - mike_411
#8andizzle29662Posted 4/26/2013 11:55:27 AM
I go from my retina display on my iPhone 5, to the vitas oled screen, to the 3ds with no problem. Obviously, the 3ds screen is low res, but games look sharp and colorful on it. Just play super Mario 3d land or luigi mansion 2, then make ur mind up.
---
Most wanted: bioshock infinite, 3d mario game for WiiU, pokemon x, metro last light, animal crossing, pikmin 3, luigi mansion 2, and more.