Why do the SMT games...have "SMT" in it?

#1Eric_CoronaPosted 4/26/2013 3:06:26 PM
I mean, Devil Survivor, and Persona were released in Japan with only that. No "Shin Megami Tensei". So why in the USA version do they have this? Also, out of curiosity, what exactly does Shin Megami Tensei mean anyways? lol
---
"So...what's it gonna be? Will you choose to ally?
...Or to betray?"
#2SigmaHacielPosted 4/26/2013 3:06:58 PM
Eric_Corona posted...
I mean, Devil Survivor, and Persona were released in Japan with only that. No "Shin Megami Tensei". So why in the USA version do they have this? Also, out of curiosity, what exactly does Shin Megami Tensei mean anyways? lol

Because Persona wasn't originally an SMT.

Shin Megami Tensei (Japanese: 真・女神転生, literally "True Goddess Reincarnation")
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#3deimos91Posted 4/26/2013 3:12:01 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Eric_Corona posted...

It is a spinoff though it is part of SMT (do not let trolls mislead you) a spinoff means it is part of a series IE Theaterythem and Dissidia are still final fantasy games paper mario is still a mario game etc.
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#4Eric_Corona(Topic Creator)Posted 4/26/2013 3:12:54 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
Eric_Corona posted...

Exactly, so why does it have it in the US versions? And what does "True Goddess Reincarnation" have to do with anything?
---
"So...what's it gonna be? Will you choose to ally?
...Or to betray?"
#5SigmaHacielPosted 4/26/2013 3:14:23 PM
Eric_Corona posted...
SigmaHaciel posted...
Eric_Corona posted...

Exactly, so why does it have it in the US versions? And what does "True Goddess Reincarnation" have to do with anything?

Because America used the SMT tag to sell Persona.

As for the name, what does the name of Etrian Odyssey have to do with ****?

SMT has a massive over-arcing story about God(s) and all.
---
Provoking other users to respond inappropriately = Troll
Even the most positive remark can provoke inappropriate responses. Thus, we ALL troll.
#6HalecticPosted 4/26/2013 3:14:45 PM
They have SMT on it for the NA versions so it will sell more.
---
Digimon World Dawn FC 000111545835
#7double_O7Posted 4/26/2013 3:21:40 PM
Two words: Brand Recognition.

ATLUS thought it would be a good idea to sell all the games under an umbrella title. And since the Persona and Devil Summoner titles are spinoffs it isn't all that out of place.
---
Only Toonami, Saturday nights on [adult swim]
http://www.adultswim.com/shows/toonami/index.html
#8TiaelPosted 4/26/2013 3:23:31 PM
Cause they're still spin-offs, even Persona.
Both the first Persona, Devil Survivor, etc. had Megami Ibunroku as the header in Japan, which means Alternate Tale of the Goddess.

Plus the various connections between the games.
---
Playing: Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f, Soul Hackers
Dragon Quest>Ys=SMT=Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five.
#9OoSubaruoOPosted 4/26/2013 3:26:10 PM
deimos91 posted...
SigmaHaciel posted...
Eric_Corona posted...

It is a spinoff though it is part of SMT (do not let trolls mislead you) a spinoff means it is part of a series IE Theaterythem and Dissidia are still final fantasy games paper mario is still a mario game etc.

You call everyone nowadays trolls eh? Persona isn't part of the SMT series, Atlus just brands it as such in North America alone.
#10double_O7Posted 4/26/2013 3:39:32 PM
^ But it is a spinoff of SMT, as many have already pointed out. Its not coincidence that Persona, main-line SMT, and Devil Summoner all share (or at least did at one point) development staff as well as demon and character designs from the same designer.
---
Only Toonami, Saturday nights on [adult swim]
http://www.adultswim.com/shows/toonami/index.html