Why do the SMT games...have "SMT" in it?

#21Bancario51Posted 4/26/2013 6:32:13 PM
Why does Ni no Kuni series have NNK in it? Yes I said series. look it up yourself.
---
What is the meaning of life? A: Nanomachines, son
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#221upsuperPosted 4/26/2013 7:01:33 PM
The name "Megami Tensei" came from the subtitle to the original book. "Goddess reincarnation" was in reference to Yumiko, one of the main characters, being a reincarnation of the goddess Izanami. For whatever reason, Megami Tensei stuck and Digital Devil Story/Monogatari didn't become the enveloping title for the whole series. And as someone pointed out, "shin" is essentially the Japanese equivalent of our "Super" during the SNES days, and it means "true".
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#23yabPosted 4/26/2013 7:02:52 PM
the original name for the series was "Megami Tensei" (reincarnation of the goddess) since one of the characters was a reincarnation of the goddess Izanami

then they tacked Shin (True) in front of the series when they started making a different series
although SMT got more popular since it was more of their original creation rather than being based on a novel like MT was

Like others said, they put SMT in front of the other related series to get more brand recognition here. Although it eventually had the opposite effect for people who started with Persona 3/4 and get confused as to how the other series relate to Persona. Maybe that's part of why Atlus dropped the SMT prefix for later Persona games.
---
#24mahgah91Posted 4/26/2013 8:27:31 PM
Bancario51 posted...
Why does Ni no Kuni series have NNK in it? Yes I said series. look it up yourself.

Not really a series with 2 games.
#25jovewolfPosted 4/26/2013 11:58:59 PM(edited)
yab posted...
Like others said, they put SMT in front of the other related series to get more brand recognition here. Although it eventually had the opposite effect for people who started with Persona 3/4 and get confused as to how the other series relate to Persona. Maybe that's part of why Atlus dropped the SMT prefix for later Persona games.

The irony being that "Megami Tensei" in it's literal context is relatively fitting for both Persona 3 and 4 in a way.
---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."