Best DS Castlevania?

#61MelkacPosted 4/27/2013 3:44:23 PM
LinkSSJ6 posted...
Melkac posted...
Ecclesia.

Dawn of Sorrow had waaay too much grinding and an ugly art style (why couldn't they copy Aria of Sorrow's soul system? Ugh...and...crappy anime style...what happened...).
After I finished Aria of Sorrow (just so you know, AoS is the game that got me into Castlevania), I decided to play DoS... *sigh* what a disappointment...I'm glad I played quite a few other Castlevanias before playing DoS lol

Haven't played Portrait yet, some people say it's unoriginal and there's a lot of backtracking (I don't really care about that).

Order of Ecclesia is my favorite now, but it has quite a few issues...first of all, it's too linear. Second of all, it's a grind-fest, just like Dawn of Sorrow...ok, not as bad. However, this can easily be fixed with an Action Replay code...I guess. Also, the music is...good, just not as good as the other game's (again, haven't played Portrait of Ruin yet).
...That's it! The game's story is very engaging, the gameplay is great, and the gothic-artistic (?) artstyle is back! No more anime b/s.

Portrait of Ruin has an awesome soundtrack.
Yes it's not as original as Ecclesia but you still have stages that are outside the castle.
I think the only downside of PoR is the character artstyle in dialogue and menu.

None of these Metroidvanias are really grindfests. The grinding just makes boss fights easier. They're dynamic side-scrolling games for all the action concerns. It's all a matter of having the skill to beat a boss without taking too much hit.

Well, you certainly need to grind A LOT to get the glyphs and souls...I remember I had to grind quite a lot in Aria of Sorrow too, but that grinding was actually fun (somehow, I dunno...), unlike Dawn of Sorrow's...
And no, this is not nostalgia, I played Dawn a few weeks after I finished Aria.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#62bcorneliaPosted 4/27/2013 3:44:54 PM
lunchEATSyou posted...
bcornelia posted...
Fou Lu posted...
Don't buy any. They weren't good, IGA hasn't made a good Castlevania since Curse of Darkness.

Curse of Darkness is one of the worst games I've ever played.

I liked it more than SOTN.

So you have piss-awful taste? Thanks for sharing, random person.
---
This is an elite pirate
#63notSFFPosted 4/27/2013 3:45:04 PM
Anyway, yeah, Ecclesia is easily the best.
---
SteamID: tsff20
Xbox Gamer Tag: TSFF19
#64DishSoapPosted 4/27/2013 3:48:46 PM
bcornelia posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...
bcornelia posted...
Fou Lu posted...
Don't buy any. They weren't good, IGA hasn't made a good Castlevania since Curse of Darkness.

Lol, but for the ds i love both dawn of sorrow and portrait of ruin, order of ecclesia was ok but not as fun as the other 2
---
3ds fc: 0259-0408-0854
#65lunchEATSyouPosted 4/27/2013 3:49:51 PM
bcornelia posted...
lunchEATSyou posted...
bcornelia posted...
Fou Lu posted...

lol
---
Height has nothing to do with skin colour, but I know this girl that tans alot that is short...yeah get your brain looked it, someone needs to fix it- DemonDog
#66Ultima_MePosted 5/1/2013 2:48:09 PM
Fou Lu posted...

I disagree with your view on the DS games, however I did enjoy Curse of Darkness. Even still, I liked Dawn of Sorrow better but my favorite ps2 game is lament of innocence.
#67LinkMaster2703Posted 5/1/2013 2:50:29 PM
Portrait of Ruin > Dawn of Sorrows > Order of Ecclesia

They're all good though.
#68toadiemanPosted 5/1/2013 2:54:21 PM
Order of Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow. I didn't care much for Portrait of Ruin.
#69VyersPosted 5/1/2013 3:06:51 PM
Portrait of Ruin was a good game.

Portrait of Ruin, however, is the worst game.

Its levels are too linear, they put too much worth in collecting and exploring (by exploring, I mean "walking around as the % rises"). The art style was poor, and the end of the game felt extremely rushed. It reused way too many assets. It also encouraged grinding to a ridiculous extent.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#70Hardley_SmithPosted 5/1/2013 3:10:59 PM
i played dawn of sorrow years ago and i loved it

i'm probably gonna get ecclesia soon. it looks awesome
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/SephkaBlight