Anyone losing interest in consoles but not handhelds?

#1TeremeiPosted 4/27/2013 1:18:48 PM
This is an old popular topic, but I'd still like to bring it up again. I've always been a gamer. Always had little collections for each system, even made money buying and selling. Games are part of my life. However, I look at where most of the fun games are, and they seem to be on handhelds. I was innitially excited about PS4 but thought, is $500 worth it for a better looking Killzone?

I MIGHT get a WiiU, but it's got to get some amazing killer Nintendo games first. To be honest I'd rather buy another gamecube and windwaker over the remake because the graphics are more simple and charming. In other words I haven't seen a single game yet, that makes me want to buy a wiiU.

However I look at all the games on my 3DS, and all the games coming. All the exciting stuff is on 3DS. And there are some good ones on the way for my Vita. I also keep an ipod touch with me, I can play quick 10 minute kairosoft sessions or a quick nimblequest game, or even play SNES games with a little hook on d-pad.

The brilliant games I love on SNES, PSX, Intellivision, were made by very small companies and a few people in some cases. Is all of the magic in the indie IOS games and lower budget games on 3DS? There's alot that goes into it, play anywhere, more affordable prices for new games, more variety and quality games it seems. This might be the first time I don't own a console ever. It's possible in 2+ years there will be enough cool stuff on WiiU I might get it. But with so many amazing games coming soon on 3DS, I don't even care.
---
B2FC: 3268 4276 3305 last $$: Persona 4 Golden LE, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Harvest Moon ANB
Playing:
#2yankee6903Posted 4/27/2013 1:21:31 PM
TLDR

To answer the topic title though I used to be entirely a console player. Then I got my Vita last summer and LOVED it. I enjoyed handheld gaming so much I then purchased a 3DS. Now, 95% of my gaming is on them.
---
ServantOfErieos posted...
What people don't realise is that I post from the heart, and the heart filters lie. So you can't lie to me.
#3poopfeasts420Posted 4/27/2013 1:22:02 PM
I feel the same way. I loved the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation. It seemed like there was a game for everyone no matter what genre they liked. This generation's consoles seem to be action game oriented.
I'm also considering a Wii U later on this year but I'm making sure that I want at least 5 games before I pick one up.
---
I AM DAVE EXCLAMATION MARK YOGNAUGHT
#4nazacuckooPosted 4/27/2013 1:25:52 PM
Not really losing interest, I still play games on my 360/PC, but the range of games coming out for handhelds this year looks better than the games consoles are getting this year.
Just my opinion, of course.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag: NazaCageRatt
The official Stalfos of the "A link to the Past 3DS" board.
#5blazeUP12Posted 4/27/2013 1:32:45 PM
I have a PS3 and Wii U and my 3DS XL gets much more use than either of them right now. I never really liked portable gaming before cause quite frankly the games always looked like crap to me. This current generation of handhelds fixed that problem though.
---
hello earthlings, i am from another planet
http://www.youtube.com/XXtheJUMPoffXX
#6Teremei(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2013 1:33:49 PM
yeah I think you hit on it, #1 factor is range of games. Sure there are some pretty RPGS on PS3, but they all seem to be the middling budget compile heart type games. Whereas the PS2 had things like Suikoden, shadow hearts, ect. . It's not just that, but those damn casual games. Dancing with a wii remote, god damn if you want to dance go to a club. :)

When the WiiU gets an amazing mario, zelda, metroid type games I will def consider it though.
---
B2FC: 3268 4276 3305 last $$: Persona 4 Golden LE, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Harvest Moon ANB
Playing:
#7esoteric42Posted 4/27/2013 1:36:32 PM
I prefer handhelds to consoles. I don't plan on buying a new console.

Furthermore, other than possibly a Vita, I don't see myself buying another handheld.

My backlog of DS and 3DS games is astounding, and would last me years to complete.
---
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#8LinkSSJ6Posted 4/27/2013 1:38:47 PM
No but I did lose interest in Playstations.
---
Got a Wii or Wii U but nothing new to play? Get Pandora's Tower!
http://www.pandorastowerwii.com/
#9mahgah91Posted 4/27/2013 1:40:54 PM
At this point? Yeah, I don't really care for Xbox 360 or PS3. The next Xbox or PS4 however, that might be a different story.
#10Limen123Posted 4/27/2013 1:56:20 PM
tl;dr

But yes, I was at one point a console gamer. Then I got the GBA. Been up to speed with handhelds and always one generation behind on consoles ever since. I got the PS2 when the PS3 was halfway through its life. And now that the PS4 is announced, I'm about to get a PS3 for a few certain games I've been itching to play. But unless there's a favorite series of mine that follows the PS4, I don't think I'll be getting it. Also got the GC when the Wii was out. But I've recently upgraded to Wii. I just don't play my consoles as often and as comfortably as my handhelds.
---
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9547/17817459.png