Anyone losing interest in consoles but not handhelds?

#31lambchipsPosted 4/27/2013 11:57:12 PM(edited)
I lost interest in consoles mid last gen (ps3/360/wii) due to the lack of variety... the wii had great potential and have some of the best games last gen but its far in between
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#32MrSpacelySlatePosted 4/27/2013 11:56:00 PM
I still regularly play Wii and 360.

My 3DS in comparison is just collecting dust.
#33ChuckRoastPosted 4/28/2013 9:36:30 AM
I think I'm losing interest in consoles as well.

I wish I never bought a 3DS shortly after I bought a 360. Poor thing is collecting dust now. However, I still play my Wii from time to time.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/chuckroast
#34UponADarkThornePosted 4/28/2013 10:13:46 AM
I love handhelds. I always did and my DS got much more play that anything else last generation - while I had a brief love affair with the X-Box 360 to play some of the Western RPGs that I couldn't play at the time because of my computer sucking I soon realized, aside from Fallout: New Vegas I wasn't missing much.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#35Lelouch71Posted 4/28/2013 11:14:09 AM
I'm still interested in consoles but I'm preferring handhelds gaming more. I like the portability plus I'm a jrpg fan and this where the games will be. Although I'm not a huge fan of FPS or games trying too hard to be Hollywood like movies.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#36gnugget5Posted 4/28/2013 12:38:05 PM
I'm 31 and have been an avid gamer since the NES hit (circa 1987 in the states) and consider gaming to be my #1 hobby.

Although I have truly loved console gaming over the years and cherish my collection...I really haven't played consoles much since 2008 or so. Little did I know that picking up a DS lite in 2006 (and a 3DSXL at launch) would forever change the way I played video games.

It's not that I'm opposed to playing console games - some (like Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy, etc.) have been truly amazing and worth every penny and hour spent. It's not that I dislike motion games or the current controller setups, each CAN provide different experiences for how games are played. For me, the single biggest hurdle that is overcome by portables is their portability and pick-up-and-play nature.

As a professional, work days are long and busy (often carrying over into the evening hours and/or weekends). Furthermore, my non-work 'free' time is split between time for myself (only a portion of which can be allocated towards gaming), my wife, my kids, and household maintenance/chores. Other than a few select occasions, I haven't been able to get a solid 30 minute block to play games in years. With consoles, this means booting up the TV/console, loading the game, playing....then hoping a save point is within reach when life crises happen (read: daughter climbing bookshelf, cat puked in the corner, etc.).

With portables (at least the DS/3DS), you close the lid and head off to the next thing. When time allows, you open the lid and it's as though you never left. This feature has single handedly allowed me to continue my gaming hobby.

Of course, gaming is only fun if there are games to suit your taste. Needless to say, when (J)RPGs began to migrate toward portable systems, I was sold and haven't looked back. My library of ~45 DS titles and 14 3DS titles offers plenty of variety to meet different gaming needs and I've had little incentive (other than nostalgia) to plug in my old consoles. Perhaps once my kids are old enough, the multiplayer aspect of some of my Wii games will be better utilized...but for a single player gamer that happens to moonlight as a dad/husband/professional/homeowner, portables are where it's at.
#37cmk8Posted 4/28/2013 1:18:23 PM
I play my 3ds more mainly because it's the easiest way to play now given my family hog the telly, I don't want my 2 year old seeing me decapitate zombies etc.
I also don;t have the time to invest in long plays that a lot of decent console games need / would draw me into.
---
Mahna Mahna.
Gamertag - CMK8, Nintendo Network - Knowles
#38blazingsonicPosted 4/28/2013 1:25:24 PM
Man last gen was so pop in and play now consoles have to have other forms of media, and menus to navigate through, even the poor handhelds are like this, Time changes sure can be hard to adjust to.
---
PSZ FC: Team-B 1892-2449-7676
PSZ FC Team-A 4125-5095-5213
#39tooweakPosted 4/28/2013 2:33:01 PM
Most of my gaming is done at home. So the portability isn't a big factor.
I want to say I'm not losing interest in consoles.
I want to say I'm not migrating to handheld main.

But, unless FF14 PS3 ends up being pre-Wings FF11 good, saying such things would be a lie.

And if FF14 does end up good, then it might be even worse for consoles. Since I'd probably be playing handhelds during downtime, afk, semi-afk, waiting on others to log on, etc.
---
It happened again. I cried at another Pokemon game.
#40Heracross17Posted 4/28/2013 2:51:44 PM
What I like about handheld gaming is the in and out aspect of it. I don't need to be sitting in front of the television to play, nor do I have to play for a few hours to get from point A to point B.

That said, there are just some things that consoles do better:

Controls, graphics, and just AAA titles in general. I can't imagine Borderlands 2 or inFamous being on handhelds and being as good.

So to answer the question, no I'm not losing interest in consoles. I like consoles and handhelds for their respective strengths.
---
HG FC: 2666 6874 1041
Black FC: 1764 7784 9186