Should I preorder Shin Megami Tensei IV?

#11TastyKittyMMMM(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 4:35:23 PM(edited)
Lelouch71 posted...
TastyKittyMMMM posted...
'm just worried because this is the first time they've released a "real" SMT game in over a decade (unless you count Strange Journey) so I'm a little afraid perhaps they've lost their touch for the more post-apocalyptic setting

Strange Journey counts as a main title. So no it hasn't been a decade. Now it has been a decade since we had numbered SMT title. With SJ as an indicator, they haven't lost their touch. They still got it. Just remember it won't be like Nocturne. SMT4 is more similar to SMT1 and 2 in story and themes.

What exactly does that mean? I've never finished any of the main SMT games because of my ADD nature (well that and they're kinda hard) so what exactly is the difference between 1+2 in 3, storywise? Aren't they all post-apocalyptic?

Also is there ANY reason I should play these games in order? Can I work backwards just like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest? IV, then Strange Journey, then Nocturne, then the first two? Somehow, that seems rather appropriate to me.
#12MrKunioPosted 4/28/2013 4:41:17 PM
TastyKittyMMMM posted...
Lelouch71 posted...
TastyKittyMMMM posted...
'm just worried because this is the first time they've released a "real" SMT game in over a decade (unless you count Strange Journey) so I'm a little afraid perhaps they've lost their touch for the more post-apocalyptic setting

Strange Journey counts as a main title. So no it hasn't been a decade. Now it has been a decade since we had numbered SMT title. With SJ as an indicator, they haven't lost their touch. They still got it. Just remember it won't be like Nocturne. SMT4 is more similar to SMT1 and 2 in story and themes.

What exactly does that mean? I've never finished any of the main SMT games because of my ADD nature (well that and they're kinda hard) so what exactly is the difference between 1+2 in 3, storywise? Aren't they all post-apocalyptic?

Also is there ANY reason I should play these games in order? Can I work backwards just like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest? IV, then Strange Journey, then Nocturne, then the first two? Somehow, that seems rather appropriate to me.

Nah, just pick one and play.
---
Official Mr. Bousouzoku 1986
3DS Fc: Mr. Kunio - 3437-4087-1475
#13Capitan_KidPosted 4/28/2013 4:42:41 PM
Do it for your country. For America!
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
Official Husband of Nowi
#14GhetsisPosted 4/28/2013 4:45:15 PM
Well, Shin Megami Tensei II is a sequel to the first SMT, so you should at least play those two in order.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#15confettistormPosted 4/28/2013 4:48:36 PM
TastyKittyMMMM posted...
Do we have any good previews of this yet? Is there any reason to assume this game will suck? When has Atlus released a bad SMT-related game?

"Suck" and "Shin Megami Tensei" should never go in a sentence together.

The exception being, "Shin Megami Tensei will suck all the free time out of your life."
#16Hercik1Posted 4/28/2013 4:50:17 PM
21_21 posted...
Goten55 posted...
Is there any reason to assume this game will suck

"Atlus" and "Sucky games" never go together and never will.

Yeah this. In fact, their worst game, which they merely published, was Code of Princess, and even that is still getting good reps.

You forgot they publish game of thrones game but I don't blame you I liked to forget that too.
#17TeremeiPosted 4/28/2013 4:56:26 PM
Yes, preorder it. There have been many amazing games in that series. Devil Survivor and Persona come to mind (yes I know it's not exactly the same). Since SMTIV is a numbered release in the MAIN series. You know they are putting all of their best people on the game. I have no doubt it is going to be amazing and addictive.
---
B2FC: 3268 4276 3305 last $$: Persona 4 Golden LE, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Harvest Moon ANB
Playing: