Nintendo censored Fire Emblem Awakening in Europe!!! >_>

#41NewbieN00bPosted 4/28/2013 1:18:54 PM
confettistorm posted...
HellsingOrg posted...
http://i.imgur.com/e4VxkDs.jpg?1

^^^ thats the NA version.
The EU version or UK translation has a conversation about hair

>You know! Your hair! it's so sleek, (...)

I guess Nintendo is still stuck in the 90s and censoring Mortal Kombat blood to sweat and Final Fantasy spells like Holy to Pearl >_>

I hope Nintendo realizes that ADULTS/TEENS want to play ADULT TEEN games and not have them censored!!! >:(

You really have nothing better to do but to complain?
You see, this is why companies can never get an accurate representation of what to improve at.
You have TC complaining about one line in a game.

Get over yourself.

It was more than one line, but I still agree with you.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#42BeanBeanKingdomPosted 4/28/2013 1:23:27 PM
NewbieN00b posted...

To be quite honest, we don't even know if it's really censorship or being more faithful to the original Japanese script. Yeah, it's most likely a case of censorship, but NoE's translations are usually very faithful to the Japanese script while NoA's take more liberties.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#43NewbieN00bPosted 4/28/2013 1:40:15 PM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
NewbieN00b posted...

To be quite honest, we don't even know if it's really censorship or being more faithful to the original Japanese script. Yeah, it's most likely a case of censorship, but NoE's translations are usually very faithful to the Japanese script while NoA's take more liberties.

But doesn't NoE use the NoA script for most of the game?

I know the NoA script is used for the NoE demo, at least...
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#44BeanBeanKingdomPosted 4/28/2013 1:42:47 PM
NewbieN00b posted...
NewbieN00b posted...

But doesn't NoE use the NoA script for most of the game?

I know the NoA script is used for the NoE demo, at least...

Yeah, but there are differences here and there, not just in spelling. Those I assume must have a reference in the form of the Japanese script, or else they'd be pulling the changes out of nowhere.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#45TheMisterManGuyPosted 4/28/2013 1:47:51 PM
NewbieN00b posted...

Taking more liberities isn't necessarily a bad thing if done right. Often times, it's a way to make the script more natural for western audiences. As long as the new lines make sense and are well written, it's not really a problem. Plus, if a script is too faithful to the japanese one, it may come off as stilted, akward, and sometimes unintentionally silly. BTW, 8-4 worked on the localization for this game, Treehouse just supervised.
---
In a gaming world filled with chaos & fanboyism, I try to be the voice that guides people to the truth.
#46BeanBeanKingdomPosted 4/28/2013 1:49:58 PM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
Taking more liberities isn't necessarily a bad thing if done right. Often times, it's a way to make the script more natural for western audiences. As long as the new lines make sense and are well written, it's not really a problem. Plus, if a script is too faithful to the japanese one, it may come off as stilted, akward, and sometimes unintentionally silly. BTW, 8-4 worked on the localization for this game, Treehouse just supervised.

Yeah, I like when liberties are taken, I'm not one of those people who think the original version of a work is sacred. The localized script of Kid Icarus Uprising, for instance, was all NoA, and all brilliant. I was just stating how things might've gone regarding this case of "censorship".
---
#47TheMisterManGuyPosted 4/28/2013 1:56:09 PM

Yeah, I like when liberties are taken, I'm not one of those people who think the original version of a work is sacred. The localized script of Kid Icarus Uprising, for instance, was all NoA, and all brilliant. I was just stating how things might've gone regarding this case of "censorship".

Could be. I heard Europe has stricter guidelines in some cases when it comes to video games. So if breasts were mentioned, it would probably get a 16+ rating. But, that's just my wacky theory.
---
In a gaming world filled with chaos & fanboyism, I try to be the voice that guides people to the truth.
#48BeanBeanKingdomPosted 4/28/2013 2:02:34 PM
Could be. I heard Europe has stricter guidelines in some cases when it comes to video games. So if breasts were mentioned, it would probably get a 16+ rating. But, that's just my wacky theory.

Ehhh, dunno about that. In my experience as a European gamer, Europe is stricter towards violence and gambling and much, much more lax towards sexual contents. Heck, the "sexual contents" descriptor usually does not correspond to the ESRB's "suggestive themes" one, meaning skimpy outfits aren't even aknowledged. Case in point, Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 got a 12 rating (M in America). Of course, actively talking about breasts would be a little different, but Nowi didn't outright call them that. I'm not too sure they did it to avoid a reclassification; also, I believe DLCs can have standalone classifications that do not necessarily have to be the same as that of the main game (since they're released later on).
---
#49nonexistingheroPosted 4/28/2013 2:09:37 PM
Endgame posted...
quite frankly, I'm surprised Nowi the pedobait was left completely alone

you'd think a sexualized little girl wouldn't fly anywhere other than Japan, but apparently not

Iwata brainwashed us all into thinking it's fine.

It's pretty normal for girls (and boys) as young as 12-13 to have sex. It's not the majority, but it's common enough for it to not be strange. And these days, in 1st world countries, it's very common for them to start having girl/boyfriends at that age. I'm not one of them, but it's stupid that it's so 'taboo' and 'controversial' whenever it's the focus in movies and games.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#50BeanBeanKingdomPosted 4/28/2013 2:16:29 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
Endgame posted...
quite frankly, I'm surprised Nowi the pedobait was left completely alone

you'd think a sexualized little girl wouldn't fly anywhere other than Japan, but apparently not

Iwata brainwashed us all into thinking it's fine.

It's pretty normal for girls (and boys) as young as 12-13 to have sex. It's not the majority, but it's common enough for it to not be strange. And these days, in 1st world countries, it's very common for them to start having girl/boyfriends at that age. I'm not one of them, but it's stupid that it's so 'taboo' and 'controversial' whenever it's the focus in movies and games.

While it's true that society always keeps moving forward, it doesn't mean every change should be readily accepted. I think people I'd still see as and call kids having sex should not fly so easily in our countries. And while they're thankfully not as sexualized as Nowi, quite a few girls that age I see in my everyday life are sexualized, which is something that irks me. But maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age of twenty.
---