Nintendo censored Fire Emblem Awakening in Europe!!! >_>

#61RX02BansheePosted 4/29/2013 2:11:03 AM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
NewbieN00b posted...
It was more than one line, but I still agree with you.

To be quite honest, we don't even know if it's really censorship or being more faithful to the original Japanese script. Yeah, it's most likely a case of censorship, but NoE's translations are usually very faithful to the Japanese script while NoA's take more liberties.

Taking more liberities isn't necessarily a bad thing if done right. Often times, it's a way to make the script more natural for western audiences. As long as the new lines make sense and are well written, it's not really a problem. Plus, if a script is too faithful to the japanese one, it may come off as stilted, akward, and sometimes unintentionally silly.

Or, better yet, they simply adapt it so it runs smoothly but is still faithful. The mark of a good translation and adaption is that it remains faithful to the original, the sign of a butchering is when they start hacking away at anything.

Not only that, but when they aren't faithful you have no idea where their changes begin and the actual original things begin. Take DBZ for example, that was "americanized" (and sounded really stupid until halfway through the Cell saga) and half the time they even outright diverted from what was actually happening with their statments.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Current Location: In your nightmares with a knife and a gun and a chilling wail
#62Richman80Posted 4/29/2013 3:14:14 AM
Lol....
That conversation in the NA version.. Was that about :
http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/3025-if-you-know-what-i-mean.png
---
White : 0390-4869-3852 White 2 : 5372 8262 3233
Wario Ware D.I.Y. DS Code : 5028-0921-1339
#63BeanBeanKingdomPosted 4/29/2013 3:19:05 AM
HellsingOrg posted...
Its sad but its the reason why I have to buy things in their original country sometimes.
I can't wait tor the day when there will be 1 translation for all english countries and we won't have so many changes and censorship differences.

ITT: One conversation in a text-heavy game = many changes.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#64JadebellPosted 4/29/2013 3:50:39 AM
HellsingOrg posted...
I can't wait tor the day when there will be 1 translation for all english countries and we won't have so many changes and censorship differences.

Screw that. I happen to like it when the American English is changed to British English. It means NoE are actually bothering to think about the UK during localisation for a change.

I haven't played this game, are these "boingy bits" important to the plot or something?
#65BeanBeanKingdomPosted 4/29/2013 3:55:36 AM
Jadebell posted...
HellsingOrg posted...

Screw that. I happen to like it when the American English is changed to British English. It means NoE are actually bothering to think about the UK during localisation for a change.

I haven't played this game, are these "boingy bits" important to the plot or something?

Tharja's boobs destroy society. (cookie for reference)
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#66KneesockPosted 4/29/2013 3:57:06 AM
So... are they white as snow & soft as pillows?
---
3DS FC - 3351 4710 9463
#67NewbieN00bPosted 4/29/2013 4:06:42 AM
Kneesock posted...
So... are they white as snow & soft as pillows?

They're soft as pillows, but Nowi doesn't comment on the color. (well, Tharja is wearing black clothing.)
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#68JadebellPosted 4/29/2013 4:28:59 AM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
Jadebell posted...
HellsingOrg posted...

Tharja's boobs destroy society. (cookie for reference)

No cookie for me, sadly. :( Though the thought of boobies destroying society does sound hilarious when taken out of context. Like they have some kind of superpower, like... nipples that shoot lightning beams.

Wow, I have gone way off topic...
#69Edouard_kerooPosted 4/29/2013 9:56:52 AM
You know what would be really smart to settle this once for all ? seeking the part in Japanese and see what version is closer.
---
WDIYShowcase:0134 0338 9685 3305.PSN:Omilun
DK3 OCRemix album :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzm5yJW1ZSY&hd=1
#70confettistormPosted 4/29/2013 11:52:44 AM
If someone stole $2 from TC, he would similarly extrapolate it to having lost his entire life savings.