The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Difference between Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

#1jim200Posted 4/28/2013 2:04:42 PM
I thought the games were called "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona"?
---
PSN: Jemi200 ::: 3DS FC: 5129-0276-3428 Name: Jemi
#2roflman08Posted 4/28/2013 2:10:21 PM(edited)
The SMT prefix was added with P3 to make it more recognizable in NA, IIRC

---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.9
#3MooglePeruPosted 4/28/2013 2:12:04 PM
Persona is a sub-series of SMT.

SMT is the franchise. Other subseries include Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, Demi Kids, The Raidou games, etc.

SMT IV will be the fourth (sixth if you count IF and Strange Journey) in the main series.I think. Some SMT nut correct me if I'm wrong.
---
King of the Zelda Wii U Board
Mog can go **** himself - Members of the ZWU Board
#4DynamicJumpIuffPosted 4/28/2013 2:12:12 PM
The SMT prefix was added with P3 to make it more recognizable in NA, IIRC

That's true of Digital Devil Saga and other Spin-offs as well.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#5GhetsisPosted 4/28/2013 2:12:26 PM
The SMT name was added outside of Japan, supposedly to increase sales through brand recognition. Starting with P4G, the Persona series has eclipsed the actual SMT series in terms of popularity, so it dropped the title.

In Japan, none of the Persona games has the SMT name. Persona 1 had "Megami Ibunroku," a spinoff label that Devil Survivor 1 also got.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#6VenustraphobiaPosted 4/28/2013 2:23:37 PM
The "Megami Tensei" franchise consists of Shin Megami Tensei games, as well as Persona games. However, the Persona series itself is an offshoot of an SNES MegaTen game called Shin Megami Tensei if..., which itself is an offshoot of the Shin Megami Tensei series, despite it being a game within the same vein as the Shin Megami Tensei series.

Shin Megami Tensei games are known to have distinctive tropes that are generally not utilized in Persona games, these tropes include:
- Opposing factions with a set of ideologies. (Law vs. Chaos)
- Demons that are central to the plot.
- The theme of enlightenment.
- The "friends become enemies" syndrome.
- Complex dungeons with puzzle solving mechanics.
- Demon negotiation.
- Demon party members.
- Post-apocalyptic settings.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are both Megami Tensei series, but they are not connected to each other in terms of plot and direction. In Japan, "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4" is simply labeled as just "Persona 4." With the success of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne in America, AtlusUSA decided to use the Shin Megami Tensei name as a "title stamp" for subsequent Megami Tensei games, mainly for marketing purposes, regardless of whether or not they were connected to the main series.
#7deimos91Posted 4/28/2013 2:28:20 PM
jim200 posted...
I thought the games were called "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona"?

it is a SMT game but a spinoff as in how Dragon quest monsters is a DQ spinoff same franchise some different mechanics
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#8jovewolfPosted 4/28/2013 6:54:40 PM(edited)
MooglePeru posted...
Persona is a sub-series of SMT.

SMT is the franchise. Other subseries include Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, Demi Kids, The Raidou games, etc.

SMT IV will be the fourth (sixth if you count IF and Strange Journey) in the main series.I think. Some SMT nut correct me if I'm wrong.

Well you forgot NiNE but that's okay, I think Atlus wants to forget that one too.

And, surprisingly, Devil Children/DemiKids does have a tiny Shin Megami Tensei on the title, even in Japan.

The first Last Bible game gets a Megami Tensei Gaiden, which makes it even older vintage than Shin Megami Tensei. Interestingly in the US it got the same "Revelations" title as Persona 1 PSX.

---
"Don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."