Tales of the Abyss: Is it good?

#1MishimaBloodPosted 4/28/2013 3:02:30 PM
I just saw there s an anime of it and thought about getting it. The opening was great, anyway. I checked some gameplay vids but Im still confused about the way it plays. I heard that the tales series are great but I saw a review ( I think it was classic game room) in which he said horrible thing about it. So to those who played it, is it good or bad? Does it have a good storyline?
Thanks
---
Not removing this until I see DMC5 announced
PSN:SSmokinSickStyle
#2Jakerific44Posted 4/28/2013 3:05:05 PM
It's a good game with a good story line, I think ^__^
---
My Anime List:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Jakerific
#3SMASHKING84Posted 4/28/2013 3:05:12 PM
yes it's good in fact it's one of the best game i've played imo
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzwlOTUXzEM my favorite mario games http://tinyurl.com/d3d5aq9 thanks supershadow for this
#4MonkeyShamanPosted 4/28/2013 3:06:47 PM
It's good. The battle system is much better in other Tales games, but still fun in Abyss.
#5Kinneth123Posted 4/28/2013 3:10:25 PM
It's quite good, but you'll need a guide for some of the sidequests... no cues whatsoever in-game for a good amount of them.
---
When your friend's last words to you include "Who else will I eat ice cream with?!" You might want to rethink your friends. ^^;
#6NinjaKitsunePosted 4/28/2013 3:19:26 PM
First Tales game I've played, and I enjoyed it immensely.
---
Professor Snape definitely does not have pointed ears, and under no circumstances is he to be addressed as 'Spock'.
#7Willie_MakeitPosted 4/28/2013 3:48:11 PM
It's a bit overrated, but it's still pretty good. It's worth at least one playthrough
---
Sig.
#8REMercsChampPosted 4/28/2013 4:01:26 PM
It's easily 7-8/10 quality, higher if you're into tales games/animeish type games.
---
Official Drug Lord of the Random Insanity cartel family
#9McMarblesPosted 4/28/2013 4:08:36 PM
It's very good. If you like JRPGs and haven't played it yet, do so immediately.
---
Currently playing: Tales of the Abyss (3DS version), Pushmo, Zelda: Link's Awakening
Rainbow Dash is best pony. Fact.
#10LyokoNinjaPosted 4/28/2013 4:14:18 PM
The only gripe I have is that battles with normal enemies are fairly easy (at least on normal mode), but every single boss is actually quite difficult the first time and I end up dying and using the hint provided in the skit before reloading my save. The spike in difficulty just makes me panic initially, and I can recover from there. If you don't mind retrying bosses every now and then, I don't see why you shouldn't give it a shot.

Actual battles are on a three dimensional cylindrical field, but you can't circle around enemies until you get an ability like three to five normal encounters in, which means about half an hour or so, including story.

You ever use Marth in Smash Bros. with his Side + B attack and find different combos using up/down/side/neutral in subsequent hits past the first? Similar thing in Tales of the Abyss, except with the A button. B is for attacks that use the equivalent of MP in the game, which you restore with items or by dealing damage with normal A attacks.

You'll get the hang of it by the time you get more in depth with the battle system, and there are tutorials, so it's not too hard at first.

Oh, and it's kinda anti-grinding when it comes to money, or at least in the beginning. You'll find large amounts of it in chests and whatnot in the areas where you fight, but random encounters hardly give you any, so you have to decide who needs that shiny new stronger weapon or armor and who's fine if you don't want to fight weak normal enemies for a while. It's still a good idea not to run away from them so you're not too weak from lack of experience, though.