Tales of the Abyss: Is it good?

#21legendarylemurPosted 4/29/2013 3:30:53 AM(edited)
OoSubaruoO posted...
legendarylemur posted...
OoSubaruoO posted...
One of the best Tales game in the series imo. Main reason is Jade.

You'll be surprised that a lot of people find her pretty boring. I think it's a bit overexaggerated, but I think it's mainly due to how the main heroines are usually very colorful and bright.

"Her"? I think you're confused with someone else.

Frack I read that as Tear. Yes I agree, Jade is made of sheer awesomeness. I love how he comes to pretty much have a father and son relationship with Luke
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
CLICK HERE FOR FAME AND GLORY
#22JadebellPosted 4/29/2013 4:00:46 AM
I think it's one of those love/hate games as well. I didn't like it at all, I thought Symphonia was better... and while Graces has a very generic story, the gameplay more than made up for it. I enjoyed the battles in Graces way more than Abyss.
#23DishSoapPosted 4/29/2013 4:58:17 AM
Jadebell posted...
I think it's one of those love/hate games as well. I didn't like it at all, I thought Symphonia was better... and while Graces has a very generic story, the gameplay more than made up for it. I enjoyed the battles in Graces way more than Abyss.

I agree
---
3ds fc: 0259-0408-0854
#24NettoSaitoPosted 4/29/2013 6:03:20 AM
While I normally like Classic Game Room, they did a BAD job of reviewing Abyss. The thing is, they hated it because, well, they hated the characters, and the story.... THAT'S HOW ABYSS IS MEANT TO BE DURING THE INTRO!

You will flat out hate Luke. He's a brat, he doesn't know anything about the world, and he is just a complete idiot. He does things that'll make you hate him, and you just won't care about him at all; that is until something happens. One event happens which COMPLETELY changes the game, and that's when it gets good. Without spoiling too much..... Long Hair Luke = the guy everyone hates, Short Hair Luke = a good character you'll come to like.

As for the gameplay, its like the other tales of games. It plays like a standard JRPG with a world map, and towns, but its combat is completely in real time, and plays like a fighter. You view the battles form a side view, and it is up to you to come up with combos to kill the enemies. You can chain different skills together to keep the hits going, and you can also switch to your other party members at anytime to take control.

The only real downside to Abyss is the fact that it has the most side quests that can be MISSED. If you don't follow a sidequest guide for this game, you'll be missing them all the time, and in return you'll be missing out on a lot of the game's story. There's also a LOT of skits that can be missed this time around as well (hint: stay in every inn as soon as you enter a town). Also, the skits aren't voice acted in this one either. This was before the US version of the Tales of games had a higher budget.

Really Abyss is a good game, but I do like the other games a lot better. If you have a 360, I recommend getting Tales of Vesperia over Abyss, and I also recommend checking out Tales of Graces if if you have a ps3.
---
3DS - [1203-9218-7780] | XBL - [NettoSaito] | PSN - [NettoSaito] | NN - [NettoSaito]
Netto's Game Room [News and Reviews] - http://nettosgameroom.blogspot.com/
#25MishimaBlood(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 6:32:55 AM
NettoSaito posted...
While I normally like Classic Game Room, they did a BAD job of reviewing Abyss. The thing is, they hated it because, well, they hated the characters, and the story.... THAT'S HOW ABYSS IS MEANT TO BE DURING THE INTRO!

You will flat out hate Luke. He's a brat, he doesn't know anything about the world, and he is just a complete idiot. He does things that'll make you hate him, and you just won't care about him at all; that is until something happens. One event happens which COMPLETELY changes the game, and that's when it gets good. Without spoiling too much..... Long Hair Luke = the guy everyone hates, Short Hair Luke = a good character you'll come to like.

As for the gameplay, its like the other tales of games. It plays like a standard JRPG with a world map, and towns, but its combat is completely in real time, and plays like a fighter. You view the battles form a side view, and it is up to you to come up with combos to kill the enemies. You can chain different skills together to keep the hits going, and you can also switch to your other party members at anytime to take control.

The only real downside to Abyss is the fact that it has the most side quests that can be MISSED. If you don't follow a sidequest guide for this game, you'll be missing them all the time, and in return you'll be missing out on a lot of the game's story. There's also a LOT of skits that can be missed this time around as well (hint: stay in every inn as soon as you enter a town). Also, the skits aren't voice acted in this one either. This was before the US version of the Tales of games had a higher budget.

Really Abyss is a good game, but I do like the other games a lot better. If you have a 360, I recommend getting Tales of Vesperia over Abyss, and I also recommend checking out Tales of Graces if if you have a ps3.

Thanks for the info. I dont play my ps3 anymore, I found handhelds a lot more comfortable to play RPGs. Ill get the game as soon as possible
---
Not removing this until I see DMC5 announced
PSN:SSmokinSickStyle