Rate the portable: Nintendo DS

#51GoldenJoe24Posted 4/30/2013 11:51:55 PM
God tier. It's one of the all time great systems, right up there with the SNES. In a way, it was like a second coming of the SNES and N64. Some truly wonderful games.
#52VyersPosted 5/1/2013 12:17:38 AM
metroid00700 posted...
Vyers posted...
\
Also, since the Nintendo DS is not region-locked, I don't exactly see the problem of listing Japan-only games? Mind you, every single Japan-only game on this list has been very heavily imported and given good reviews.

I did it to save time/room. Each GB/DS has Japanese fighting games that are both awesome and terrible, so I decided against listing every portable anime-based fighter as that'd take a long time and I'd probably misspell everything. Another reason I omitted Japanese games is because almost all of the Gameboy/GBC games lack any sort professional review for me to present. I'm not going to put in random Japanese games from that era just because one GameFAQs reviewer gave a game I never heard of a 10/10. Doing that would neither help nor hinder my point. If you want to do it (and be fair to the Gameboys, your previous lists were not comprehensive), go ahead. Additionally, I played 90% of the games I listed, and while almost all of them have high scores across the board, they also are games I personally played and would recommend to anyone.

As for the "GameRankings is a more reliable source for game ratings", no, it is not. On purpose, I put Primal Rage for the Game Boy in my list because even though that game mostly has terrible scores, it has a 6.3 on GameRankings as seen here
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/585861-primal-rage
Now, anyone that looked into the score would see it's comprised of one opinion and shouldn't be taken seriously, but the fact is GameRankings scores cannot be trusted at a glace. With modern games this is less of a problem but for older games, GR is no where near reliable enough to use.

I was actually responding to ORANGE; I had removed the quote to save space, but ended up not using that space in the end. Anyway...

Your argument against GameRankings fails immediately because you provide nothing whatsoever in substitution. It's like saying that the way our prisons are kept in this day and age is not ideal, and yet not giving any solution to the problem. It's just words. You can tell me how much GameRankings sucks - even though in video game terms <65% is not very good - but without a counter-suggestion to what I should base my list on besides "my own opinion" (which is even less reliable because it's that much easier to call bias toward), it is irrelevant that Primal Rage's reviews are somewhat better on GameRankings than the user reviews on GameFAQs.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!
#53metroid00700Posted 5/1/2013 4:57:22 AM
Vyers posted...
metroid00700 posted...
Vyers posted...
\
Also, since the Nintendo DS is not region-locked, I don't exactly see the problem of listing Japan-only games? Mind you, every single Japan-only game on this list has been very heavily imported and given good reviews.

I did it to save time/room. Each GB/DS has Japanese fighting games that are both awesome and terrible, so I decided against listing every portable anime-based fighter as that'd take a long time and I'd probably misspell everything. Another reason I omitted Japanese games is because almost all of the Gameboy/GBC games lack any sort professional review for me to present. I'm not going to put in random Japanese games from that era just because one GameFAQs reviewer gave a game I never heard of a 10/10. Doing that would neither help nor hinder my point. If you want to do it (and be fair to the Gameboys, your previous lists were not comprehensive), go ahead. Additionally, I played 90% of the games I listed, and while almost all of them have high scores across the board, they also are games I personally played and would recommend to anyone.

As for the "GameRankings is a more reliable source for game ratings", no, it is not. On purpose, I put Primal Rage for the Game Boy in my list because even though that game mostly has terrible scores, it has a 6.3 on GameRankings as seen here
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gameboy/585861-primal-rage
Now, anyone that looked into the score would see it's comprised of one opinion and shouldn't be taken seriously, but the fact is GameRankings scores cannot be trusted at a glace. With modern games this is less of a problem but for older games, GR is no where near reliable enough to use.

I was actually responding to ORANGE; I had removed the quote to save space, but ended up not using that space in the end. Anyway...

Your argument against GameRankings fails immediately because you provide nothing whatsoever in substitution. It's like saying that the way our prisons are kept in this day and age is not ideal, and yet not giving any solution to the problem. It's just words. You can tell me how much GameRankings sucks - even though in video game terms <65% is not very good - but without a counter-suggestion to what I should base my list on besides "my own opinion" (which is even less reliable because it's that much easier to call bias toward), it is irrelevant that Primal Rage's reviews are somewhat better on GameRankings than the user reviews on GameFAQs.

You're right. In that case, I suppose we'd need to whip out EGM, Gamepro, and other 90s gaming mags and do an average from them. Still though, the main point from my list remains. Plenty of great fighters are on Gameboy and especially GBA.
---
Intel Core i7-3610QM/2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT/12GB DDR3 RAM
SEGA Dreamcast: THE Best Gaming System since 9/9/99
#54PHEEliNUXPosted 5/1/2013 4:58:41 AM
God-tier, Just like with the PSP
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"