Review: Fire Emblem: Awakening

#11TIGERJACKS0N-Posted 4/29/2013 5:18:54 PM
I played the demo and the fact that the characters do not have feet is disturbing
---
Everyday the sun comes up around her, she can make the birds, sing harmony!
http://i.imgur.com/VBsWOu2.png <3 Ain't no woman like the one i got..
#12wrightOBJECTIONPosted 4/29/2013 5:39:46 PM
TIGERJACKS0N- posted...
I played the demo and the fact that the characters do not have feet is disturbing

This is such a small detail but it bugs me to no end. The characters all walk like they're wearing really tall high heels.
#13paleselan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 8:05:26 PM
SoaringDive posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
21_21 posted...
Not a bad review. You did an excellent job covering what the game is about and what to expect. Definitely a video worth recommending to anyone wanting to know the gist of the game as well as the quality.

Of course, one thing, and this is just an opinion, but one of your complaints was that the game only had voiceovers for 10% of the game. Quite frankly, I don't think the amount of voice acting matters, especially since Fire Emblem games in general don't have voice acting barring special cutscenes.

Nintendo games in general are less than 2% Voice Acted. A decade from now are you still going to reassure lazyness and nickle and diming? You payed $40 for a game with not so high production values, you should expect full voice acting and orchestrated music for what you're paying.

Except, with the amount of dialogue, you'd have to expect that price to go sky rocketing. Voice actors aren't cheap. It isn't laziness, as that would get you fired. It's money and time constraints.

But 90% of other games that come out feature full voice acting...
#14paleselan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 8:06:03 PM
wrightOBJECTION posted...
TIGERJACKS0N- posted...

This is such a small detail but it bugs me to no end. The characters all walk like they're wearing really tall high heels.

Luckily, that's one of the biggest flaws. Most of the rest of the game is great!
#15pbandjamesPosted 4/29/2013 8:35:21 PM
paleselan posted...
SoaringDive posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
21_21 posted...
Not a bad review. You did an excellent job covering what the game is about and what to expect. Definitely a video worth recommending to anyone wanting to know the gist of the game as well as the quality.

Of course, one thing, and this is just an opinion, but one of your complaints was that the game only had voiceovers for 10% of the game. Quite frankly, I don't think the amount of voice acting matters, especially since Fire Emblem games in general don't have voice acting barring special cutscenes.

Nintendo games in general are less than 2% Voice Acted. A decade from now are you still going to reassure lazyness and nickle and diming? You payed $40 for a game with not so high production values, you should expect full voice acting and orchestrated music for what you're paying.

Except, with the amount of dialogue, you'd have to expect that price to go sky rocketing. Voice actors aren't cheap. It isn't laziness, as that would get you fired. It's money and time constraints.

But 90% of other games that come out feature full voice acting...

Yeah, for console games. Many text-heavy handheld series' don't feature full voice acting, as it's too much money with not enough return.

Professor Layton and Ace Attorney are two notable examples of not having a lot of voice acting.

Honestly, I like the grunts and one-word phrases. I read a lot faster than the characters talk in games, usually, so it's annoying for me to wait for the character to finish what they're saying before pressing the button. I also want to hear the character's voice, though, so I wait while the character slowly finishes. I think this method works really great for me, and I really like the style of it (seriously, I'm not just trying to defend "laziness" or anything). I get to imagine how the character would say what they're saying my way, in the actual established voice. I think it would be a cool feature in future games to have an option like this, or full voice acting (or no VA, I guess). I'd use it, depending on the game.
---
Game news is the best news.
#16ORANGE666Posted 4/29/2013 10:05:26 PM(edited)
SoaringDive posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
21_21 posted...

Fire Emblem doesn't even have that much dialogue. And the price sky rocketing? Is that a joke? RPG's on the PS3 sell less than 100k and still have full voice acting with a larger budget than Fire Emblem which sold 400k+, at $60 yes but since Fire Emblem is first party game, there's no enormous lisense fee to take into account. Nintendo once again cuts corners with its budget to maximize profits, yet we still have people defending it. You're just screwing your selves with your logic by accepting everything and not expecting more.

Did Iwata not say the goal of a company is not to satisfy the consumer, rather have them beg for more? Because a satisfied customer is a customer who won't want more.

This is true for any company. If people were happy with their tablet, would they buy a nicer one they see on TV? No, because the one they have is enough. By adding new features and improving their product bit by bit, they can get people to buy more products.

Same for games. If you don't complain, you're a satisfied customer, there is no need for improvement or change from the company for your needs, they will cater to the needs of the complainers. Such as me, who wants voice acting, but unfortunately, Its seems I'm in a minority...

But of course, companies won't always listen to the complainers because again, they need more people complaining and less people satisfied or create a situation they would be unsatisfied by creating a new product. It's a never ending cycle finding even ground between complainers and satisfied people
#17NewbieN00bPosted 4/30/2013 2:29:10 PM(edited)
ORANGE666 posted...
SoaringDive posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
21_21 posted...

Fire Emblem doesn't even have that much dialogue. [snip]

Are we talking about just the main story? If so yeah, sure.
Not sure if you include the sidequests, as that adds up to ~50ish chapters. Granted, there isn't a ton of dialogue for some chapters.

But if you're including supports.... ehhh.
I just don't see them voicing the 222+ bonus conversations(This is not counting the father/kid ones and the regular friendship ones, and if you count each rank(C, B, A, S) instead of just counting the actual pairs it's 888+ different conversations.)

Those conversations among 32+ different characters makes it kind of a stretch >.>
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#18GoodOlJrPosted 4/30/2013 2:39:15 PM
21_21 posted...

meh, its something thats worth exposing. The lack of voice acting was kind of saddening my first playthrough, but replaying it, im glad there is none lol
---
http://i.imgur.com/ON3USvH.gif
3DS: 1005-8921-6109
#19kylemcauliffe15Posted 4/30/2013 3:12:32 PM
It doesn't matter to me either way about the voice acting or "strange feet." Does that mean something is wrong with me?
---
PSN: Gasshu-kun
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents. - Salvador Dali
#20NnamzPosted 4/30/2013 5:12:20 PM
paleselan posted...
Genius_Sage posted...
How did you record the gameplay?

It's a trailer montage, actually. I don't have the hardware to record 3DS gameplay, so I just mash a bunch of trailers together :)

Good review. But if you actually used your own footage you'd be able to monetize the video and make money off it. Oh well....
---
PS3/Vita ID: Nnamz <-- Please message before add. Otherwise will not accept.
3DS Friend Code: 4527 - 7250 - 9769 <-- Inbox me your FC.