I am genuinely worried for SMT IV

#1legendarylemurPosted 4/28/2013 10:14:06 PM
Several reasons:

The game might get bad user reviews from people who only played the Persona series and went into this thinking they'll play a watered down SMT with dating sims and Scooby Doo rather than appreciate a well thought out story that brings up various issues of morality and religion to ponder about.

People might give it a bad grade just because it has 2D fighting visuals rather than appreciate the hopefully refined and fun combat.

The game might even just suck from an objective point of view

The game turns out to have 0 appeal to the western market and sell poorly

All these things may contribute to low sales, resulting us only ever getting Persona and no SMT games on 3DS or perhaps any other systems in the future. I love the SMT mainline, but all series eventually suffer quality drops. I'm very worried that this game might end up being my last mainline SMT.

Disclaimer: I do like the Persona series, and I had tons of fun playing them, but it's my firm opinion that it is the weakest of the SMT series perhaps aside from Devil Survivor or Devil Summoner.
---
According to Wikipedia, you don't exist!
CLICK HERE FOR FAME AND GLORY
#2VyseLegendairePosted 4/28/2013 10:21:02 PM
The game should be on an HD platform and take advantage of modern technology. I think that is why the game will disappoint.
---
"Why the hell would the director decide to use the sounds of happy children if we were supposed to interpret that humanity had been destroyed?"
#3HandsomeNerd85Posted 4/28/2013 10:23:19 PM
We've got most of the ps2 smt games and all of the post ps2 smt games.

Nothing to worry about.
#4MBJreincarnatedPosted 4/28/2013 10:23:54 PM
If Soul Hackers is getting good reviews then I don't see how this would be much different
---
"Gold, silver, and rubies are nice, but we treasure far above those; knowledge, wisdom, and understanding"
#5RX02BansheePosted 4/28/2013 10:27:11 PM(edited)
legendarylemur posted...
Several reasons:

The game might get bad user reviews from people who only played the Persona series and went into this thinking they'll play a watered down SMT with dating sims and Scooby Doo rather than appreciate a well thought out story that brings up various issues of morality and religion to ponder about.

Your reasons are as hateful towards the Persona fanbase as the Persona fanboys are about SMT. 3 was all of the bolded ffs.

Oh well, fanboys are annoying regardless of the fanbase, take it elsewhere. I know that the Persona fans are generally attacked by the SMT fanbase (you only have to take a look at the SMT vs Fire Emblem board to see that), but please keep it to the SMT boards instead of giving people like me who've only played a Persona game or two reasons to dislike SMT (and trust me a fan behaving badly can impact an initial view of a franchise, I've had more than one game ruined before I played it because of the fanbase for it).

Seriously, the more and more I see of this "Persona fans are clueless about the main franchise and are stupid and deserve to be patronized" attitude I've seen from the SMT fanbase the more I simply want to spit on the franchise and have nothing to do with it.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Current Location: In your nightmares with a knife and a gun and a chilling wail
#6Goten55Posted 4/28/2013 10:25:54 PM
Soul Hackers is my first game in the SMT universe. (Not counting P3 and 4) And I am having a blast with it. I don't think sales will be super low. I'm surprised people still listen to "Professional" reviewers.

I don't see this game blowing up like Fire Emblem Awakening did, but I'll sell decently.
---
Mikoto Misaka Month!
http://i.imgur.com/CVHeEmJ.gif http://i.imgur.com/9tdkQ4M.gif http://i.imgur.com/BYp3Bv8.gif http://i.imgur.com/07dSAn2.gif
#7Hardley_SmithPosted 4/28/2013 10:29:30 PM
why wont people like what i like
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/SephkaBlight
#8legendarylemur(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 10:34:48 PM
Hardley_Smith posted...
why wont people like what i like

If you can read, not the issue. The issue is that low sales will be very bad for the series that I like.
---
#9legendarylemur(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 10:38:43 PM
RX02Banshee posted...
legendarylemur posted...
Several reasons:

Your reasons are as hateful towards the Persona fanbase as the Persona fanboys are about SMT. 3 was all of the bolded ffs.

Oh well, fanboys are annoying regardless of the fanbase, take it elsewhere. I know that the Persona fans are generally attacked by the SMT fanbase (you only have to take a look at the SMT vs Fire Emblem board to see that), but please keep it to the SMT boards instead of giving people like me who've only played a Persona game or two reasons to dislike SMT (and trust me a fan behaving badly can impact an initial view of a franchise, I've had more than one game ruined before I played it because of the fanbase for it).

Seriously, the more and more I see of this "Persona fans are clueless about the main franchise and are stupid and deserve to be patronized" attitude I've seen from the SMT fanbase the more I simply want to spit on the franchise and have nothing to do with it.

I hate to be the guy saying "he started it," but the comments on say trailers of other SMT games or other SMT related boards from the Persona fans are almost a bit disgraceful. It's like say a Mario fan thinks Bowser is a good guy because he plays a lot of sports and races with Mario and friends (you could argue Bowser's Inside Story, but even there Bowser is portrayed as a bad guy unwittingly saving the world for his own benefit). You don't see that happening, but that's EXACTLY what's happening in the SMT community. These sorts of discriminations happen for a reason, and I've seen it happen and argued with a lot of these sorts of people. Usually it's the way that SMT mainline fans played the Persona series but rarely the other way around.
---
#10badboyPosted 4/28/2013 10:41:41 PM
If they buy games blindly, they deserve to be disappointed.