Do you have any gaming "Rules"?

#91xKYSxPosted 5/1/2013 10:28:50 AM
1) most important rule for me is first time playing never look at guides/online for any tips or advice.
---
360 GT & PSN = xKYSx.
#92FishbulbPosted 5/1/2013 10:34:43 AM(edited)
My rules primarily take place outside of the game.

1. Games are meant to be played. When I'm done with a game, pass it on either via lending it, trading it or selling it.

2. Life is too short to play mediocre games. If I'm not feeling it, move on to something else. Don't buy bad games because they are a "deal".

3. Life is too short to be stuck. When I get really blocked up in a game, go ahead and look at an FAQ. When I was young I could spend hours trying to figure out a puzzle, not anymore.

4. Never buy a retail single-player only game at full launch price. They always drop fast and if it's single player only, it'll be just as good at $30 than it was at $60. Multi player games I don't mind paying so much so that I can be part of the community. This doesn't apply to <$20 digital games.

5. Always bet on Nintendo. I always end up buying every Nintendo hardware because they always pull through with enough great games to make me feel it was worthwhile.

6. Never buy third party controllers or memory cards. I suppose the high-end stuff is OK, but I'm too cheap for that.

7. Use this calcuation: When selling to a friend, find out how much gamestop sells the used game for and what they pay for it and the friend price is smack in the middle.
---
Broadcasting your religious faith in a sig is obnoxious. All who agree copy/paste this sig.
#93shadowlinkdsPosted 5/1/2013 10:32:45 AM
Create a Character RPGs- My Female character = Warrior Class, Male Character = Mage class.

For Fighting games I always try to learn the least played character.
#94firedraco2Posted 5/1/2013 10:45:09 AM
Wildkatb posted...
Avoid using GameFaqs until I've beaten the game once. Then, I'll use faqs and cheats on next run to unlock everything.

---
Well when I asked this one cute girl out during lunch, I got laughed at because I was wearing this ridiculous cape called the Ebisu Rainment. -NeoseekerDarkKn
#95SuperWiiCube64Posted 5/1/2013 10:47:04 AM
I don't have too many gaming rules but here they are:

- In RPGs, I never run away from battles unless it's required (an example would be in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door when you have to run away from Doopliss in chapter 4) or if the enemy overpowers me (which has been the case a few times in the Etrian Odyssey series).

- When playing a fighting game, I use the characters I like regardless of where they may be on tier lists.

- When I play a Zelda or a Mario game, I have to 100% the game (finding all heart pieces, beating all the levels, etc.).

- In Smash Bros (any of them) my friends and I play 5 stock matches.

Other than those I really can't think of any other gaming rules I have. I might be forgetting something but oh well.
#96Moorish_IdolPosted 5/1/2013 10:47:50 AM
1. Always do the first playthrough on normal difficulty.
2. If it's an RPG, don't consult a guide (for sidequests, collectibles, strategy, etc.) until at least one playthrough has been completed.
3. Don't use ubers in Pokemon. This goes for me or my in-person opponent. It just makes the battles more fun.
4. Don't buy/play any DLC until the game has been completed once (ideally at 100%). Exception for fighting games or games with no clear endgame.
#97brStalkerPosted 5/1/2013 10:56:44 AM
My main rule is "beat 100% if I can"
---
"Which is more evil: Kidnapping a child to use as a tool for world domination, or using your blood child as a tool for world domination?"-Tyranidomega
#98DarthSchubertPosted 5/1/2013 11:00:31 AM
1) Always play hard mode
2) Never save scumm
3) When playing multiplayer, if I win 3X in a row I switch character/team/etc. Always a downgrade.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#99JobClassPosted 5/1/2013 11:03:28 AM
JamesLiv1, you have some good points there.

Anyway for me.

-Always talk to every single NPC. I get really OCD about this. it's a ridiculous rule really, especially since not every NPC is gonna give me an item or a quest. But I'll feel like I havn't fully played the game if I don't do this.

-It's not a "rule" but I usually forget about the "Flee" or "Escape option" and usually end up dying if stuff goes wrong.
---
"I bestow upon you the gift of life! Rejuvenate!"
#100DarkIVloonPosted 5/1/2013 11:06:58 AM
-No Save States
-Try to beat a game without continuing or limiting myself
-Never Cheat
---
Gotta get em' all, shmupmon!