Should I try Etrian Odyssey 4?

#1talesfan215Posted 5/1/2013 9:18:48 PM
I've been wanting to, but the thought of needing to have my Stylus out so much to mark parts of the map is kinda off-putting. I just want to pick up the game and play normally. Is it neccessary to mark points in the map to be able to play the game?
#2mahgah91Posted 5/1/2013 9:21:06 PM
You pretty much have to create a map to play the game efficiently. I hate using the stylus for anything, but I was surprisingly not bothered by it in EO.
#3talesfan215(Topic Creator)Posted 5/1/2013 9:22:45 PM
Looks like I'll have to pass. I'm almost done with Soul Hackers, still quite awhile till SMT4 is out.
#4adonfrazPosted 5/1/2013 9:23:58 PM
You could try the demo
---
"I wanted another ad where LeBron says "Like a good neighbor State Farm is there, with a clutch gene!" - Skip Bayless
Xbox GT: Loyal Catalyst
#5confettistormPosted 5/2/2013 5:50:34 AM(edited)
I personally think EO is a much more polished first person dungeon crawler than Soul Hackers.

It has a MUCH better presentation, there's a lot more decisions when it comes to party, unit builds. I personally don't like "pokemon" monster collection so that's not something I look forward to in Soul Hackers.

Definitely give it a try, but as most Atlus games, you either love them to death or you just don't.

And... I love the map drawing feature.
#6Baha05Posted 5/2/2013 6:36:28 AM
Honestly TC the map making isn't that bad. There is a demo where you could out hours into it getting used to the game and if you do like it you can transfer the data to the retail.

Keep in mind this game is pretty damn hard too. It takes thinking.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#7Black_AssassinPosted 5/2/2013 7:56:13 AM
Play Strange Journey. It has automapping only and is done on the same engine as the Etrian Odyssey games, IIRC.
---
lowercase
#8confettistormPosted 5/2/2013 8:01:32 AM
Baha05 posted...
Honestly TC the map making isn't that bad. There is a demo where you could out hours into it getting used to the game and if you do like it you can transfer the data to the retail.

Keep in mind this game is pretty damn hard too. It takes thinking.

The map map-making is one of the defining features of this series.
You either love it or you find it tedious. I love it.
#9Willie_MakeitPosted 5/2/2013 8:05:28 AM
adonfraz posted...
You could try the demo

This, seriously. The game has an excellent demo, but I found out it just wasn't my thing and I usually like Atlus games. It's not for everyone.
---
Sig.
#101upsuperPosted 5/2/2013 8:12:53 AM
It's a fantastic game, and the map-making is really fun. Just try the demo.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper