So do the Etrian odyssey games have a plot?

#1fhqwghadPosted 5/1/2013 11:43:47 PM
Or are just dungeon crawling forever? I've never played any of them and I'm just wondering if i should play the first three first.
---
Askin the tough questions
#2themegaman7Posted 5/1/2013 11:48:16 PM
It's something like a plot, except not really. Just a excuse to go adventuring.
---
PSN - Expa0
- The official Doppelganger of SMT IV boards -
#3Dual-Shock3Posted 5/1/2013 11:53:15 PM
themegaman7 posted...
It's something like a plot, except not really. Just a excuse to go adventuring.

^ Don't really know why he's saying not really. Each EO does has its own story it's just that the variety of customizations outweights the story when you're playing.

But it does has its own story so dont worry of mindless dungeon crawling since you'll have to achieve some objectives while crawling .
#4Dual-Shock3Posted 5/1/2013 11:54:48 PM
btw each of the EO series are standalones so feel free to start with any but mind you, if u start with EO4 , the newer mechanics and polished graphics might spoil you when u go back to EO1 ~ EO3
#5AppleframerPosted 5/2/2013 2:31:39 AM
Story is absolutely minimal in each game, and there is little to no continuity between games. If you want to play Etrian Odyssey 4, then that is a perfectly fine place to start.
#6AqouzePosted 5/2/2013 3:24:07 AM
At first it's like no plot... but after few dungeon u will start to see some story-line in it.
it's sth like...

"hello new face! help me do this and that"
"Oh... you are that guild...Please help me investigate ***"
"there's more to do and it shouldn't be out in open.... so please see me later!"

it's like your guild got drag here and there by all NPC problem and you gonna help them so the story lie within those NPC and the world, not your party.
#7confettistormPosted 5/2/2013 4:48:08 AM
Story is very barebone.

You come up with your own character personalities.
That's why you can name your adventurers and pick their portraits to your liking.

The spin off title Millennium Maiden will have the OPTION of having a much more fleshed out story.

Regardless, EO4 is gameplay bliss.
#8fhqwghad(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 10:28:52 AM
well do the games have an end?
---
Askin the tough questions
#9confettistormPosted 5/2/2013 10:40:29 AM
fhqwghad posted...
well do the games have an end?

Yes, the story is there. You have a goal to work towards and most of the characterization comes from the small events that permeate the dungeons.
Do I eat food from a table in the middle of the room? Yes/No.

EO4's story is much more developped than in previous iterations, but it's still barebone compared to modern games. The idea is that you, as the player, fill in the hints and small details and make your own story.
You get a lot more attached to the character than you might expect.
#10MMaestroPosted 5/2/2013 11:25:49 AM
There IS an overarching plot for the series, but its so bare bones you literally can't find it if you only played through one game. (EO2 is a sequel to EO1 but the game doesn't even reference it unless you carry over your save data, THATS how thin it is)