id buy more games if there were more demos

#1elbarto1Posted 5/2/2013 7:05:45 PM
Why does Nintendo not seem to care about demos? Xbla has a demo for everything. Psn is finally getting around to releasing more demos yet Wii and 3ds has a few and nothing new.

I'm always more inclined to buy a digital only game if I can get a taste.
---
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!
:XBL: THE B0DY :PSN: bionichrist :NNID: The_B0DY
#2pbandjamesPosted 5/2/2013 7:09:20 PM
It depends on the company; I don't believe it's up to Nintendo to have a company release a demo.

Many companies decide that the negatives outweigh the positives of releasing demos, so they don't. Microsoft probably has a policy that all games on the XBLA have to have a demo. I'm sure that many of those companies wish they didn't have to release one, as it's a great way to show that they're just trying to make a quick buck with a lazy game.
---
Game news is the best news.
#3elbarto1(Topic Creator)Posted 5/2/2013 7:15:22 PM
I just like trying games I'd never give a chance if I'd have to pay upfront.
I never would have bought fire emblem w/o having tried the demo. So its a game seller IMO. If your game is crap a demo won't make or break it.
---
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!
:XBL: THE B0DY :PSN: bionichrist :NNID: The_B0DY
#4TVthePunisherPosted 5/2/2013 7:31:33 PM
Some demos can make or break a game. Resident Evil 6's demo left many people disappointed with the game and POSSIBLY effected the sales, which according to CAPCOM was a "commercial failure". There were two demos though...one released with Dragon's Dogma, which left some folks excited and others feeling the game still needed work. Then the public demo, which was slightly altered but didn't really fix any of the issues the first one had.

It didn't come until nearly 3 months after release that a patch was released to fix many of the issues that bothered people. Of course now the game has faded into obscurity, just like Operation Raccoon City before it. I could just be biased though...I enjoyed it yes, but many longtime fans opposite of me did not.

Longstory short: if you make a demo, it has to leave you wanting more. If you screw up and put either the worst section of your game in the demo or just make it all together bad...you probably just turned away quite a few sales. Developers/Publishers/whoever that decide not to have demos try to smack you with a lot of videos and press coverage of the game, to make you want to buy it to see what it all has to offer.

...and then there are games that go up with little to no talk about it and it's just something you randomly come across while browsing a marketplace. "Oh what's this? Hm...this might be interesting...". That kind of crap.
---
The Internet Warrior - a sweaty, fat nerd with an aggressive agenda of angrily *****ing about anything and everything on message boards.
#5SSJ2__GohanPosted 5/2/2013 7:39:14 PM
For me, it's: I'd possibly buy more games if demos were unlimited.

As it is now, I feel it's a waste to try out a demo to see if I have any interest in the game, as... well... the fact that I need to see if I have interest means I hardly have any interest (as otherwise I wouldn't need to see it). And as such, it feels like such a waste to permanently use up a possibility to play the demo, as you get most out of a use when you're using up that use with full motivation.

So, I never try out demos, never find out if I like the games, and so never buy the games.
#6confettistormPosted 5/2/2013 7:41:19 PM
In before market research shows demos on average reduce game sales.
#7TaiphlosionPosted 5/2/2013 7:43:40 PM(edited)
i'd like to try a soul hackers demo, but there's none =/

confettistorm posted...
In before market research shows demos on average reduce game sales.

Is this true?
---
"I've got nothing to give, got no reason to live. But I will fight to survive, I've got nothing to hide, wish I wasn't so shy"
WW is the worst zelda
#8crazyray47Posted 5/2/2013 7:53:38 PM
I would say be happy there are demos.
#9deimos91Posted 5/3/2013 7:49:25 AM
elbarto1 posted...
Why does Nintendo not seem to care about demos? Xbla has a demo for everything. Psn is finally getting around to releasing more demos yet Wii and 3ds has a few and nothing new.

I'm always more inclined to buy a digital only game if I can get a taste.

Nintendo rarely releases bad games sometimes the game is not demo suitable and recent reports saying even demos of good games can cut sales of up to half can be a factor
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#10deimos91Posted 5/3/2013 7:53:00 AM
SSJ2__Gohan posted...
For me, it's: I'd possibly buy more games if demos were unlimited.

As it is now, I feel it's a waste to try out a demo to see if I have any interest in the game, as... well... the fact that I need to see if I have interest means I hardly have any interest (as otherwise I wouldn't need to see it). And as such, it feels like such a waste to permanently use up a possibility to play the demo, as you get most out of a use when you're using up that use with full motivation.

So, I never try out demos, never find out if I like the games, and so never buy the games.

who needs to beat a demo more than thirty times if you plan to buy a game
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951