I'm in the mood for a Pokemon game, which should I get?

#1Eternal_Dream21Posted 5/4/2013 7:48:46 AM
I haven't played a Pokemon game in years and I suddenly really feel like playing one. I want a main one, not a Mystery Dungeon one or something like that. Last one I played was Diamond way back when it first came out, so I guess my choices would be HG/SS, B/W, B2/W2. I was leaning more towards HG/SS, since I really liked the original ones as a kid, but I'd also like to be able to transfer my pokemons to X/Y once those come out. Since HG/SS are a gen older, I might not be able too.

So which game would you guys recommend? Would it be important to start with B/W or can I just skip to B2/W2? Oh, and I would also like to play online against other people, so I guess the more recent ones are more active than the older ones?
#2Corey105Posted 5/4/2013 7:50:44 AM
Eternal_Dream21 posted...
I haven't played a Pokemon game in years and I suddenly really feel like playing one. I want a main one, not a Mystery Dungeon one or something like that. Last one I played was Diamond way back when it first came out, so I guess my choices would be HG/SS, B/W, B2/W2. I was leaning more towards HG/SS, since I really liked the original ones as a kid, but I'd also like to be able to transfer my pokemons to X/Y once those come out. Since HG/SS are a gen older, I might not be able too.

So which game would you guys recommend? Would it be important to start with B/W or can I just skip to B2/W2? Oh, and I would also like to play online against other people, so I guess the more recent ones are more active than the older ones?

You CAN skip to Black/White 2, but honestly, I'd recommend playing all three. Heartgold is my favorite one personally. Black/White 2 are both good on their own.

If you can only get one, I'd just go straight to Black 2, as there is more to do. If you can get two, I'd get Black/White 2 and HeartGold/Soul Silver.
#3TehTrumpCardPosted 5/4/2013 7:51:15 AM
BW so at least you'll be up to date with your Pokemon and start a fresh adventure with only new Pokemon until Postgame

BW2 if you want tons of post game content and plenty of Move Tutors.
---
I love Nowi!!! http://tinyurl.com/trump-nowi http://tinyurl.com/durrhubba
3DSXL FC: 4640-0379-8455 PSN (PS3+Vita): TehTrumpCard
#4EmeraldroxPosted 5/4/2013 7:51:55 AM
HG/SS. I don't really appreciate B/W/2. I find it harder to replay them, and find myself really disliking the newer features. I'm a huge Pokemon fan, have been since Gen 2, but the newer games don't have the same charm as older ones do.
If you insist on it, pick up B2/W2, but you probably won't enjoy them as much as you would HG/SS
---
White 2 - 1335-5542-8288 White - 0347-5170-7984
3DS: 4854-6563-5216
#5Numbuh100Posted 5/4/2013 7:52:19 AM
Get HS/SS first then start on B/W later.
---
Waiting for: Pokemon X and Y, Project X Zone
BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD!
#6Swiftblade09Posted 5/4/2013 7:52:36 AM
probably b/w
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raiz5MAb98Q
Official Salamence of the Pokemon X and Y boards
#7Dcl2049Posted 5/4/2013 8:08:47 AM
Absolutely hgss. I played white, heard good things about bw2, but the first seemed nowhere near the quality of hgss. Dont get me wrong, it was a good game. But hgss has a better feel and quality to it, in my opinion. Either will work but that's my recommendation.

What I didnt like about bw was the several removed features and I didnt feel like the character design was that imaginative. I am biased in that I played the original gold and there is a nostalgia factor for sure, but there is a lot of new content that makes hgss feel like a complete game.
---
I wear my sunglasses at night
3DS: Dan 0130-1908-9217
#8retrogamer28Posted 5/4/2013 8:09:24 AM
Corey105 posted...

If you can only get one, I'd just go straight to Black 2, as there is more to do. If you can get two, I'd get Black/White 2 and HeartGold/Soul Silver.

I would say get HGSS first, but other than that this is pretty good. I also really liked the Sinnoh games, but I seem to be in the minority for that (and they were my first PKMN games after FRLG).
#9PHEEliNUXPosted 5/4/2013 8:12:59 AM
HG/SS

IMO B/W and B/W2 are pretty horrible
---
PSN:PHEEliNUX
"Lesser Demon is less than a Demon, But more than an Imp"
#10RX02BansheePosted 5/4/2013 8:17:31 AM
Just to point out but the post-game content in Pokemon Black/White/2 sucks. And this is coming from a fanboy of the series, but it pales in comparison to Platinum and HG/SS.

That said the story mode of the first two Black/White games is the best in the series by far, and the region is full of brand new Pokemon which, for once, are almost all actually useful.

If you want to be sure you can transfer your Pokemon grab the Black/White games, I highly doubt the gen 4 ones will be compatible with whatever transfer method (if any) they give us. But if you have access to two DS systems feel free to grab either Platinum or one of the two Gen 2 remakes as well, as those focus on older Pokemon a lot of which aren't available in Black/White/2.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Current Location: In your nightmares with a knife and a gun and a chilling wail