Making NES VC games bigger?

#1ElectricNovaPosted 5/4/2013 9:18:53 AM
Well I just downloaded Mega man 1-4, was looking forward to getting into them, and I pressed play and...

Well the screen size is just really small and it's hard to see what's going on, and that's from someone who normally is fine with smaller resoloution.

So... Is there some trick to it, like a button combination to hold, or am I screwed and just wasted my money?
---
Official Rayquaza of the Pokemon X and Y boards
I like a lot of things. Like Pokemon. And Sonic. And Kirby. And Smash bros. And Coca cola.
#2ObtuseAnginaPosted 5/4/2013 9:23:34 AM
It's not small, they take up more screen area than a DS game played on the 3DS
---
./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_http://i.imgur.com/qtiKuN7.png But if you're gonna cheat,
( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,...you might as well be a fairy while you're at it.
#3ElectricNova(Topic Creator)Posted 5/4/2013 9:25:30 AM
I don't know, it just seems kind of.... zoomed out. I've had no problem playing DS games on it in the past (Reg 3DS, not XL)
---
Official Rayquaza of the Pokemon X and Y boards
I like a lot of things. Like Pokemon. And Sonic. And Kirby. And Smash bros. And Coca cola.
#4ObtuseAnginaPosted 5/4/2013 9:31:17 AM
DS games are designed with a smaller screen in mind. I find the NES games on the 3DS to be abnormally clear though.
---
#5NeoToastDXPosted 5/4/2013 9:32:25 AM
And abnormally dark.
---
Tetris is the sport of Danish Kings.
Brawl FC: 4940-5099-9482
#6n00bsaib0tPosted 5/4/2013 9:45:39 AM
It's an NES game designed to be played on a TV, so it's not as zoomed in as the Game Boy Mega Man titles. The Game Boy games are short but worth checking out for the record. The only console game to zoom in on TV like the Game Boy games was MM7 and it got a lot of backlash for it.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#7Moorish_IdolPosted 5/4/2013 9:50:48 AM
Do you have an XL? If not you may want to consider getting one. The bigger screens are perty.
#8ObtuseAnginaPosted 5/4/2013 9:55:51 AM(edited)
n00bsaib0t posted...
It's an NES game designed to be played on a TV, so it's not as zoomed in as the Game Boy Mega Man titles. The Game Boy games are short but worth checking out for the record. The only console game to zoom in on TV like the Game Boy games was MM7 and it got a lot of backlash for it.

Zooming in on any mega man game is bad, Mega Man 7 wasn't zoomed in, it was just that the sprites were too big. An example of a mega man game that is zoomed in is the gba port of mega man and bass and another is the game gear mega man
---
#9strongo9Posted 5/4/2013 10:48:50 AM
The NES Mega Man games were 240p and therefor are running in their native resolution on the 3DS. They're playing just like they're supposed to.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#10n00bsaib0tPosted 5/4/2013 12:55:25 PM
ObtuseAngina posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

Zooming in on any mega man game is bad, Mega Man 7 wasn't zoomed in, it was just that the sprites were too big. An example of a mega man game that is zoomed in is the gba port of mega man and bass and another is the game gear mega man

The larger sprites on Mega Man 7 made the appearance zoomed in, just like the Game Boy games. Mega Man and Bass wasn't zoomed in, it was cropped around the edges. Game Gear Mega Man is the only game in the classic series where the screen scrolls up and down on small ledges.

I'm not the only one that views larger sprites as zoomed in when the entire screen ratios are changed to compensate considering my brother referred to the iOS Mega Man X port as having the "Mega Man 7 effect" when in full screen mode when I was discussing this with him a couple days ago, I'm not sure how you can't consider the view Zoomed in while playing Mega Man 7 when the sprites are so big because the characters are supposed to appear closer.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile