To people actually bothered by the censorship in FE

#11Furikuri_flclPosted 5/4/2013 6:53:43 PM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
Furikuri_flcl posted...
People don't realize that one case of mildly annoying censorship isn't even worth getting bent out of shape over. What would people rather have? One small censored picture, or another One Piece situation where they start changing the story, remove important scenes, discard ENTIRE story arcs, change the dialogue and music where it has nothing to do with the tone or feel of the original scene, alter the outcomes of various characters to "prevent" death, change character personalities, and completely change the overall intentions and thoughts of the villans?

Neither should ever be acceptable to anyone ever. Censorship is the first step in taking away basic individual human rights, doesn't matter how small it is.

It doesn't matter whether you like censorship or not. The point is, one small edit to a picture that has no relevance to the story should not effect your enjoyment of the game. If it's censoring something IMPORTANT, then yes it's a problem, otherwise it's not a big deal.

My point is that it doesn't matter how "important" or "unimportant" it could be perceived. Bad things usually start small it can easily snowball if not stopped.

Censorship is an attack on free speech and an overall insult to intelligence. It starts with a butt today and ends with the entirety of the internet being controlled and monitored tomorrow. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.
---
Now Playing: Picdun, Xenoblade Chronicles, Luminous Arc 2, Virtue's Last Reward.
#12TheMisterManGuyPosted 5/4/2013 6:53:50 PM
parKb5 posted...
Yes, thank you. People don't realize that one case of mildly annoying censorship isn't even worth getting bent out of shape over. What would people rather have? One small censored picture, or another One Piece situation where they start changing the story, remove important scenes, discard ENTIRE story arcs, change the dialogue and music where it has nothing to do with the tone or feel of the original scene, alter the outcomes of various characters to "prevent" death, change character personalities, and completely change the overall intentions and thoughts of the villans? If you ask me, I'd take the former.

What would we rather have? How about neither? I wasn't aware that censorship is OK as long as you approve of it. You know what, you are complaining about One Piece, but someone approved that censorship and I am sure they said "it is just a mildly annoying censorship of a children's cartoon."

I never said I support censorship, nor am I necessarily against it either. It all depends on what your censoring. If it's something not really important to the plot or doesn't further the character, then it shouldn't be a massive problem. If it interferes with the plot and changes the entire outcome of a scene or character, then it's a huge deal. The amount of censorship in Awakening is microscopic, compared to the pure butchering 4kids did to One Piece.
---
In a gaming world filled with chaos & fanboyism, I try to be the voice that guides people to the truth.
#13TheMisterManGuyPosted 5/4/2013 7:13:30 PM
Furikuri_flcl posted...
Furikuri_flcl posted...
People don't realize that one case of mildly annoying censorship isn't even worth getting bent out of shape over. What would people rather have? One small censored picture, or another One Piece situation where they start changing the story, remove important scenes, discard ENTIRE story arcs, change the dialogue and music where it has nothing to do with the tone or feel of the original scene, alter the outcomes of various characters to "prevent" death, change character personalities, and completely change the overall intentions and thoughts of the villans?

Neither should ever be acceptable to anyone ever. Censorship is the first step in taking away basic individual human rights, doesn't matter how small it is.

It doesn't matter whether you like censorship or not. The point is, one small edit to a picture that has no relevance to the story should not effect your enjoyment of the game. If it's censoring something IMPORTANT, then yes it's a problem, otherwise it's not a big deal.

My point is that it doesn't matter how "important" or "unimportant" it could be perceived. Bad things usually start small it can easily snowball if not stopped.

Censorship is an attack on free speech and an overall insult to intelligence. It starts with a butt today and ends with the entirety of the internet being controlled and monitored tomorrow. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

You do realize censorship has been arround for centuries? It's both tolerable, or terrible depending on how it's used, or what they're censoring. If it's used by the government, then yeah, it could be pretty bad. Sites that weren't suggestive at all like IGN could be taken down due to "threats against the government". Good music being banned because it's "uncivilized". If it's used by a video game publisher who needed to cover up a itty bitty image that you can just, look online for if you really want to in a DLC pack where fanservice wasn't even the main purpose for anyway. Then no, it's nothing to get worked up about. Plus, whether it be Network TV or cable, unless you are HBO, Starz, or SHOtime, TV shows are going to get censored in some way shape or form all the time. Family Guy's FOX airings get get censored, and NOBODY complains about that. Even the Cartoon Network airings of Funimation's One Piece were censored a little, and nobody complained nearly as much as they did with the 4kids version. Sometimes, censorship is a necessary evil. But I do get where your comming from, like I said, if it's used by the wrong hands, then it becomes unbearable.
---
In a gaming world filled with chaos & fanboyism, I try to be the voice that guides people to the truth.
#14zinformantPosted 5/4/2013 7:15:03 PM
meathoven2 posted...
Censorship shouldn't even exist in this day and age seeing as there is a comprehensive age rating system for games, movies etc. If something is inappropriate then up the rating, simple.

There is no monetary benefit to upping the rating. Lower is always better. Anyone bothered by censorship plays the game for the wrong reason or is, simply, too uptight.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
For more info: http://www.worldofys.com/yso/
#15so64Posted 5/4/2013 7:16:05 PM
Can we stop with the slippery slope arguments? I really cannot stand slippery slope arguments, they tend to be base on fear and honestly not even really thought out. Especially since this is a small change along the lines of OoT Temple change and really should not be gaining the discussion its getting. I mean just go on Kotaku and see the articles that this change has produced. I mean look, I know some are worried that this could snowball, but getting this hung up on this change in order to make it into a crusade against censorship is too much and honestly I think trivialize actual censorship issues.
---
I am insane. Somethings I say may not make sense. Please take heed. www.brokencontrollers.com We Have come over the way that with tears... 3DS FC:5327-0905-8783
#16PeteZaHutxPosted 5/4/2013 7:22:23 PM
Yes, thank you. People don't realize that one case of mildly annoying censorship isn't even worth getting bent out of shape over. What would people rather have? One small censored picture, or another One Piece situation where they start changing the story, remove important scenes, discard ENTIRE story arcs, change the dialogue and music where it has nothing to do with the tone or feel of the original scene, alter the outcomes of various characters to "prevent" death, change character personalities, and completely change the overall intentions and thoughts of the villans? If you ask me, I'd take the former.

You do realize people are angry because censorship used had no damn relevance.Its a T rated games with "mild suggestive themes" and they censored a bikini.No one is mad beacause they cant see ass, they are am because the censorship was baseless.

Whether it affected the plot or not is not the discussion , the discussion is whether this censorship was justified or not which it damn sure didn't.
#17LinkMaster207Posted 5/4/2013 7:22:31 PM
This is a case of a COMPANY releasing a product of their choice. This is NOT GOVERNMENT censorship.

Don't like how they handled some DLC? Don't buy it!
---
Michael: "Gob, you need to get rid of the Seaward."
Lucille: "I'll leave when I'm good and ready!"
#18Furikuri_flclPosted 5/4/2013 7:30:54 PM
Furikuri_flcl posted...
Furikuri_flcl posted...

You do realize censorship has been arround for centuries? It's both tolerable, or terrible depending on how it's used, or what they're censoring. If it's used by the government, then yeah, it could be pretty bad. Sites that weren't suggestive at all like IGN could be taken down due to "threats against the government". Good music being banned because it's "uncivilized". If it's used by a video game publisher who needed to cover up a itty bitty image that you can just, look online for if you really want to in a DLC pack where fanservice wasn't even the main purpose for anyway. Then no, it's nothing to get worked up about. Plus, whether it be Network TV or cable, unless you are HBO, Starz, or SHOtime, TV shows are going to get censored in some way shape or form all the time. Family Guy's FOX airings get get censored, and NOBODY complains about that. Even the Cartoon Network airings of Funimation's One Piece were censored a little, and nobody complained nearly as much as they did with the 4kids version. Sometimes, censorship is a necessary evil. But I do get where your comming from, like I said, if it's used by the wrong hands, then it becomes unbearable.

People not complaining about it in other content doesn't make it anymore "right" or "tolerable". It just highlights greater issues affecting modern society such as a lack of awareness, education and general social apathy. It really doesn't matter which hand does the censoring, the hand that censors is one that wants to impose its will on others. The hand that wants to impose its will on others is the hand that believes some things should be kept hidden. The hand believes some things should be kept hidden is the hand that is corrupt.

Censorship, in whatever form it appears, is the art of the corrupted sneaking behind other people's back in order to impose their own will and control exposition to ideas, whatever they may be. This incident is just a sad continuation of outdated judeo-christian values towards sexuality still imposing themselves on an increasingly diverse society.
---
Now Playing: Picdun, Xenoblade Chronicles, Luminous Arc 2, Virtue's Last Reward.
#19TheMisterManGuyPosted 5/4/2013 7:32:19 PM
PeteZaHutx posted...

You do realize people are angry because censorship used had no damn relevance.Its a T rated games with "mild suggestive themes" and they censored a bikini.No one is mad beacause they cant see ass, they are am because the censorship was baseless.

Whether it affected the plot or not is not the discussion , the discussion is whether this censorship was justified or not which it damn sure didn't.

You keep missing the point, I'm not talking about the people who want to see Tharja's ass, I'm talking about everyone who is blowing this WAAAAY out of proportion. Your right, it didn't needed to be censored. But should it affect your enjoyment of the game? Is the game all of a sudden terrible because of one silly edit? No. It's the same map with the same characters and the same dialogue. It's nothing that should cause an uproar.
---
#20Furikuri_flclPosted 5/4/2013 7:50:54 PM(edited)
PeteZaHutx posted...

You keep missing the point, I'm not talking about the people who want to see Tharja's ass, I'm talking about everyone who is blowing this WAAAAY out of proportion. Your right, it didn't needed to be censored. But should it affect your enjoyment of the game? Is the game all of a sudden terrible because of one silly edit? No. It's the same map with the same characters and the same dialogue. It's nothing that should cause an uproar.

But that's what you're missing. It's not blown out of proportion. This a is tame reaction compared to what "should" happen anytime anything is even remotely censored. If you believe this should be "OK" because most people wouldn't be bothered by it, then congratulations, you are officially under the controlling influence of those who want power over your thoughts.
---