Does the 3ds suffer from any common physical defects or problems?

#1wild09Posted 5/5/2013 1:18:47 AM
For instance on the DS lite, the shoulder buttons often fail and it's not uncommon for hinges to break. Thanks in advance.
---
Awesome games I've never finished: Vampire:
The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Black Sigil, Nier (all endings besides A)
#2wkadPosted 5/5/2013 1:29:09 AM(edited)
-Paint peeling off of D-Pad (uncommon, I think)
-Bottom screen's borders and circle pad leaves marks on the upper part of the 3DS. The borders could leave a scratch (common)

Those are the only ones I know but I feel like I'm forgetting some.

EDIT: I heard some 3DS can't wake from sleep mode. (uncommon)

I know all I have typed applies to the original 3DS but I'm not sure if it is the same for 3DSXL.
---
3DS FC 0516-7559-3835 PM me if add :D
I'm having a video gaming purchases break!
#3its_mattPosted 5/5/2013 1:23:25 AM
The early models had this odd issue where the two little rubbers on either side of the top screen don't stick out far enough to stop it touching the raised surround of the lower screen when the 3ds is closed.
#4wild09(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 1:29:38 AM(edited)
That's it? No faulty buttons? Nothing cracking? Wow that's pretty good. After paying for repairs twice on my DS lite and having the hinge just break on me a few days ago I was really getting sick of my DS lite problems. If the system's as solid as you guys say then I'm sold, if for nothing more than a replacement for my DS lite. Thanks a lot.
---
#5its_mattPosted 5/5/2013 1:30:46 AM
Did not know DS lite had so many problems. I still have my launch model DS which still works fine.
#6wkadPosted 5/5/2013 1:35:02 AM(edited)
wild09 posted...
That's it? No faulty buttons? Nothing cracking? Wow that's pretty good. I actually just had after paying for repairs twice on my DS lite and having the hinge just break I'm was really getting sick of my DS lite problems. If the system's as solid as you guys say then I'm sold, if for nothing more than a replacement for my DS lite. Thanks a lot.

You could get unlucky like some of the users in this board and get a 3DS that has poor quality.

Hinges are a little loose, by the way, but that goes to all 3DS units and doesn't break, I think.

Shoulder buttons are pretty solid for me. Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising and other games haven't ruined my system yet.

If I were you, I'd wait for more posts.
---
3DS FC 0516-7559-3835 PM me if add :D
I'm having a video gaming purchases break!
#7wild09(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 1:37:04 AM(edited)
its_matt posted...
Did not know DS lite had so many problems. I still have my launch model DS which still works fine.

Well I've had shoulder buttons die on me twice, my right hinge has broken twice and my microphone has failed once. It took my DS lite about 2 years to break the hinges each. The buttons and microphone were more of a wild card, though shoulder button failure on the DS lite is the most common physical problem I see on the forums.
---
#8SamA7XPosted 5/5/2013 4:46:57 AM(edited)
The DS hinges broke easily because they were very stiff, probably through an attempt to make it more sturdy but all it did was make them crack, but Nintendo learned from that mistake and made the hinges more flexible on the 3DS.

The only other complaint I know about is about the original 3DS, when its closed the bottom half rubs against the top causing deep scratches on the screens over time, this was a very common issue.
#9Mattatron42Posted 5/5/2013 4:54:11 AM
I've had problems with my shoulder buttons. flame red 3ds
---
3ds fc: 4940-5666-3487
NNID: Mattatron
#10EmeraldroxPosted 5/5/2013 5:03:03 AM
wild09 posted...
That's it? No faulty buttons? Nothing cracking? Wow that's pretty good. After paying for repairs twice on my DS lite and having the hinge just break on me a few days ago I was really getting sick of my DS lite problems. If the system's as solid as you guys say then I'm sold, if for nothing more than a replacement for my DS lite. Thanks a lot.

I've had one or two minor issues with my regular 3DS; the screen scratching, and I've had my A/Y button have difficulty working. They gained some resistance to them after my little cousin knocked my 3DS off the couch, and the Y button now makes a loud clicking noise that's louder than any other button on the console.
---
White 2 - 1335-5542-8288 White - 0347-5170-7984
3DS: 4854-6563-5216