The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

There is a very VALID reason why Mario Kart has the blue Shell

#1RixgearPosted 5/5/2013 2:38:32 PM
I recently picked up Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing, the first one, and wow is it amazing, and I liked it so much I'm going to get the second one. However, there is one thing that i noticed playing multiplayer in this game, and that is that there is no "blue shell' like item. I thought this was a fantastic thing at first but I was wrong.

When a kart racer that has items and such for the gameplay lacks an item that hits the leader racer it starts to become unbalanced. Due to the dynamic of the game in items being semi-random and how a player is more often going to use an item on the player ahead of them, places within the race switch quickly.

But! If you have a player in the lead, and 2nd and 3rd place keep hitting each other with items, eventually 1st place starts to get a tremendous lead so far ahead he can never be overtaken. This made me realize why the blue shell exists. Its not there to punish good players, its there to balance out the race because of how the items work. without it, you have a high chance of someone being at first place with a ridiculous lead, not because of their skill, but because they are not being hit by any items, as 3rd is trying to get to 2nd, and 2nd keeps falling to 3rd back and forth slowing them down. This happened very often in my races with SaSASR.

tl;dr

Without a blue shell, the 1st place racer can gain a lead so far ahead due to the players behind constantly hurting each other and slowing each other down.
---
Proud owner of all consoles. Nintendo ID- Ragebit, Steam- Rixgear
PSN- OneLibra, Gamertag- Ragebit, 3DSFC- 2793-0608-4349
#2toad133Posted 5/5/2013 2:42:33 PM
The Swarm weapon negates this in Transformed; I've seen countless races where the person in first changed due to this. But I don't mind it because using/dodging it takes actual skill.
---
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.
#3PechaBerryPosted 5/5/2013 2:45:16 PM
The blue shell casualized the game even before the game term casual existed.
#4Delirious_BeardPosted 5/5/2013 2:48:39 PM
Players should not be punished for performing well. That is the bottom line. And 2nd place racers get items to hit 1st placers too.
---
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/7330305182_5b3fefe54c_o.gif http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcjibxsGMv1renuivo1_400.gif
http://i.imgur.com/WLAHEkx.gif
#5Retroxgamer0Posted 5/5/2013 2:49:54 PM(edited)
if youre trying to make an arguement that mariokart is more balanced than sega all stars racing, youd be quite wrong.
#6DangerlessPosted 5/5/2013 2:51:27 PM
I really don't care for the blue shell.

I just ask I don't have to see it four times in a single race.
---
Although the sky is blue, it's always black.
#7Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 2:52:13 PM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
if youre trying to make an arguement that mariokart is more balanced than sega all stars racing, youd be quite wrong.

No that's not what I am saying. I am saying there is a good reason for the blue shell. or at least some kind of item that aims at the lead racer. I prefer Sega all stars actually
---
#8TwilightxTrixiePosted 5/5/2013 2:52:20 PM
The blueshell should only appear 1-2 times per race though
#9Mariofan15Posted 5/5/2013 2:53:11 PM
The Blue Shell would be fine if it wasnt so freaking easy to get. You see the Blue shell more times then you really need to. They need to make it more like past games where it's supposed to be rare to get,not common.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC:4685-8577-8710
#10Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 2:54:02 PM
Delirious_Beard posted...
Players should not be punished for performing well. That is the bottom line. And 2nd place racers get items to hit 1st placers too.

I think this is a necessary mechanic though due to how the kart racer is designed, if not you get exactly what I just described.
---