There is a very VALID reason why Mario Kart has the blue Shell

#21Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 3:12:06 PM
Delirious_Beard posted...
Everyone 2-8 has the distinct advantage of having better item opportunity. Opportunity which the person in 1st place does not get. Potential game-changing items. A (MKW/DS) blue shell for the 7th place racer does absolutely nothing to help him. It just serves to screw the 1st place racer over while giving no position to the user. That is just chaos for the sake of chaos, like tripping in Brawl.

I just explained why there is a reason for it. I do agree that its occurrence in races is far too common, but the point I was making is that it prevents the 1st place racer from getting too far of a an unfair lead and that is due to the radomness of the items, and the chaos of players behind 1st place slowing each other down. Again, this is something that happened often in SaSASR during the multiplayer. Maybe there should be a diffeent item in place of it to prevent this like the swarm in Sega all stars transformed.
---
Proud owner of all consoles. Nintendo ID- Ragebit, Steam- Rixgear
PSN- OneLibra, Gamertag- Ragebit, 3DSFC- 2793-0608-4349
#22Carbuncle009Posted 5/5/2013 3:14:16 PM
Everyone 2-8 has the distinct advantage of having better item opportunity. Opportunity which the person in 1st place does not get. Potential game-changing items. A (MKW/DS) blue shell for the 7th place racer does absolutely nothing to help him. It just serves to screw the 1st place racer over while giving no position to the user. That is just chaos for the sake of chaos, like tripping in Brawl.

Which is why I kinda like MK7's version. only around 6th - 5th Place can get it, right? 7th and 8th get higher chances for the Gold Mushroom, Banzai Bill, and Lightning. 6th and 5th have higher chances for Blue Shell, and also get higher chances for 3x Items alongside 4th.

Am I getting this right?
---
Can I put my Onix in your Cloyster? Yes: 7 No: 4 Maybe: 2
The Sapphire Carbuncle: Why I watch technicolor ponies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYTKbC6tbw
#23Delirious_BeardPosted 5/5/2013 3:17:43 PM
Carbuncle009 posted...

Which is why I kinda like MK7's version. only around 6th - 5th Place can get it, right? 7th and 8th get higher chances for the Gold Mushroom, Banzai Bill, and Lightning. 6th and 5th have higher chances for Blue Shell, and also get higher chances for 3x Items alongside 4th.

Am I getting this right?

I'm not exactly sure, but that would be the best way to design it. I haven't played MK7 is a while. Suddenly getting the urge to though.
---
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7082/7330305182_5b3fefe54c_o.gif http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcjibxsGMv1renuivo1_400.gif
http://i.imgur.com/WLAHEkx.gif
#24Yamata_DemonPosted 5/5/2013 3:18:36 PM
I totally agree with the TC. I hate Blue Shells as much as the next person, but it's a necessary evil to prevent the player in first position from breaking away from the pack uncontested. You can argue the player in first place get the worst items, but those items are effective enough to block incoming attacks from the player behind them. Once you get 3 Banana Peels, you're practically set for a near perfect defense.

Another thing people fail to understand is that being if first place is the safest position in the game.The best thing about being in first is that you don't have to worry about traps from a player in front of you. When you're in second or third, you have to worry about traps in front of you and incoming attacks from behind. It's too chaotic to be in the middle of the pack and with everyone attacking each other, the player in first place breaks away and no one is able to catch him.

Blue Shells are necessary, but I think they shouldn't appear on the final lap. There's nothing more annoying than being hit by a Blue Shell when you're literally several feet away from the finish line.
---
http://i.imgur.com/jgYSN8l.gif
#25Lord_FroodPosted 5/5/2013 3:24:32 PM
The real problem with the blue shell is that it rarely benefits the person who got it. Unless it's super clustered, getting a blue shell in 7th isn't gonna help you. MK64 had it right in that it traveled along the ground, potentially hitting everyone.
---
"I'd prolly AS if I went to a Pokemon board." - Foofyhead
Official Something or Other of That One Group
#26Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 3:30:41 PM
Lord_Frood posted...
The real problem with the blue shell is that it rarely benefits the person who got it. Unless it's super clustered, getting a blue shell in 7th isn't gonna help you. MK64 had it right in that it traveled along the ground, potentially hitting everyone.

Yes that's very true, it does not help the user much at all, but how else would you really balance out a lead racer?
---
#27Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 3:32:04 PM
Yamata_Demon posted...
I totally agree with the TC. I hate Blue Shells as much as the next person, but it's a necessary evil to prevent the player in first position from breaking away from the pack uncontested. You can argue the player in first place get the worst items, but those items are effective enough to block incoming attacks from the player behind them. Once you get 3 Banana Peels, you're practically set for a near perfect defense.

Another thing people fail to understand is that being if first place is the safest position in the game.The best thing about being in first is that you don't have to worry about traps from a player in front of you. When you're in second or third, you have to worry about traps in front of you and incoming attacks from behind. It's too chaotic to be in the middle of the pack and with everyone attacking each other, the player in first place breaks away and no one is able to catch him.

Blue Shells are necessary, but I think they shouldn't appear on the final lap. There's nothing more annoying than being hit by a Blue Shell when you're literally several feet away from the finish line.

Yes exactly, the idea of the blue shell is necessary, but I think everyone agrees it's execution needs some adjustments.
---
#28Carbuncle009Posted 5/5/2013 3:37:51 PM
Lord_Frood posted...

MK7 pulls that too. I've been hit a few times by it when I wasn't in 1st (read: 4th or 5th)
---
Can I put my Onix in your Cloyster? Yes: 7 No: 4 Maybe: 2
The Sapphire Carbuncle: Why I watch technicolor ponies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyYTKbC6tbw
#29demonfang178Posted 5/5/2013 3:38:52 PM
Carbuncle009 posted...

Am I getting this right?

Lightning is arguable worse, but I've seen last placers get the blue shell. Hell, you can get it on a one-on-one match.
#30SSJ2__GohanPosted 5/5/2013 3:53:17 PM
I too play Sonic and Sega Racing All-Stars Transformed (the PC version), and I don't notice any disadvantage with the lack of the Blue Shell. Even if first place keeps avoiding the bees, I have yet to see first place breaking away from the pack. The only difference I see is that first place doesn't suddenly end up last with miles to catch up on.

So, I have actually seen that there is NO valid reason for the Blue Shell.