There is a very VALID reason why Mario Kart has the blue Shell

#51TwilightEchoesPosted 5/7/2013 2:18:42 PM
GoldenJoe24 posted...

Obama disagrees!

As always, someone finds a way to childishly vent politics into other discussions. Keep it on topic, people.

Anyway, I would love if the blue shell was replaced by something akin to the bees in Transformed. It targets the lead racers, yet still gives plenty of room for them to avoid it. Whereas the blue shell is homing and nigh-unavoidable with only a few situational exceptions. I get that there needs to be some sort of hazard for leading player, as they're almost completely outside of the normal chaos everyone else is in otherwise, but it still needs to strike a balance of being fair.
---
[Insert an "[Insert witty saying or joke]" sig here]
#52mjc0961Posted 5/7/2013 2:30:48 PM
Rixgear posted...
This made me realize why the blue shell exists. Its not there to punish good players

Yes it is. Proof? Nobody who actually makes it to first place would complain about the lack of item to unfairly rob them of the place they earned via skill.

In other words, this is pretty much a "I will never see first place so I'm sad that I can't attack first place directly" thiread.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#53mjc0961Posted 5/7/2013 2:32:36 PM
Rixgear posted...
I forgot to add that yes 2nd place gets items to hit 1st place, but that doesnt matter when 3rd place is slowing them down and on top of them. Again, if you sucked at Sega all star racing 1 like me you will see what I am talking about

---
sirtonne posted...
#54mjc0961Posted 5/7/2013 2:33:47 PM
Rixgear posted...
Delirious_Beard posted...
Rixgear posted...
I forgot to add that yes 2nd place gets items to hit 1st place, but that doesnt matter when 3rd place is slowing them down and on top of them. Again, if you played Sega all star racing 1 you will see what I am talking about

And 1st place racers get the worst luck of the draw when it comes to items. Your logic is circular. That 3rd place racer could also be getting slowed down by the 4th place racer, and so on.

This is the reason why everyone is slowed down except the player in first place. I understand what you're saying, and it makes complete sense. However, I wouldn't be bringing this up if it wasn't so prominent in the game. If not then why is it first place gets such a huge lead?? this isn't due to pure skill, as I am not very good at the game and I never got first place which is why I want a blue shell

---
sirtonne posted...
#55mjc0961Posted 5/7/2013 2:36:06 PM
SSJ2__Gohan posted...
I too play Sonic and Sega Racing All-Stars Transformed (the PC version), and I don't notice any disadvantage with the lack of the Blue Shell. Even if first place keeps avoiding the bees, I have yet to see first place breaking away from the pack. The only difference I see is that first place doesn't suddenly end up last with miles to catch up on.

So, I have actually seen that there is NO valid reason for the Blue Shell.

And these are the words of a skilled player, not someone who sucks horribly and needs to rely on a crutch like the blue shell to win races.
---
sirtonne posted...
#56AKC12Posted 5/7/2013 7:45:09 PM
Playing with random online opponents, I've been able to pull off Blue Shell dodges with a mushroom quite frequently. Usually you hang back at the start of the race, get mushrooms, then pull ahead, and hope no one targets you with a red shell or get lightning'ed. It's a risky strategy, but from my experience it's not impractical at all.

But I'd imagine if you set up online races with players who know what they're doing, it is a lot less likely you can pull it off.

Blur, a kart racer with real cars, has an item called Shock, where it places 3 circles ahead of the first place racer, similar to the Swarm item in the Sonic game.. It is difficult to dodge at full speed, and If any driver hits it, they lose a lot of speed. Get with the times Mario Kart. You haven't sold me yet just by announcing a new Mario Kart with Sonic Racing Transformed out there.
#57nintendoman562Posted 5/7/2013 7:58:03 PM
Ever since snaking was removed the driving mechanics haven't been deep enough to justify removing the blue shell. If the blue shell was removed, the person in 1st place would NEVER get hit. Most players know the optimal routes through each stage so they would likely stay in first place. The blue shell is needed to give other players a chance to catch up.
#58Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 5:41:25 PM
mjc0961 posted...
SSJ2__Gohan posted...
I too play Sonic and Sega Racing All-Stars Transformed (the PC version), and I don't notice any disadvantage with the lack of the Blue Shell. Even if first place keeps avoiding the bees, I have yet to see first place breaking away from the pack. The only difference I see is that first place doesn't suddenly end up last with miles to catch up on.

And these are the words of a skilled player, not someone who sucks horribly and needs to rely on a crutch like the blue shell to win races.

Woah man what is up with you?? I'm not complaining about losing :( I was just saying that I understand why the blue shell exists. I have even said in this thread actual reasons why its a valid item, and I am not the only one. Again, its clear that there needs to be an item that aims for the lead racer, but not one that is unavoidable. Also I said that I won the races, nearly lapping the other players just because I WASN'T getting hit by the items, and I admit I am not very good at th e game. I was NOT complaining that I was losing, I don't know where you got that from :(
---
Proud owner of all consoles. Nintendo ID- Ragebit, Steam- Rixgear
PSN- OneLibra, Gamertag- Ragebit, 3DSFC- 2793-0608-4349
#59Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 5:45:15 PM
mjc0961 posted...
Rixgear posted...
Delirious_Beard posted...
Rixgear posted...
I forgot to add that yes 2nd place gets items to hit 1st place, but that doesnt matter when 3rd place is slowing them down and on top of them. Again, if you played Sega all star racing 1 you will see what I am talking about

And 1st place racers get the worst luck of the draw when it comes to items. Your logic is circular. That 3rd place racer could also be getting slowed down by the 4th place racer, and so on.

This is the reason why everyone is slowed down except the player in first place. I understand what you're saying, and it makes complete sense. However, I wouldn't be bringing this up if it wasn't so prominent in the game. If not then why is it first place gets such a huge lead?? this isn't due to pure skill, as I am not very good at the game and I never got first place which is why I want a blue shell

Why on earth did you change what I actually said?? I never said I wanted the blue shell at all, the original post that I posted in this very thread doesn't even say that :( what are you trying to prove here?
---
#60Rixgear(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 5:47:37 PM
mjc0961 posted...
SSJ2__Gohan posted...

In that post he is referring to Transformed, the sequel which has the Swarm item that is similiar to the blue shell, which I even said I preferred and thought it was a better ityem than the blue shell itself. Again, I don't know what your problem is?? :(
---