Quick question about importing a Japanese 3DS

#1DsvkbPosted 5/9/2013 8:36:26 AM
I've been looking at importing one for a while and just had a quick question.

Can you charge them on US outlets, or do I need to get a converter? I hear it's different between the normal models and the LL, so I wanted to figure out for sure how it works.
#2esoteric42Posted 5/9/2013 9:06:03 AM
No charger included with the LL.

Uses the same charger as the NA version.

Bought mine from http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/

Good prices and great shipping time.
---
Check out my images from Tomodachi Collection and Animal Crossing at: http://www.3dporch.com/users/esoteric30
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#3TaCtiiCz_xPosted 5/9/2013 9:16:21 AM
esoteric42 posted...
No charger included with the LL.

Uses the same charger as the NA version.

Bought mine from http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/

Good prices and great shipping time.

May I ask how you deal with purchasing retail and Nintendo eShop titles? I'd really like to get the Super Mario Bros. 2 XL but I'm not so sure about importing games in Japanese... or can you change the language setting to English?
---
The time is out of joint. O, cursed spite... that I was ever born to set it right.
#4GhetsisPosted 5/9/2013 9:19:36 AM
I've heard there are different voltages from NA, EU, and I believe JP.

To be safe, just get a NA charger. DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, and 3DS XL all use the exact same charger, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#5esoteric42Posted 5/9/2013 9:37:12 AM
I use a Japanese charger on my Japanese 3DS in the States.

There is no voltage difference. If there was, it wouldn't fit in a standard US outlet.

Anyway,

I make eShop purchases with a US credit card for retail games that are available.

If it's physical only, I import the game where ever I can find it cheapest.

No English option on a Japanese 3DS at all.

All of the menus are identical to the NA version (the most notable exception that there is no option in the system settings menu to change the language).

I don't know a lick of Japanese and love my Japanese 3DS and the games that I play.

There are FAQs for some Japan only games with English translations or walkthroughs.

Furthermore, if you run into problems, it's easy to track down someone else on these boards that has a Japanese 3DS that can help you out if you get stuck.

Buy Tomodachi Collection when you get your cool new Japanese 3DS.
---
Check out my images from Tomodachi Collection and Animal Crossing at: http://www.3dporch.com/users/esoteric30
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#6HiddenDoorwayPosted 5/9/2013 9:37:38 AM
May I ask how you deal with purchasing retail and Nintendo eShop titles? I'd really like to get the Super Mario Bros. 2 XL but I'm not so sure about importing games in Japanese... or can you change the language setting to English?

When it comes to importing games, you really just need to go around and look at different websites are selling them. They're going to cost quite a bit more than they normally should. So you need to price shop around to try and find the best deal. For a new game, you're generally looking at $50-70 (Shipping included, if they include a shipping cost). Normally I would avoid sites like PlayAsia, since they can be a little overpriced.

Getting E-shop titles will be more cost effective. If you have a credit card, you might be able to purchase credits that way. It really depends, if you know if your credit card works in Japan, it will probably work for the JP eShop. If this doesn't work, you're going to need to hunt down Japanese eShop cards online.

I haven't messed with the options that much, but I don't believe that there is an English option. Navigating the menus shouldn't be that difficult if you don't know Japanese, though.

I've heard there are different voltages from NA, EU, and I believe JP.

To be safe, just get a NA charger. DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, and 3DS XL all use the exact same charger, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Japan uses two different types of voltage, 100-127V/50Hz and 100-127V/60Hz. The difference shouldn't be too bad, and I think the charges are made mostly for the 100-127V/60Hz variant, which is what the US uses.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4i8uuK8pT1qehcb3o1_500.png
#7TaCtiiCz_xPosted 5/9/2013 9:39:47 AM
Hmm yeah, and there's always the option of learning to speak/read Japanese ! ... >.>
---
The time is out of joint. O, cursed spite... that I was ever born to set it right.
#8Dsvkb(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 10:11:36 AM
Alright, thanks for the help everyone! I've already got a North American 3DS, so I'll just use the charger for that if I get the LL. Any games I should get for sure? Right now I'm mainly looking at just getting the Taiko no Tatsujin 3DS game to start. I'm really interested in Fantasy Life and Tomodachi Collection though, but I have a feeling they're going to be localised, so I don't know if I should wait on them or not.