Was Nintendo wise to move their big franchises from consoles to handhelds?

#1KythlynPosted 5/9/2013 2:57:16 PM(edited)
Edit: Sorry about the title. This is about any developer's games being moved from console to handheld, not just Nintendo's.

Lots of franchises with games that were traditionally released on Nintendo's console platforms have been moved to the DS or 3DS. This article goes over that subject in detail:

http://gamerhorizon.com/the-nintendo-3ds-and-popular-console-franchises-a-smart-decision/

What do you think about games like Monster Hunter 4 and Shin Megami Tensei IV being exclusively handheld games?

Personally this recent trend bothers me a lot. I prefer consoles to handheld gaming in general though, so I might be biased about the subject. But in general, I rarely enjoy handheld games as much as their console counterparts. For example, recently I played the Assassin's Creed and Uncharted games on Vita, and neither of them held my attention or played as well as the console games did.

Modern games that play like games of the 16-bit era fit better with handhelds, so I'm not too worried about The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past 2, but Monster Hunter 4 seems like a game that would be best appreciated on a screen large enough to do justice to the enormity of the enemies in the game. On the other hand, a JRPG like Shin Megami Tensei IV should be okay I guess... but I'd still prefer it on a console.
---
http://gamerhorizon.com/
#2Sakura_RailgunPosted 5/9/2013 2:46:11 PM
Handheld Monster Hunters sell way better than console versions, so it only makes sense for it to be on a handheld. And either way, SMTIV and MH4 are not Nintendo franchises, so I'm not sure why you talk about those games when your thread title is asking if Nintendo was wise in moving their franchises (which they haven't).
#3Kythlyn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/9/2013 2:48:43 PM
Sakura_Railgun posted...
Handheld Monster Hunters sell way better than console versions, so it only makes sense for it to be on a handheld. And either way, SMTIV and MH4 are not Nintendo franchises, so I'm not sure why you talk about those games when your thread title is asking if Nintendo was wise in moving their franchises (which they haven't).

Hmm... that was actually a misinterpretation of the article on my part! Sorry about that. The subject here is in fact franchises of any company being moved away from consoles to handhelds.
---
http://gamerhorizon.com/
#4Someguy_13Posted 5/9/2013 2:52:13 PM
Monster Hunter is a Capcom series.

Nintendo isn't responsible for bringing MH4 to the 3DS.
---
Survivor of the Yahoo Bunker War of 2010
#5MeGaMaN123321Posted 5/9/2013 2:55:39 PM
I think it's fine as long as they give hand held franchises the same treatment. I'd like to see a Mario & Luigi game on Wii u.
---
PSN: Raging-Shadow15 3DS Friend Code: 4253-3510-2432
#6x_stevey_xPosted 5/9/2013 2:56:30 PM
i think it's wise. i like consoles too but imo all of the other consoles are better choices than the wii/u. especially PC these days. but as a pc gamer it's very hard to get your games portable, and you also miss out on nintendo exclusives. so the 3ds solves both of these problems for me.
#7Pork_buttonmashPosted 5/9/2013 3:04:57 PM
I think it's a great idea. By making a game exclusive to a handheld console, your not only reaching a new market of gamers that are not familiar with a series, but you're also forming a relationship with the console developers (Nintendo, Sony or Apple). In addition to that, they even help sell consoles. I can even see a game like HM4 moving 3ds consoles in Japan. It's great for both companies.
#8RetroFanGirlPosted 5/9/2013 4:29:36 PM
Nintendo's handhelds sell more, so yes.
---
Hi.