What is Zelda?

#1mumpsy21Posted 5/11/2013 10:19:26 AM
I've been lurking boards and watching some youtube videos, and I still can't get a clear picture of the game. Is it linear? Does combat involve more than just pressing attack and the occasional equipment usage? Is the story just a classic "You're the only one who can save ____"?

How would you describe Zelda? And what do you like most about it(from story to gameplay)?

I'd rather get feedback from people here than scour youtube and google with my slow internet.

The reason I got a 3DS is to try out games I've never played before (Mario, Zelda, Kirby, all that crap) so far, nintendo-wise, I've only played Mario.
---
The only thing I'll be waving is your decapitated head on a stick in front of your weeping mother.
#2GhetsisPosted 5/11/2013 10:19:56 AM
Zelda is a princess. The princess of Hyrule.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#3PeteZaHutxPosted 5/11/2013 10:20:51 AM
Zelda isn't just a game it is abstract , it is finesse, its is life.

Zelda is life.
#4mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 10:22:26 AM
Huh, it seems I've been too vague. I meant the 3DS game and not the character.
---
The only thing I'll be waving is your decapitated head on a stick in front of your weeping mother.
#5jedinatPosted 5/11/2013 10:23:58 AM
It's an action-adventure franchise where you slash baddies and progress through dungeons full of puzzles using discovered tools and powers that enable you to progress through an overworld that steadily becomes more accessible to you.
#6mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 10:25:06 AM
What makes you want to finish it? The story or just being able to slowly explore more of the world? And is combat enjoyable? Or is it just slashing through things with a couple of variations?
---
#7MrKunioPosted 5/11/2013 10:25:38 AM
Buy the game and do exactly what you wanted to do. Try games out.
---
Official Mr. Bousouzoku 1986
3DS Fc: Mr. Kunio - 3437-4087-1475
#8mumpsy21(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 10:27:40 AM
MrKunio posted...
Buy the game and do exactly what you wanted to do. Try games out.

Well, with so many games I'm wondering which I should prioritize, I can only afford about one game per month, and I just finished Soul Hackers.
---
#9Starwars4JPosted 5/11/2013 10:31:30 AM
How the **** does anyone not know what Zelda is?
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#102wingedangelPosted 5/11/2013 10:33:45 AM
mumpsy21 posted...
Huh, it seems I've been too vague. I meant the 3DS game and not the character.

If you're going to get a 3DS just for OoT, you're doing it wrong. Don't worry, there's another Zelda game in development that should be released by the end of the year.

As to answer your question, the Zelda franchise is an action adventure. You go through multiple dungeons to get items that will help you continue your quest. There are many different types of items. Dungeon items are primarily used to solve puzzles in the dungeon it's found in and is most often the boss's weakness. However, many items, such as the Hookshot, bombs, etc. can also be used to explore the overworld further. Most Zelda games are non-linear, with some exceptions *coughSpiritTrackscough*. Each game usually has its own twist, like Twilight Princess letting you turn into a wolf, Wind Waker has you travelling by boat, and Phantom Hourglass controls almost completely with the touch screen.
---
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3
Black 2 FC: 4213-1800-0462