Do DS games still look like crap on the XL?

#1Dragard_KaosPosted 5/11/2013 4:12:49 PM
Thinking about upgrading. The standard 3DS makes DS games look pretty bad unless you hold Select + Start to make the image smaller. How is it on the 3DS XL?
---
The official Seiten Taisei of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Boards.
http://www.backloggery.com/dragard
#2gangster4lifeyoPosted 5/11/2013 4:14:51 PM
It's exactly the same thing.
#3esoteric42Posted 5/11/2013 4:15:01 PM
DS games look fine on a regular 3DS or an XL.

I never run them at the native resolution by pressing select or start.

I primarily play my DS games on my XL.
---
Check out my images from Tomodachi Collection and Animal Crossing at: http://www.3dporch.com/users/esoteric30
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#4Quinn95Posted 5/11/2013 4:16:07 PM
It actually looks better imo.
---
3DS: 2750 - 1109 - 9662
#5Dragard_Kaos(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 4:16:42 PM
So they still don't look as sharp as on a normal DS eh? As long as it doesn't get worse on the XL than it already is on the 3DS, then that's fine, I guess. Thought that the bigger screens would stretch the image even worse.
---
The official Seiten Taisei of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Boards.
http://www.backloggery.com/dragard
#6wentzelotPosted 5/11/2013 4:26:51 PM
as long as it keeps the aspect ratio i couldn't care less. when people play emulators they stretch the heck out of the image. bigger = better even if it's a slight loss in quality. but if the aspect ratio is left in tact it still looks good to me.
#7MrKunioPosted 5/11/2013 5:23:17 PM
It takes a little bit to get used to if you play ds games on regular 3ds.

I played DQXI on my 3ds and it was kind of hard to read and a little blurrier. However, when I played 4 heroes of light, everything seemed fine.

????

Maybe its a rare occurrence but it might just depend on the game.
---
Official Mr. Bousouzoku 1986
3DS Fc: Mr. Kunio - 3437-4087-1475
#8Haley Joel OsmentPosted 5/11/2013 5:48:35 PM
wentzelot posted...
when people play emulators they stretch the heck out of the image.

That's generally a completely different scenario. Emulators actually render the games at a higher resolution, essentially giving them a higher native resolution, whereas backward compatible consoles just upscale the original low resolution output to fit the screen. Obviously the former looks far better than the latter.

---
I see dead people.
#9KamilPosted 5/11/2013 5:51:21 PM
I'm sure you could point out faults but I play DS games on the 3DS XL a lot. It doesn't bother me. It's not like playing Mario Party 1 on a big LCD tv. That takes getting used to lol
---
slowbeef: Is this supposed to make me afraid of Crystal Boy? Because his name is still Crystal Boy.
Retsupurae on Cobra, a space adventure of tattoos and feet.
#10GhetsisPosted 5/11/2013 5:57:03 PM
MrKunio posted...
It takes a little bit to get used to if you play ds games on regular 3ds.

I played DQXI on my 3ds and it was kind of hard to read and a little blurrier. However, when I played 4 heroes of light, everything seemed fine.

????

Maybe its a rare occurrence but it might just depend on the game.

DQXI doesn't even exist yet!
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?