Should I get Fire emblem? Do you think it would be worth it?

#1ElectricNovaPosted 5/12/2013 11:29:20 AM
For a while I discounted the game and said "I'm terrible at SRPG'S, so I won't buy it".

(To be fair, all I have played of SRPG's really is FF Tactics- the PSP version- and I was really bad at that when I played it several years ago. I did start trying to play that again somewhere around 2010-2011, and did much better that time, but my PSP soon broke. Basically, I doubt I'm as bad as I was)

I was being determined not to get lured into an experience I wouldn't enjoy by the presentational aspects. but I've heard a lot about it being more accessible, Casual mode and all that. I played the demo, enjoyed it. Didn't have any problems with beating the demo but I knew that this was basically the tutorial section.

I liked the look of the game from the demo, and I get the feeling I could play it well enough at this point, and shake off my weird thing about SRPG'S.

I'm buying Luigi's mansion and Animal crossing (And bravely default when it comes out later this year, and Pokémon obviously)

I'm just trying to see whether I should buy this or not. How user friendly (and noob friendly) is it? How accessible is it?

Thanks, just trying to not make an impulse buy and regret it later
---
Official Rayquaza of the Pokemon X and Y boards
I like a lot of things. Like Pokemon. And Sonic. And Kirby. And Smash bros. And Coca cola.
#2esoteric42Posted 5/12/2013 11:32:41 AM
You won't regret the purchase.
---
Check out my images from Tomodachi Collection and Animal Crossing at: http://www.3dporch.com/users/esoteric30
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#3LinkMaster2703Posted 5/12/2013 11:33:19 AM
Fire Emblem: Awakening is easily the most accessible of the series. You could set it to the easiest difficulty with casual mode and you probably wouldn't have too hard of a time with it. I say get it, I loved it.
#4smashmaster1111Posted 5/12/2013 11:34:59 AM
If you enjoyed the demo you will enjoy the full game, its basically more of the same. For the record it is the most played game on my 3DS.
I would recommend it.
---
http://koti.phnet.fi/santamik/sexophone.swf
http://timh.fobby.net/timh.swf
#5Deimos259Posted 5/12/2013 11:35:09 AM
You could always grind
---
This is serious hee-ho, remember that.
#6AnclationPosted 5/12/2013 11:36:26 AM
With multiple difficulty settings, casual mode and plenty of grinding opportunities the game can basically be as easy or hard as you want it to be. I'm not a big SRPG guy myself, nor a fan of overly hard games, but I enjoyed Awakening tremendously (and it was actually quite easy on Normal-Casual).
#7JKSonicPosted 5/12/2013 11:41:29 AM
I'm not terrible at SRPG's and in some cases I really love them. I don't know though, so far I haven't been able to get into it. I'm around 5 or so hours in and I'm not sure if it picks up but MAN it's slow. Also from everything I saw on the game I don't know I guess I had the impression it was more "open". I'm not ready to quit on it yet but unless it both picks up the pace and opens up a bit I'm not sure how much longer I'll play.

I also have gotten pissed about how lots of times the enemies will just COMPLETELY ignore characters who are both already beaten down and beating on them...abandon the fight...and go attack a healer or mage that just moved within range. AI seems a little suspect so far so I always have to adjust what I'm doing based on what it does rather than common sense. I mean if you already have one of my strongest characters nearly dead you MIGHT want to take him out quick instead of sending half your damn force to take out a healer way off on the side when you could have sent one guy over to do the job. Every freaking fight so far has boiled down to the EXACT SAME THING - protect my healer, usually by keeping them as far back as possible.
---
https://www.facebook.com/AbstractedRealism (pinup and boudoir)
https://www.facebook.com/KulhaPhotography (families, scenery, etc)
#8BonggoblinPosted 5/12/2013 2:22:46 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I kept hearing stories about how amazing it is and how it's the best 3DS game so far. I finally caved and bought it 2 days ago. I am terrible at SRPGs and I am already on Ch 7. I am playing on casual, which is a good thing because I have 1 or 2 characters die every battle I'm in. I don't think it is the best game out there for 3DS, but I wanted something to kill time before AC:NL and the Zelda Oracle games are released. It really is super easy on casual normal and I might go through without casual on after I beat it and get the hang of the game a little bit more. I have mixed feelings on it, but I haven't bought a game since Lego City Undercover and before that was Kingdom Hearts. I love RPGs, but I'm just not real good at SRPGs.. I would strongly recommend Lego over Fire emblem, but I think you'll get your money's worth with either. I hope this helps because I think you are in the situation I was in. Now I think I'm set until May 30th for oracles, and then I'll be set until June 9th for AC, and after that I'll easily be set until KH 1.5 and GTAV in September.
---
XBL: BGobblin
PSN: BongGoblin
#9DynamicJumpIuffPosted 5/12/2013 2:26:06 PM(edited)
It's good but there's not much to do after you beat the game. :/

Unless you count the DLC, that is.

If you're looking for a time-sinker, Etrian Odyssey and Monster Hunter (Not a fan, personally) are probably better options.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#10wentzelotPosted 5/12/2013 2:26:17 PM
i've been playing on hard/casual and i find it to be a fair challenge but not cheap.. not losing characters after they die and being able to save whenever you want is a big plus to me.. and hard keeps the challenge at least there. there have been a couple times where i've still died or lost the mission objective. classic mode would probably just annoy me more than make it more challenging.