Did people actually like Star Fox SNES back in the day?

#1mahgah91Posted 5/13/2013 4:01:37 PM
I'm playing through it right now and it's almost unplayable with how sluggish the Mode 7 is. I understand at the time it was probably really cool graphics and the music is excellent, but I could still see myself enjoying 2D shooters way more.

While I'm sure part of it is bias from today's games/graphics, this is the third time I've attempted to play through the game in ten years (first time was ten years ago when I was 12).
#2FenderMasterPosted 5/13/2013 4:02:57 PM
Yeah we did, but its aged horribly. Starfox 64 renders the original obsolete.
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#31upsuperPosted 5/13/2013 4:03:04 PM
I own the SNES cart and I love it. I think it's great. Almost as good as SF64, actually. I love the secret level with the paper enemies too.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
#4Second_ChancesPosted 5/13/2013 4:03:09 PM
I played it for the first time not too long ago and liked it more than 64.
#5Mega_RatPosted 5/13/2013 4:05:21 PM
Just played and beat it again yesterday, plays great in my opinion.
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .. WHAT! O_O
http://imgur.com/ExbDPIs <- My name in a game (MSFHD)! :D
#6thespezinatorPosted 5/13/2013 4:09:47 PM
It was absolutely revolutionary back in the day. It doesn't look so hot now. That said, I've had the Corneria stage music as my ringtone for a long time. Awesome ringtone lol. It saddens me when I go into video game shops and it rings, but nobody recognises it. What the hell are you doing working in a video game shop?! You have NO qualifications! <this is hyperbole.
---
3DS FC: 1821-8888-0296. Please send me a PM if you add me, otherwise I won't know!
#7GhetsisPosted 5/13/2013 4:13:44 PM
I played it as a kid, but I didn't really get into it and finish it until just a couple of years ago.

I like it a lot. Maybe even more than 64. The original Star Fox is much more challenging, and it has better music, IMO.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#8ZeroArcheryPosted 5/13/2013 4:14:11 PM
It was revolutionary at the time. And the graphics were not thought possible at that time either.

The music, the controls, it made you feel great and in control.

Yeah, I loved it as a kid, though I really sucked at it.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#9NatatteruPosted 5/13/2013 4:14:29 PM
Actually I can play the original just fine today as I did back in the day. Star Fox 64 IS however way better than it..
---
3DS: 3239-2567-4999 Official Swordmaster and Husband of Say'ri from the FE Awakening board.
PSN: NatatBW P4A: Liz - BBCSX: Bang - 3s: Makoto - MBAACC: H-VSion
#10Starwars4JPosted 5/13/2013 4:17:38 PM
The way you feel about Star Fox now is the way people will look back on this generation of games. Good graphics for the time, terrible gameplay.

Then people wonder why older gamers say "gameplay > graphics"
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade