do 3DSXLs have that stupid design flaw the original 3ds did?

#1MegaMettaurPosted 5/13/2013 7:56:58 PM
thinking about getting the animal crossing one, but that screen flaw is stupid. it ruined my first two 3ds's to the point where I just got rid of them.
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#2ChiefDamonGantPosted 5/13/2013 8:07:13 PM
you mean the bottom screen's border and circle pad leaving marks on the top screen?

No, the XL has a slightly open closed position so that the contact is very minimal.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0001-3567-2030
passid.ca/zai
#3GLDanzegoPosted 5/13/2013 9:10:49 PM
Yes, the XL still has issues, but not to the extent that the original had. Now, it's not uncommon to end up with the odd divot here or there on the top screen along where the border of the bottom screen is.

The 3DD is such a great system, it's not worth missing out on. I would get a screen protector to minimize the problem and be able to put a new one on every so often. You can also leave a cleaning cloth in between the screens when closin it and carrying it around, which will completely solve the problem. :)
#4MegaMettaur(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 9:59:48 PM
well when I got rid of the 3DS I bought at launch, I wasn't missing much of anything, and when I sold the 3DS I bought on christmas the same year, I wasn't missing out on much of anything either, except maybe some Mario Kart 7, that I got tired of pretty quickly (and became unplayable because Nintendo fails at making shoulder buttons). I'm motivated to give the 3DS a 3rd and final try with the XL due to Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Zelda. Even if I don't like the rest of the library, those games will keep me entertained far longer than my Vita will.
---
(VITA): DJ Max Technika Tune. (Ps3): Infamous 2, KoF. PSN: Roksor.
(PC): Mabinogi, Lunatic Rave 2
#5esoteric42Posted 5/14/2013 9:40:04 AM
Get a silicone case from Amazon. That'll keep the screens from rubbing together.

Oh wait, you're getting the Animal Crossing XL?

That's gonna cover up the artwork.

Better get screen protectors instead.
---
Check out my images from Tomodachi Collection and Animal Crossing at: http://www.3dporch.com/users/esoteric30
US 3DS Friend Code: 4511-0481-8141 (Bryan)
#6noname278Posted 5/14/2013 10:49:53 AM
esoteric42 posted...
Get a silicone case from Amazon. That'll keep the screens from rubbing together.

Oh wait, you're getting the Animal Crossing XL?

That's gonna cover up the artwork.

Better get screen protectors instead.

Maybe covering up that junk is for the best.
---
Specs Desktop: Intel i5 2500K 4.0Ghz(H80i cooler), Asrock extrm3 gen 3 ,8gb ddr3 1600 ram,EVGA 670 FTW 4GB
#7JurassicBondPosted 5/14/2013 11:00:15 AM
I have an original 3DS and I got screen protectors(which I do for every handheld device I own) and keep a microfiber cloth inside it when closed. That prevents any marks from showing up.
---
Reading: Hogfather - Terry Pratchett
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg
#8AkaimizuPosted 5/14/2013 11:08:08 AM(edited)
Like one of the above posters said. It still has the design flaw, but it is a lot less pronounced than the 3DS one. They do have extra divots in attempt to separate the screen more, but it can still happen in your pocket, when moving around (not so much if you just set it down or always travel with it in a bag. Less opportunities for the top and bottom to squeeze together and move). However, the impression it leaves is not at the same screen-ruining level. It is still annoying because it doesn't leave a perfectly unscathed screen.

I would recommend some sort of transparent screen cover, for the top, just to be extra sure to protect it. Or some small travel cloth you can put between the screens.

My first initial 3DS (not XL) got a pretty nasty impression from the bottom screen edge, but it eventually got messed up (in other ways) and was replaced by Nintendo (for which they moved my digital purchases over as well). Now I have a perfect-screen replica of it for which they shipped it with a small packaging material that goes between the two screens. When not playing it, I always replace the packaging material piece there to keep my regular 3DS in top shape.
---
Check out my Animal Crossing Remixes at:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzIIDVp2_oUgB4EqH5IpevzwWlMxKMPvy
#9Heat6JonesPosted 5/14/2013 11:14:18 AM
The XL has a much better design. The screens don't press as close together, the stylus is easier to access and the three buttons under the bottom LCD are much more responsive and have a more pleasant feel.

The triggers are still horrible and too easy to accidentally trigger which is especially annoying in the 3DS menu where it automatically brings up the camera when you make the mistake.

And only one analog still but fortunately the games are designed to work well with the controls available.
#10DeathSoul2000Posted 5/14/2013 11:23:56 AM
Heat6Jones posted...
The XL has a much better design. The screens don't press as close together, the stylus is easier to access and the three buttons under the bottom LCD are much more responsive and have a more pleasant feel.

The triggers are still horrible and too easy to accidentally trigger which is especially annoying in the 3DS menu where it automatically brings up the camera when you make the mistake.

And only one analog still but fortunately the games are designed to work well with the controls available.

except he asked for none of that outside of the screen issue.