Why do people think that if you break your 3DS you lose your digital content?

#1HiddenDoorwayPosted 5/14/2013 11:35:37 AM
I've seen so many people on this board through this around, and it's pretty clear that they have no idea what they are talking about.

If your system breaks or if you lose it and are smart enough to keep the product ID, you can get Nintendo to transfer your download data to a new 3DS. The only thing you aren't fully guaranteed to recover is your streetpass data and your game save data for physical games and digital games not stored on an SD card.

If anything, you're more likely to save your stuff if you buy digital. If your game cart breaks, good luck getting a replacement from the company who made it, you pretty much have to go buy it if you want to play it again. If your 3DS breaks and you only buy physical, you might end up losing all of your save data.

I know this for a fact, because I know at least two people who have gotten their broken 3DS replaced and had their digital content transferred by Nintendo. And Nintendo customer service has always been really good about replacing/fixing systems and sending them back really quickly.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4i8uuK8pT1qehcb3o1_500.png
#2GhetsisPosted 5/14/2013 11:37:56 AM
HiddenDoorway posted...
If anything, you're more likely to save your stuff if you buy digital. If your game cart breaks, good luck getting a replacement from the company who made it, you pretty much have to go buy it if you want to play it again.

I don't think I've ever heard of a DS/3DS game cart being "broken." Unless someone actively tries to destroy it.
---
For those players who don't speak Australian, we have provided an English translation of the previous scene. Do you want to replay the scene?
#3RX02BansheePosted 5/14/2013 11:40:27 AM(edited)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/66156014

So no, it is not acceptable, and no, sending it in to Nintendo does not assure you your digital purchases.

And no, physical games will not last less time than digital copies unless you are just plain bad with your possessions, in which case your 3DS will likely get broken as well.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Current Location: In your nightmares with a knife and a gun and a chilling wail
#4PhaseSlaethePosted 5/14/2013 11:42:33 AM
Since I've maintained my NES since I was a child, even through house moves and such, I don't think any physical media is in any danger when in my possession.

Unlike Digital, where if Nintendo so chooses, or any company so chooses, I could lose my access.
#5UFOLochePosted 5/14/2013 11:50:14 AM(edited)
RX02Banshee posted...

So no, it is not acceptable, and no, sending it in to Nintendo does not assure you your digital purchases.

And no, physical games will not last less time than digital copies unless you are just plain bad with your possessions, in which case your 3DS will likely get broken as well.

A topic made without the slightest bit of proof that Nintendo had done anything(When, in fact, we've had proof pointing towards the opposite, that they're willing to go out of their way to please their customers). Good post, chap. I can make things up, too.

"Jin Saotome is going to team up with Travis Touchdown for a brand new game called No More Cyberbots"

See? I can make random crap up, too. I'm not saying he's a liar, but he showed no proof and the situation just seemed entirely suspect and completely against what we've known about Nintendo and how they handle these situations.

Besides that, physical things CAN break. My copy of Trials and Tribulations is rather wonky and screwed up, even though I've kept it in a case when it's not in the DS/3DS. So believe me, it can happen. Personally, I prefer physical, too, but you all are seriously blind to a lot of the issues physical products bring to the table.

PhaseSlaethe posted...
Since I've maintained my NES since I was a child, even through house moves and such, I don't think any physical media is in any danger when in my possession.

Unlike Digital, where if Nintendo so chooses, or any company so chooses, I could lose my access.

Oh jesus christ, stop with the tinfoil hat schtick already, unless the game poses an immediate danger to consumers or the company(Like, say, software on the Vita that people used as an exploit to hack the Vita. And even THEN, it was just taken off the shop, people who bought it got to keep it) there is NO way Nintendo would take it away. And believe it or not, accidents happen to physical products just as much as digital, they're not really any safer as a chip that fits into a small card or as a bunch of data stored on an SD card. At least with the SD card you can redownload it.
---
PSN:Marioandli Skype:Viewtifulninja1
Legends never die!
#6HiddenDoorway(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 11:51:55 AM
I don't think I've ever heard of a DS/3DS game cart being "broken." Unless someone actively tries to destroy it.

There are these things called floods, earthquakes, disasters. 3DS carts aren't going to be protected from those things very well. I've known people who lost hundreds of games when their house flooded. It's something that happens pretty often over here on the East Coast.

It's so easy to prove that that person is lying.

First of all, they claim that Nintendo didn't tell them to take their SD card out. For one, that's just common sense. And I know for a fact that Nintendo requires you to take out your stylus, game cart, SD card, skin, battery, and any other kind of accessory before sending it to them, because they don't want to be liable for any of that if it gets lost.

Secondly, they claim that they only have a download that they did not purchase. Any normal person who wasn't trolling would think that they accidentally got sent back the wrong 3DS, but the TC never even acknowledges that.

Thirdly, they never present any form of proof.

Fourthly, from the time I've worked with Nintendo's customer service, and from what other people have told me about their experiences with Nintendo's customer service, it's nothing like what the TC claims it was like. It's pretty clear that they've never even talked to their customer service.

So not only do you not do any research before you start spouting BS, but you are also really gullible. What a wonderful combination.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4i8uuK8pT1qehcb3o1_500.png
#7Binba442Posted 5/14/2013 11:54:51 AM
PhaseSlaethe posted...

haha, no you don't.

Carts will Always fail, it can take decades, and can be fixed, but it happens, Digital however is harder to break, and takes longer to decay.

If nintendo doesn't want you to play, let's say.... AA5 anymore, and you downloaded that last week, they can't stop you. Don't connect to the internet, they can't stop you. Heck, even if you connect to the internet it's hard for them to stop you. And if Nintendo starts to do that, it's going to throw up one hell of a storm.

You can lose a digital game if you lose your 3ds.

You can lose a cart if you lose your 3ds, or you cart could break, or those small things could get lost. That can't happen with a digital copy.
#8Gandalf the IstariPosted 5/14/2013 11:58:24 AM
I don't give a crap if you can lose it or not - it doesn't change that they end up charging the same amount for something that costs them less to produce, and the prices stay higher longer- its a blatant cash grab in every way.
#9UFOLochePosted 5/14/2013 12:05:45 PM(edited)
Binba442 posted...
PhaseSlaethe posted...

haha, no you don't.

Carts will Always fail, it can take decades, and can be fixed, but it happens, Digital however is harder to break, and takes longer to decay.

If nintendo doesn't want you to play, let's say.... AA5 anymore, and you downloaded that last week, they can't stop you. Don't connect to the internet, they can't stop you. Heck, even if you connect to the internet it's hard for them to stop you. And if Nintendo starts to do that, it's going to throw up one hell of a storm.

You can lose a digital game if you lose your 3ds.

You can lose a cart if you lose your 3ds, or you cart could break, or those small things could get lost. That can't happen with a digital copy.

Exactly, and another thing, a lot of companies can do a LOT of particularly nasty crap, but they don't. And if you honestly think, for ONE second that Nintendo would seriously take your digital game away for no reason, you either need psychiatric help because you are literally paranoid to the point of being crazy OR you're incredibly immature with no idea on how the world works.

I swear...

Gandalf the Istari posted...
I don't give a crap if you can lose it or not - it doesn't change that they end up charging the same amount for something that costs them less to produce, and the prices stay higher longer- its a blatant cash grab in every way.

Do you know how expensive games are? And do you know WHY physical products get cheaper? One of the main reasons is because stores want to push them out so they can put in newer and better products. With that no longer being the case, well gee! Now they have less of a reason to decrease the price! I swear, gamers are the most self-entitled people...
---
PSN:Marioandli Skype:Viewtifulninja1
Legends never die!
#10JurassicBondPosted 5/14/2013 12:33:58 PM(edited)
Too me it's not an issue of whether or not Nintendo will transfer the games for me. The issue is that I shouldn't have to go to them to do so. In this day and age a lack of an account system is utterly inexcusable.
---
Reading: Hogfather - Terry Pratchett
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg