Why do people think that if you break your 3DS you lose your digital content?

#41Frozenx07Posted 5/14/2013 6:07:11 PM
Binba442 posted...
Carts will Always fail, it can take decades, and can be fixed, but it happens, Digital however is harder to break, and takes longer to decay.

For you to say something like that, you much have never owned a cart. You must be one of those digital-only people who was born yesterday. I have NES carts I got over 20 years ago that work perfectly.
#42Abiz_Posted 5/14/2013 6:41:27 PM
This topic makes me feel like this.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pdWAcK6Eh8 Actually gamefaqs makes me feel like this.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#43n00bsaib0tPosted 5/15/2013 12:29:29 AM
TinyTim123 posted...
Gandalf the Istari posted...
HiddenDoorway posted...
Stopped reading here as all TC arguments beaten by this post.

Not really, any company with digital can do this, and the only time it has ever happened to my knowledge is to people who hacked to illegally obtain games, or people who filed charge backs (Which in case you don't know, is when you tell a company that you no longer want to do business with them. In which they have every right to ban you from their service.)

If you legitimately think that a company would ever do something like that without a good reason for it, then you probably don't know enough about this subject to even be arguing about it.

It's happened before in digital book distribution.

Here's another example that happened to a friend. He buys music on iTunes for his iPhone. A firmware update bricks his iPhone. He has to bring it to a reputable Apple location for them to fix it. Oh! All his music is gone. When he tries downloading it again, he is not allowed. Why? He should have backed it up! Never mind that in attempting to back it up, he had to do a mandatory firmware update through iTunes on his computer, which then bricked his phone. He is out however much he paid for that music, and no longer has any right to that music.
Just because it doesn't happen on a regular basis doesn't mean it won't ever happen / can't happen, what have you.
I also know that in the TOS for Playstation Network, it straight up says you can be banned for any or no reason, thus losing access to any digital content.

I'll say it again: Just because it doesn't happen on a regular basis doesn't mean it won't ever happen / can't happen.

And I am a guy that has bought quite a lot of content from PSN.
I have bought much less from Nintendo, only 'cause I want to be able to use it later on someone else's system if I should so desire. I still have Denpamen, Crimson Shroud, and I'm sure several other games, 'cause I like those games and can play them on my system. Right now, however, I don't have my system, and can't play. I can play my physical copy of Luigi's Mansion on my brother's 3DSXL, I can play my digital copy of Soul Sacrifice on my brother's Vita (if I do that revert to factory thing, if we had a different PSN).

TL;DR What I and everyone else are saying is that Nintendo's digital presence is FAR less than ideal at this point. That is something that cannot be argued, if only by comparing it to other services.
I'll keep buying the games I want physically when I can, and digitally when I can't on my 3DS, thanks.

That iPhone example is a crock. You get 5 devices that can use your iTunes account. I bought an iPod 7 years ago, junked it 5 years ago when it broke, then got an iPhone 5 two months ago and guess what? I still had access to all my purchases and they are on my new phone now. Quit lying about this stuff to suit your needs. Oh, and unlike Sony, Apple is actually smart enough to let you deactivate individual devices online. I deactivated my old iPod, laptop and desktop and activated my iPhone, wife's laptop and my new desktop, all these things haven't purchases.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#44TinyTim123Posted 5/15/2013 12:47:35 AM(edited)
n00bsaib0t posted...
That iPhone example is a crock. You get 5 devices that can use your iTunes account. I bought an iPod 7 years ago, junked it 5 years ago when it broke, then got an iPhone 5 two months ago and guess what? I still had access to all my purchases and they are on my new phone now. Quit lying about this stuff to suit your needs. Oh, and unlike Sony, Apple is actually smart enough to let you deactivate individual devices online. I deactivated my old iPod, laptop and desktop and activated my iPhone, wife's laptop and my new desktop, all these things haven't purchases.

Glad you think it's a crock, but it still happened. I don't know why it happened, but it did. No lying here, unless the person to whom Ernie spoke with at Apple was lying.
Edit: He did buy everything directly on his iPhone, not through iTunes on his computer. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, or if that's how you bought your iTunes music or not. All I know is that Ernie was pissed.
Further Edit: He may not actually have had an iTunes account. He figured since it was on his phone, it was safe, and hadn't had iTunes on his computer before that. He may have tried making an account on the computer when his phone got bricked; regardless, he was out all the purchases made on his phone.
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#45darkus_fPosted 5/15/2013 1:00:32 AM
n00bsaib0t posted...

Oh, and unlike Sony, Apple is actually smart enough to let you deactivate individual devices online.

Out of your ass much? I deactivated a Ps3 I sold a year ago online last month. If anyone is lying, it's you.

Kill_Jill_Vol_1 posted...
I'm talking from actual personal experience here. Their policy is not to reimburse or replace digital games you bought on the eShop in the incident you lose or even sell your 3ds without transferring to a new one. I gave them my credit card info and named all the games I bought to prove I purchased them and the only thing they could offer was a discounted digital download of a select few first party titles. A real ******* joke if you ask me. They are handling the DD very poorly. There is no freaking excuse whatsoever. Maybe a lucky few here have had better luck with more generous customer service reps who were willing to bend the rules but their policies on reimbursement are cut and clear. You can keep rambling about personal responsibility all you want but don't forget its a two way street. I don't see them taking any precautionary measures to protect their loyal customers via an account system. You know, that basic thing everyone else has in case of times like these.

This unfortunately. Nintendo should just avoid all the inconvenience and implement an account system already. Kinda ridiculous how some actually defend the current system. >.>
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 PSN: darkus_f
PWB F5: Punk, Dolph, Cesaro, Reigns, Mark
#46darkness1018Posted 5/15/2013 1:04:54 AM
Some people just refuse to admit that when you buy anything digital its NEVER FULLY YOURS. When you buy physical its your until it breaks, fails or whatever. For example anyone who ever got DLC for the Xbox 1, if they dont have it stored on a memory card when their system breaks, they will lose it FOREVER, can never get it back again since that online service is no longer running.
---
PSN: nightwing2099 (PS3 & PS Vita)
GT: Gambit1018
#47TinyTim123Posted 5/15/2013 1:05:33 AM
darkus_f posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

Oh, and unlike Sony, Apple is actually smart enough to let you deactivate individual devices online.

Out of your ass much? I deactivated a Ps3 I sold a year ago online last month. If anyone is lying, it's you.

Yeah, but on the Sony site, don't you have to deactivate all devices in one fell swoop? I think he means that Apple lets one deactivate only one device. I wouldn't know, I avoid iTunes. It doesn't play nice with my computers, and my individual iPods are not of the touch variety to need deactivating. (I guess? I have nothing iTunes purchased, I used winamp to transfer my CDs.)
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#48OoSubaruoOPosted 5/15/2013 1:06:42 AM
They do have an account system though, it's just not implemented well at the moment. So far, it's only on the Wii U. We might see it on the 3DS soon though.
#49n00bsaib0tPosted 5/15/2013 3:57:24 AM
TinyTim123 posted...
darkus_f posted...
n00bsaib0t posted...

Yeah, but on the Sony site, don't you have to deactivate all devices in one fell swoop? I think he means that Apple lets one deactivate only one device. I wouldn't know, I avoid iTunes. It doesn't play nice with my computers, and my individual iPods are not of the touch variety to need deactivating. (I guess? I have nothing iTunes purchased, I used winamp to transfer my CDs.)

Exactly. As for your friend, maybe old iPhones let you purchase without an account, but the iPhone 5 doesn't. The 5 is my first iPhone, so it never occurred to me you might be able to purchase without an account. My bad.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile