So Nintendo isn't removing videos

#1Marcster1994Posted 5/15/2013 8:10:41 PM(edited)
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=202693

They're just putting ads on them. We don't exactly know if this means LP videos or just random trailer footage all together. This might shun LPers even more away from Nintendo games.
---
3DS FC: 4725-7947-0440 ~ NNID: MarcsterS
PSN: Marcster1994 ~ Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/EnglishLanguage/
#2ssjlinkxPosted 5/15/2013 9:09:23 PM
Its ahrd know what Ninty is trying to do. I have Lets Plays and Longplays are youtube, mostly Nintendo, and haven't seen a claim. But big people like JoshJepson and Chuggaa have been claimed. I think its the bots overreaching the id system. Nintendo has proven itself to suuport Lets Plays in the past most evident here: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2011/Create-your-own-Let-s-Play-video-contest-launches-for-Xenoblade-Chronicles-252839.html

Plus with PS4 supporting livestreaming and direct youtube upload it would be coutnerproductive for Nintendo do this when it is something embraced by their competition
---
3DS FC: 2234-7659-6680
Don't feel like playing your games? Watch me play instead! http://www.youtube.com/user/jargus0
#3UponADarkThornePosted 5/15/2013 9:42:54 PM
Could someone explain to me why this is bad? If you don't have some form of ad-blocker, almost every video has an ad. At least this time, they'll make sense - Nintendo ads for Nintendo videos. It's not like watching a Lowkey or Crass video during the 2012 election and seeing Obama campaign ads.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#4ssjlinkxPosted 5/15/2013 11:16:12 PM
UponADarkThorne posted...
Could someone explain to me why this is bad? If you don't have some form of ad-blocker, almost every video has an ad. At least this time, they'll make sense - Nintendo ads for Nintendo videos. It's not like watching a Lowkey or Crass video during the 2012 election and seeing Obama campaign ads.

The problem is Lets Play/commentary type videos are generally considered Fair Use and Nintendo has previously shown public support for it. Thers some people who have made it their fulltime profession to make video about Nintendo games and get the ad revenue. What is happening here is that the CID system is saying that only Nintendo can make money off the ads the person who created the video gets no compensation for their work. For the people who depend on that income for their livelihood, this is a huge dick move on Nintendo's part.
---
3DS FC: 2234-7659-6680
Don't feel like playing your games? Watch me play instead! http://www.youtube.com/user/jargus0
#5KittenLinaPosted 5/15/2013 11:28:47 PM
Especially when Nintendo makes it SO HARD to actually record anything with their systems.
---
It's not you liking a game, it's you thinking it's so mainstream everyone played it.
Official Succubus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#6wentzelotPosted 5/16/2013 12:10:04 AM
those people should get real jobs anyway. they should be happy they get any extra money for doing videos at all
#7UponADarkThornePosted 5/16/2013 12:59:03 AM
ssjlinkx posted...

The problem is Lets Play/commentary type videos are generally considered Fair Use and Nintendo has previously shown public support for it. Thers some people who have made it their fulltime profession to make video about Nintendo games and get the ad revenue. What is happening here is that the CID system is saying that only Nintendo can make money off the ads the person who created the video gets no compensation for their work. For the people who depend on that income for their livelihood, this is a huge dick move on Nintendo's part.

At risk of sounding like a dick...

If you're making enough money that the only thing you need to do is play video games and edit videos, you should be paying royalties to the company whose IP you're using. If you were doing anything else entertainment related, you'd already be doing it or you'd be facing a hell of a lawsuit. Let's Plays should be a hobby, anyway, not a damn job.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#8n00bsaib0tPosted 5/16/2013 1:08:04 AM
ssjlinkx posted...

At risk of sounding like a dick...

If you're making enough money that the only thing you need to do is play video games and edit videos, you should be paying royalties to the company whose IP you're using. If you were doing anything else entertainment related, you'd already be doing it or you'd be facing a hell of a lawsuit. Let's Plays should be a hobby, anyway, not a damn job.

How dare you use common sense on GameFAQs.

But yeah, it's illegal as hell to make money off of someone else's IP without paying royalties. Some of these guys use other people's music too, which is also illegal to make money off of without paying royalties. These guys aren't making money off of their own hard work, they are making money having fun with someone else's hard work.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#9HurricaneManningPosted 5/16/2013 1:38:07 AM
I get the idea of cutting Nintendo or whoever in on ad revenue.

I do not get the hate for people who make enough from their YouTube channels to have it be a full time job. It just screams jealousy that someone else is able to do that and you are pissed that you can't.

I find it downright hilarious though that Nintendo a few months ago tweeted and promoted on their official facebook page a 25 minute video of some guys playing NSMB2 coin rush against each other basically and now all of a sudden that same channel is getting hit with this stuff.
---
Suck for Luck watch: SUCCESS
BOILER UP!
#10VyersPosted 5/16/2013 1:53:58 AM
I'm never a big fan of saying people are mad at LPers because of jealousy, but man, y'all are pretty jealous.

"They shouldn't be making money off of this". Why? Scientifically-speaking, they should. They go through the motions that result in their editing and uploading and character establishment and channel management earning them money.

"Let's Plays should be a hobby". Why? Why should someone work and do LPs at the same time? A film critic will sometimes do it only because he or she loves the job. Roger Ebert was well-off because he got money for telling people what he thought of things. He seemed pretty into it, almost as though it was his hobby. Conversely, a fan of an LPer supports that LPer because the fan enjoys the commentary, the humour, the skill (or lack thereof), etc. Hell, I supported LPs a lot initially because they helped me recapture the feeling of "oh my god" in games with surprise plot twists, such as Portal and The Walking Dead. That's a service.

And we also need to realize that posting videos of gameplay is different than posting a movie or posting a song. When I watch a movie without purchasing it, or if I listen to a song without purchasing it, I am less likely to want to do so. If I watch a game without purchasing it, there is virtually nothing to dissuade me from wanting to purchase it, beyond sheer mediocrity of the game (which I am fully entitled to verify).
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!