Professor Layton vs Zero Hour

#1joeman2004Posted 5/16/2013 7:44:38 AM(edited)
I'm debating which one I should get. I love the art style of the Layton games, but I hear Zero Escape has an incredible story. Which one would you guys suggest and why?
#2rupok93Posted 5/16/2013 7:43:38 AM
Zero hour? What game is that?
#3joeman2004(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 7:45:17 AM
My mistake, I meant Zero Escape.
#4nintendoggerPosted 5/16/2013 7:45:55 AM
rupok93 posted...
Zero hour? What game is that?

I believe he is referring to Zero Escape.

TC, are you aware that both of these games are sequels? In fact, there are four other Professor Layton games. (all of those are on the DS).

Zero Escape is the sequel to 999. which is an amazing DS game that you can find online for like 20$. I'd suggest that first and then Zero Escape (assuming you like 999).
---
AEPhi Sister.
Currently playing: Harvest Moon a New Beginning and The Legend of the River King.
#5joeman2004(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 7:49:27 AM
Are they direct sequels? Or can they be played/understood on their own?
#6rupok93Posted 5/16/2013 7:49:36 AM
Play 999 first before playing zero escape.

As for both games i haven't played them but I played 999 so choosing between the two I would go for zero escape.

I never could get into the layton games, the puzzles annoyed me.
#7nintendoggerPosted 5/16/2013 7:51:12 AM
joeman2004 posted...
Are they direct sequels? Or can they be played/understood on their own?

Unfortunately all of them are direct sequels (in a way). I'm sure you could manage on your own, but what fun is that? They are well worth it. :)

I wrote a post recently about the Layton timeline, let me find it for you.
---
AEPhi Sister.
Currently playing: Harvest Moon a New Beginning and The Legend of the River King.
#8nintendoggerPosted 5/16/2013 7:52:50 AM
Here is the order the Layton timeline follows

First Trilogy~ (calling it a trilogy even though it is 4 plot lines)
PL:And the Last Specter
PL:And the Eternal Diva (movie)
PL: And the Mask of Miracles
PL: And the Azran Legacy (2014)

Second Trilogy~
PL:And the Curious Village
PL: And the Diabolical Box
PL: And the Unwound Future

There is rumored to be another movie and third trilogy coming out as well. Additionally, there is the PL v AA crossover game.

Here is the RELEASE order, and the order many fans believe it should be played in.
---
AEPhi Sister.
#9MottmanPosted 5/16/2013 7:59:48 AM
nintendogger posted...
Here is the order the Layton timeline follows

First Trilogy~ (calling it a trilogy even though it is 4 plot lines)

Second Trilogy~

There is rumored to be another movie and third trilogy coming out as well. Additionally, there is the PL v AA crossover game.

Here is the RELEASE order, and the order many fans believe it should be played in.

A very informative explanation. Good job.

Count me among those who believe that ideally the Layton games should be played in the release order. The prequels tend to have the occasional nod to the original trilogy that you don't really "get" unless you play them in release order.

That said, the only way you can really mess up your enjoyment of any of the games is if you play Diabolical Box and/or Unwound Future before Curious Village. You basically spoil at least two huge plot points in CV if you play it after those two. The rest can probably be played in any order if you're not as hung up on the "ideal" playing order as I am. ;-)
---
"If a beautiful woman with a big chest is in trouble, save them even if it means your life."
- Shing Meteoryte, Tales of Hearts
#10nintendoggerPosted 5/16/2013 11:37:11 AM
Thanks Mott, and I agree with you. At the minimum if you plan on playing them all, I would suggest at least playing the second trilogy in the release order, because it can definitely mess with the plot line.

As for Zero Escape and 999, parts of ZE DO spoil plot parts in 999. 999 is a fantastic game, and if you are hell bent on only getting one, I'm sure that you can successfully play through ZE without having done 999. That said, there is a strong chance that you'll regret it, because playing 999 second will be less enjoyable.

Also, itsy bitsy spoiler I guess
ZE ends on a cliffhanger, preparing the series for the next game.
---
AEPhi Sister.