Why doesn't Nintendo support most of their games after launch?

#21ORANGE666Posted 5/16/2013 2:16:17 PM
Games are MSRP at $40 for handhelds and $60 for console games.

If you remove DLC, developers would simply cut the budget and/or content in games to make up for the money lost. We have developers making games that cost 2 million to develop and some developers making games that cost 30 million to develop and both sell at the same price. One of those developers is making significantly more money at 100k sales.

The problem comes down to the consumer who will buy games without ever thinking how much they should be worth. A game like Rune Factory should be $20 or less, Resident Evil should be $40-$50.

I was appalled at this board when people bashed Capcom for being "greedy" for wanting to charge $50 for Resident Evil. How are they being greedy when the game costs so much to develop? It also uses an 8gb card which Nintendo will hang them out to dry on media licensing for it.

If you want high budget games on the 3DS, you're all going to have to accept DLC. If not, enjoy your PSP level games because no developer is going to take a chance on a big game if they don't see room to sell DLC.
#22n00bsaib0tPosted 5/16/2013 2:17:46 PM
HiddenDoorway posted...
ITT: People who have no idea what they are talking about.

Do you know WHY a lot of companies have been making DLC? Because games are cheaper now than they ever have been, yet production costs keep going up. Money has become far less valuable since the 80s. If you factor in inflation, the original Legend of Zelda on the NES would have cost about $~120. Now games cost at most half of that, but they probably cost at least five times as much to make.

And then you really wonder why companies try to find more ways to gain money off of a product? The cancer is not DLC, it's that people don't understand how cheap games are these days.

Remember when we bought SF2, SF2 Turbo and Super SF2 for $80 a pop and liked it? I think it's funny how it was $60 for SF4, $40 for Super and $15 for Arcade Edition and people say they're price gouging, withholding content, charging too much, etc.
---
PSN/XBL- Nifterific
SSF4AE: Balrog, Evil Ryu | UMvC3: C.Viper/Morrigan/Hulk | MK9: Noob Saibot, Cyber Sub-Zero | SFxTK: Ryu/Guile
#23Kira_Elric2Posted 5/16/2013 2:22:32 PM
You know, there are such things as good DLC, like most of the DLC for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Mass Effect 2's DLC was for the most part good, and some even free if you bought new. I look at DLC, when done good, as a way for content cut from a game due to time constraints to be eventually given to us. All games, through all of time, have had content cut from them at one point or another. Nowadays people see that cut content being added as DLC and claiming they cut it for the express purpose of selling for extra money. Do you really feel that now Fire Emblem: Awakening is incomplete because of all the extra DLC that has nothing to do with the story exists? Don't kid yourselves and think that any of that content would be in the game if they decided against DLC. And Frankly, I think Nintendo, at least with Fire Emblem, is doing a good job with it, with some Free and some paid DLC.
#24TommyD758Posted 5/16/2013 3:32:38 PM
Considering how overpriced their Fire Emblem DLC I hope they only just patch their games. I don't mind paying for more content but they seriously have issues pricing their DLC.
#25dizanimatorPosted 5/16/2013 3:39:54 PM
ORANGE666 posted...

I was appalled at this board when people bashed Capcom for being "greedy" for wanting to charge $50 for Resident Evil. How are they being greedy when the game costs so much to develop? It also uses an 8gb card which Nintendo will hang them out to dry on media licensing for it.

Resident Evil Revelaitons was not on an 8GB cart, it's on a 4GB card. I understand wanting to charge more for a game that costs more to develop, but I don't want to pay extra for a game when the publishers can't even remember to run spell check on the packaging.
#26tallgeeseIVPosted 5/16/2013 4:38:51 PM
Kira_Elric2 posted...
You know, there are such things as good DLC, like most of the DLC for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Mass Effect 2's DLC was for the most part good, and some even free if you bought new. I look at DLC, when done good, as a way for content cut from a game due to time constraints to be eventually given to us. All games, through all of time, have had content cut from them at one point or another. Nowadays people see that cut content being added as DLC and claiming they cut it for the express purpose of selling for extra money. Do you really feel that now Fire Emblem: Awakening is incomplete because of all the extra DLC that has nothing to do with the story exists? Don't kid yourselves and think that any of that content would be in the game if they decided against DLC. And Frankly, I think Nintendo, at least with Fire Emblem, is doing a good job with it, with some Free and some paid DLC.

It is really an issue that for every company that does legitimate good DLC, there are like several that just go with gouged content.
After that it is just easier for most people to generalize all DLC as being the second type rather than look at each game individually.
---
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/9742/fodderkg8.png
-_-'
#27CompassPosted 5/16/2013 4:40:23 PM
n00bsaib0t posted...
Lots of sad butthurt kids in this topic. One day you'll be able to afford DLC, and when you can you'll see that not all DLC is kept from you to sell later. Even on disc DLC isn't always content removed from the main game. SFxTK is a great example. It has far to much DLC, but none if it was removed to sell later, it was all made to be DLC and you didn't get less content than a normal Capcom fighter that lacks DLC. People still love to pretend that Capcom lied to them and that there was at one point a 55 character game and that characters were cut.

lol. I definitely see someone sad and butthurt. The dude confronted with the reality there exist people in the world with spines, who recognize scammy gouging when they see it, and have the backbone to not support it rather than frantically defend it to make themselves feel better about being weak.

That's gotta be a harsh wake-up call for ya, bro.
#28StarmanJuniorPosted 5/16/2013 5:41:21 PM
DLC is okay, as long as it's not DLC for the sake of having DLC, then making people pay money a la NSMB2's coin rush packages, which turned the game from an already way-too-high price to an even higher price.
---
Inside the mailbox was nothing. Nothing after nothing came pouring out.
#29KittenLinaPosted 5/16/2013 5:49:30 PM
DLC is GREAT if it's done without hurting the game.

If you go "Oh, I have an idea for my game!" Such as adding old Disgaea characters to new ones a few months after production, or adding outfits for the MC in Gravity Rush, those are cool DLC's that are welcomed by fans of the games that want more.

If you do something like Dead Space 3, you never deserve to sell a new game as long as you live.

Alternatively, doing something like Dead Island and Dragon's Dogma, turning what should be DLC into an expensive new game, is also equally as bad.
---
It's not you liking a game, it's you thinking it's so mainstream everyone played it.
Official Succubus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#30HiddenDoorwayPosted 5/16/2013 6:31:29 PM
lol. I definitely see someone sad and butthurt. The dude confronted with the reality there exist people in the world with spines, who recognize scammy gouging when they see it, and have the backbone to not support it rather than frantically defend it to make themselves feel better about being weak.

That's gotta be a harsh wake-up call for ya, bro.

I guess, if by having spines you mean people who have no idea how economics. And by scammy gouging you mean publishers and developers trying to find ways to make more money, since games are actually cheaper than ever before while costing more than ever before to make. And by having backbone, you mean not being very intelligent because they know nothing about what they are even arguing, yet they argue anyway.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4i8uuK8pT1qehcb3o1_500.png