DKC Returns 3D- Polygons and other Visual Questions and Thoughts

#11Abiz_Posted 5/16/2013 7:05:32 PM
Could just be a simple . Oops our textures guy messed up. Happens sometimes even in big games.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#12grans(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 7:07:50 PM
Could just be a simple . Oops our textures guy messed up. Happens sometimes even in big games.

That's possible. Though if so, I wonder whether they fixed it. That was from earlier footage. Doubt it though. Pretty big oops though, especially as that part was showcased in the very first trailer and you get a really good look at it.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#13Rurouni720Posted 5/16/2013 7:14:02 PM
Either way i'm still pissed off with how Monster-whatever had to go out halved the framerate from the original (since Retro studios usually like to make their games run at 60FPS). It screams sloppy with their work and i was looking forward to playing DKCR on a portable system than a console intact with better controls.

But nope, doing the 3DS's hardware injustice is just such an easy way out among developers not named Capcom and such.....-_-
#14grans(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 7:23:46 PM(edited)
Either way i'm still pissed off with how Monster-whatever had to go out halved the framerate from the original (since Retro studios usually like to make their games run at 60FPS). It screams sloppy with their work and i was looking forward to playing DKCR on a portable system than a console intact with better controls.

But nope, doing the 3DS's hardware injustice is just such an easy way out among developers not named Capcom and such.....-_-

Agreed. Though at this point not really surprising I guess. Sub par ports of Nintendo games to handhelds have been a tradition for a long time now. Not just Nintendo games either. Even when the hardware in question is on par if not far more powerful, they're not safe from shoddy porting. Though Nintendo games have been stuck with that stigma even since the GBA, which despite being immensely more powerful than SNES or Genesis, was a constant dumping ground for lazy and inferior ports from those systems (even the first party Mario Advance series weren't exempt from shoddy porting or especially Rare's own DKC trilogy).

There's always those select few developers that basically say to the rest- "look dumbasses, here's how you do this". Developers like Factor 5/Retro/Rareware with both N64 and Gamecube, Treasure with many of the systems they work on (Genesis, GBA, etc), and now Capcom with the 3DS (and Shin'en in ways as well).

But we've always got the exclusives to love when the ports get you down. I just wish Retro HAD worked on this port. Dunno how well they'd do with a lower budget handheld port, but i'm going to assume better than what we've got now (i'm betting they'd aim at 60fps or nothing at the very least).
---
-Granville
#15grans(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 8:33:36 PM
Bump.
---
-Granville
#16OoSubaruoOPosted 5/16/2013 8:48:33 PM
Rurouni720 posted...

Does it really matter either way? The game is going to be amazing, I honestly doubt 30 FPS will seriously make you not buy it.
#17grans(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 9:14:38 PM(edited)
Does it really matter either way? The game is going to be amazing, I honestly doubt 30 FPS will seriously make you not buy it.

I can't speak for him, but I think it's fair to take issues like that into account when we're talking about buying a port, at least on a system that is capable of doing a lot better. DKC Returns is an awesome game, and for people who either can't or won't alter their Wii's software to allow them to map the shake mechanic to a button and/or just want a still fun portable version (with 3D), then it's probably worth getting.

But regardless, it is a bit unfortunate that the developers can get away with doing this. I'm not really blaming anyone who will buy this port, and no offense if you aren't bothered by these issues, but i'd probably at least want to alert people to the issues and let them decide whether it is important to them. I will concede that this port could have gone far worse. Whether the DKC trilogy on GBA, Sonic Genesis on GBA, Snake Eater 3D, Splinter Cell 3D, etc. Things could REALLY have gone a lot worse here. This port seems not unlike the porting quality that went into the Mario Advance series (particularly Yoshi's Island with its graphical cutbacks), and a lot of other average GBA ports.

I will say that to me at least, a smooth framerate in a game is pretty important. And while 30fps isn't choppy by any means, it's not 60fps and isn't up to scratch with Retro's standard. Games just feel best when they're 60fps. Sorry if that makes it sound like i'm whining, but I value games running as smoothly as possible (it's the one example of a graphical element that I personally think makes a game better to play from a gameplay perspective).
---
-Granville
#18Rurouni720Posted 5/16/2013 9:11:35 PM
grans posted...

I can't speak for him, but I think it's fair to take issues like that into account when we're talking about buying a port, at least on a system that is capable of doing a lot better. DKC Returns is an awesome game, and for people who either can't or won't alter their Wii's software to allow them to map the shake mechanic to a button and/or just want a still fun portable version (with 3D), then it's probably worth getting.

But regardless, it is a bit unfortunate that the developers can get away with doing this. I'm not really blaming anyone who will buy this port, and no offense if you aren't bothered by these issues, but i'd probably at least want to alert people to the issues and let them decide whether it is important to them. I will concede that this port could have gone far worse. Whether the DKC trilogy on GBA, Sonic Genesis on GBA, Snake Eater 3D, Splinter Cell 3D, etc. Things could REALLY have gone a lot worse here. This port seems not unlike the porting quality that went into the Mario Advance series (particularly Yoshi's Island with its graphical cutbacks), and a lot of other average GBA ports.

This.

Unfortunately Grans, i don't think you'll get a concrete answer until DCKR3D releases next week where more people can get their hands on it.

I mean i'll still probably get it since i never owned the original, but it's just so disappointing that's all.....since i really expected the port to remain intact with some lightning enhancements from here and there. Especially given where Capcom were able to pull it off with MH3U on the 3DS very well, even with a better framerate & shadows (including in cutscenes too!) with 3D on. But when it comes to outsourcing it's not surprising i suppose, since Capcom themselves ported Tri to the 3DS and claimed from themselves that it was relatively easy when they were trying to test the 3DS's hardware.

Oh well.....
#19OoSubaruoOPosted 5/16/2013 9:14:21 PM
People who planned on buying this game, most likely already knew it would be 30 FPS from searching on Google. We're finally getting Donkey Kong on the 3DS, and I'd say the new additions on this version compared to the Wii makes this game worth getting.
#20grans(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2013 9:20:02 PM(edited)
People who planned on buying this game, most likely already knew it would be 30 FPS from searching on Google. We're finally getting Donkey Kong on the 3DS, and I'd say the new additions on this version compared to the Wii makes this game worth getting.

I assumed this port was going to run at 60fps until I heard Retro wasn't the one making it. After that I lost most hope about it, but still wasn't sure until we heard confirmation that it was indeed 30.

The new levels certainly make this port's appeal go up, i'll certainly give it that. Though hopefully Monster Games can design levels as well as Retro did, they have a lot to live up to. DKC3 on GBA also had an extra world over the SNES version but the level designs weren't that great and it didn't make up for the downgrades elsewhere (Returns 3D though doesn't look like nearly as bad of a port as any of the DKC GBA games).
---
-Granville