Should I try out Fire Emblem Awakening?

#41guedesbrawlPosted 5/18/2013 3:54:56 PM
Try the demo, it's simple.

I agree that awakening is unbalanced, but you can simply chose not to use. It's VERY flexible. A no-grind/no pair-up run solves most of this game's balance problems. Some games like Pokemon ban things, so why can't you do runs excluding some options? nobody's forcing anyone to grind. And that's why it's good: You can make your own difficulty.

And archers did get a good buff in Galeforce supporters: You get a kill and all of the enemy phase problems are solved if you are the support. They don't have the BEST pair-up bonuses, but the class bonuses are just 30% of the bonus. I honestly never saw them as anything more than "somewhat hard to train in the earlygame", but...
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#42WestbrickVIIPosted 5/18/2013 4:14:06 PM
ThatKipp posted...
You forgot Armsthrift and Galeforce.

I'd actually consider both skills rather poor due to their limited availability during the main campaign, but I'm in the minority on that one.

Super Slash posted...
If you actually read his review, you'd see he's not trolling.

I wouldn't bother. If he'd actually read the review, he wouldn't be posting the way he is anyway. He's just regurgitating old cliches.

guedesbrawl posted...
A no-grind/no pair-up run solves most of this game's balance problems.

No-grind doesn't balance the game much (Nosferatu, Sol, Veteran, etc. still exist), and I'm not sure Lunatic is possible without Pair Up.

And archers did get a good buff in Galeforce supporters: You get a kill and all of the enemy phase problems are solved if you are the support.

1. Few, if any, units will be sporting Galeforce during the main campaign.
2. What can archers do as support units that other classes can't?
#43SigmaHacielPosted 5/18/2013 4:15:04 PM
guedesbrawl posted...

I agree that awakening is unbalanced, but you can simply chose not to use. It's VERY flexible. A no-grind/no pair-up run solves most of this game's balance problems. Some games like Pokemon ban things, so why can't you do runs excluding some options? nobody's forcing anyone to grind. And that's why it's good: You can make your own difficulty.

And archers did get a good buff in Galeforce supporters: You get a kill and all of the enemy phase problems are solved if you are the support. They don't have the BEST pair-up bonuses, but the class bonuses are just 30% of the bonus. I honestly never saw them as anything more than "somewhat hard to train in the earlygame", but...

Choosing not to do something in order to "fix" a problem with the game is nowhere near equal to Nintendo banning things from online play in Pokemon.

At all.

How the hell did you even correlate that? The former is absolute horse ****. If the game is so messed up that the player has to GIMP themselves in order to fix it, the game is broken. Without contest.
---
Don't like my opinion? Gosick. There is a reason it is MY opinion and not yours.
#44wentzelotPosted 5/18/2013 4:34:59 PM
SigmaHaciel posted...
guedesbrawl posted...

Choosing not to do something in order to "fix" a problem with the game is nowhere near equal to Nintendo banning things from online play in Pokemon.

At all.

How the hell did you even correlate that? The former is absolute horse ****. If the game is so messed up that the player has to GIMP themselves in order to fix it, the game is broken. Without contest.

choosing not to grind is not gimping .. grinding is available in almost every game. how are people so dense? so according to your logic chrono trigger is broken because you have the option of fighting tons of unnecessary mobs and over leveling from the start of the game thus ruining the whole balance? and contra is unbalanced because you have the option of putting in the contra code at the start of the game making death not an issue.. i mean the developers put that in the game for a reason.. choosing not to do it = gimping yourself = the game is broken.. without contest
#45wentzelotPosted 5/18/2013 4:36:28 PM
guedesbrawl posted...

nobody's forcing anyone to grind. And that's why it's good: You can make your own difficulty.

well said
#46WestbrickVIIPosted 5/18/2013 4:40:20 PM
wentzelot posted...
choosing not to grind is not gimping .. grinding is available in almost every game. how are people so dense?

I'm choking on all the unintentional irony here.

No one is arguing that Awakening is imbalanced only because of grinding, though it certainly doesn't help. Awakening is imbalanced because of the hilarious number of broken classes, skills, and exploits that make even the hardest difficulties trivially easy to complete. The gulf between the numerous dominant strategies and worthless classes like archers also doesn't help much.
#47guedesbrawlPosted 5/18/2013 5:09:48 PM
West:

1- Nosferatu won't be good enough for abuse if your Dark Mages also aren't good, and they won't be good enough in a no-grind run.

2- Sol will come too late, your damage output will be too meh for it to change much, and you skill won't be high enough.

3- Veteran is a wasted slot in a no pair-up run...

4- when did someone say lunatic?

5- The last part was meant in a "min-max scenario". You can get more than 15 galeforce users, most being kids

6- I didn't say they were the absolute best supports, just that they can do the job. Skills are more important than the Class, and lastly, what classes give "unique" things worth mentioning?

to Sigma

What i meant, is that where there is not balance, there are restrictions. If they are forced or self-imposed, that's another thing, but it's the same principle.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#48WestbrickVIIPosted 5/18/2013 5:38:48 PM
guedesbrawl posted...
1- Nosferatu won't be good enough for abuse if your Dark Mages also aren't good,

This is correct. Thankfully, Sorcerer!MU is far and away the best unit in the game and Sorcerer!Tharja is top five. No grinding is required -- you can complete Lunatic in under an hour with Nosferatanking.

2- Sol will come too late,

Gregor gets Sol in five levels' time. MU, if he / she is made into a hero, gets it in a timely fashion as well.

3- Veteran is a wasted slot in a no pair-up run...

I was referring to no-grind, not no-pair up, in the context of Veteran. Lunatic is likely impossible without pair up, so it's a silly restriction.

4- when did someone say lunatic?

Hard, even with plentiful restrictions, is still far too easy to be satisfying. I've already listed about a half-dozen game breaking strategies, and there are plenty more.

6- I didn't say they were the absolute best supports, just that they can do the job.

So they're nothing special as support partners and atrocious as offensive units. They clearly have only gotten worse from their ballista / 1-2 range days.
#49overmaxxPosted 5/18/2013 5:40:40 PM
Yes it's unbalanced.

No it doesn't make it a bad game.

Yes you should try it.

Just go Hard/Classic or Hard/Casual and don't buy ANY DLC before your second playthrough, never touch Lunatic or (god forbid) Lunatic+.
#50LyonDRCPosted 5/18/2013 5:43:57 PM
I've been a fan of the series since the GBA games came out and I've loved each game (except for Shadow Dragon, I liked the game but didn't loved it) and this is no exception, but I do think this game is really overrated. Nevertheless, I do think it's worth the 40$.
---
PSN Account: LyonDRC
Nintendo 3DS: 2664 - 3546 - 4823