Violent Video Game Tax Proposal

#1MarblesbunbunPosted 5/18/2013 12:07:43 AM
Biden feels there is no legal reason as to why the government cannot put a tax on violent video games or any other form of violent media.

At a gun legislation strategy meeting held at the White House recently, United States Vice President Joe Biden suggested there would be "no legal reason" why taxing violent media, including video games, would be an issue. This taxing of any kind of "violent images" could, of course, extend to film and television, as well.

The Vice President's declaration came in response to a suggestion made by Reverend Franklin Graham, who attended the meeting alongside 19 other religious leaders. According to Politico.com, attendees at the meeting said that Biden responded favourably to the Reverend's idea, going so far as to say there would be “no restriction on the ability to do that, there’s no legal reason why they couldn't."

It was suggested by Graham that proceeds of the tax would go towards victims of gun violence and their families, according to the website's sources.

As Geek.com correctly notes, this sort of concern is nothing new. The Obama Administration has funded research into the effects of violent video games on young people following the Sandy Hook tragedy, and is a common theme in the wake of any major national tragedy. At this point there's no indication that Graham's suggestion will come to fruition, with Vice President Biden eventually concluding that a study should be made on the effects violent video games have on developing brains.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/15/joe-biden-sees-no-legal-problem-with-taxing-violent-video-games

This.. is just going to far.
Here is MY personal retort
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K-U-J850Po&feature=youtu.be
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#2Binba442Posted 5/18/2013 12:15:28 AM
Or, y'know, have more gun control, that works too.
#3chestershadowPosted 5/18/2013 12:19:26 AM
Binba442 posted...
Or, y'know, have more gun control, that works too.

Yes, lets instigate a pointless political debate that isn't even allowed in the tos of the site to begin with... /sarcasm
#4Raven236Posted 5/18/2013 12:24:22 AM
I say its the fault of the parent for caving in and buying the Violent games for kids.
When they are below the age limit....
---
PSN ID: Raven236 / N3DS FC: 1590-4697-4287
SSFIV Main: Sakura
#5Marblesbunbun(Topic Creator)Posted 5/18/2013 12:28:19 AM
Raven236 posted...
I say its the fault of the parent for caving in and buying the Violent games for kids.
When they are below the age limit....

Honestly the ESRB is a guideline and some children are more mature then others.
I've been playing games all my life, I was in my teens when MK1 and 2, Doom 1 and 2 were released and I got all and played them all no problem since I know the difference between fantasy and reality.
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#6RX02BansheePosted 5/18/2013 12:39:55 AM
I wonder when the day will come that people pick up the next scapegoat to replace gaming.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't started on social media instead. Social media, speaking from experience, can be soul destroying (being sent in to a massive depression = not very fun). If anything I would say social media and the enhanced ways of bullying it allows is far far more toxic to our society than any video game.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
Current Location: In your nightmares with a knife and a gun and a chilling wail
#7Raven236Posted 5/18/2013 12:41:48 AM
RX02Banshee posted...
I wonder when the day will come that people pick up the next scapegoat to replace gaming.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't started on social media instead. Social media, speaking from experience, can be soul destroying (being sent in to a massive depression = not very fun). If anything I would say social media and the enhanced ways of bullying it allows is far far more toxic to our society than any video game.

Stuff like Facebook and Youtube?

You have a point....
---
#8TinyTim123Posted 5/18/2013 12:52:57 AM
My problem with this is who exactly determines if a game is violent?
Will Animal Crossing get the tax? You can hit neighbors in the head with a net, that's violent!
I mean, in that case, pretty much the only games to escape this tax would be like Cooking Mama... oh wait, you use a knife to cut up vegetables, never mind...
Tetris and pure puzzle games like that. Maybe Dance Dance Revolution style games. Rock Band? Oh heavens no, you merely have to look at rock bands to see those games promote violence...
---
http://www.explosm.net/comics/657/
#9Raven236Posted 5/18/2013 12:55:29 AM
TinyTim123 posted...
My problem with this is who exactly determines if a game is violent?
Will Animal Crossing get the tax? You can hit neighbors in the head with a net, that's violent!
I mean, in that case, pretty much the only games to escape this tax would be like Cooking Mama... oh wait, you use a knife to cut up vegetables, never mind...
Tetris and pure puzzle games like that. Maybe Dance Dance Revolution style games. Rock Band? Oh heavens no, you merely have to look at rock bands to see those games promote violence...

Whatever the censor board sees fit I guess, heck even Mario and Sonic would be considered violent.

But in reality I can see them going after COD,God of war and such.
---
#10Mega_RatPosted 5/18/2013 1:02:06 AM
You know that big "M" on the box ... yeah.
---
My wonderful girlfriend is a smexy Bunuppy! A cross breed of a bunny and a puppy .. WHAT! O_O
http://imgur.com/ExbDPIs <- My name in a game (MSFHD)! :D