I wished Digital games would preserve the Box Art/Manuals of the physical medium

#1levyjl1988Posted 5/19/2013 5:32:39 PM
The ability to view the Box Art (NA/EU/JP) front, back, sides, the manual (NA/EU/JP), promotional material, disc art/cart art (NA/EU/JP), etc in a virtual way. The ability to rotate them, zoom in, view individual art assets (similar to that of SoulCalibur 2,3,4)'s gallery mode.

If that was the case along with an account system comparable to Microsoft's I would jump the bandwagon immediately and forget about physical.

As a collector of games (mostly physical). Digital needs to take the step up to cover for the missing artifacts that physical has over the digital medium.

The way digital games are being handled is a bit on the "needs improvement", what it has now is bare minimum.

It's like buying Legend of zelda Awakening DX on eShop, you skim the digital manual, but it lacks most of the art and stuff that was included in the physical copy. Small nuances like side box art is missing and etc. It's those little things that make things quite clever that is never present in the digital media.

If Nintendo wants to get digital games from the ground up, they need to make drastic improvements to incite the switch over.

The transition won't be easy for most people. ie) Ace Attorney 3DS being digital only in NA.
This kinda thing makes people uneasy as they can't lock and load their copy into their Ace Attorney Collection.

I'm not sure if Nintendo full understand or comprehends the consumer yet.
Also some companies already nailed digital to some degree.

ie) Steam
-Account based.
-If Steam shuts down, all games go DRM-free.
-Other additional features.
-manuals are available as a PDF.

Games are becoming part of our history, if it's going digital I think it should be preserved in a way people would appreciate it.

Though physical media does have it's perks.
-Lend a copy to a friend.
-Sell (though if you truly love the game you wouldn't resell anyways)
-Glow in the dark art box (ie Luigi's Mansion 2 EU)
-New copy smell (some like it, don't judge).
-Bevel or Emboss of Box Art to make things stand out
-That good ol' physical feel.

Anyone else feels the same way?
---
Check out Canada's only Comics and Gaming Magazine!
http://www.cgmagazine.ca/
#290sRetroGamingPosted 5/19/2013 5:40:53 PM
They could include all of this in the digital manuals but it's just Nintendo being typical Nintendo. it would require actual effort on their part.
---
[This Signature was censored at the request of Nintendo of America]
#3PStrifePosted 5/19/2013 7:06:53 PM
The digital manuals on the 3DS are uninspiring and awful to look at, with what I have thus far seen. The manuals on PC games with the PDF format seem superior as a result, annoying to view at as well - but far more interesting.

We are not hitting great heights in non-rip-offdum here. Not making a 3DS or Vita game worth it with such craptacular replacement efforts by said publishers. Really disappointed, retail games seem to be cheapwad efforts on these handhelds and consoles lately.

Try harder if you don't want me buying things when they start hitting final discount levels or lower, since the lack of value-added makes them a DVD or Blue-Ray film purchase at best. Cause that is what they are, I don't care for any excuses at this point. Publishers seem to suck these days.
#401Philip01Posted 5/19/2013 7:31:53 PM
levyjl1988 posted...

ie) Steam
-Account based.
-If Steam shuts down, all games go DRM-free.
-Other additional features.
-manuals are available as a PDF.

Link me a reputable source, ie: Steam/Steam Staff proving this.
---
NNID: PhilipPwns ( Add me thru miiverse )
3DS Friend Code: 0387 9129 6502
#5Shadow2790xPosted 5/19/2013 8:17:23 PM
Actually, the digital manuals that Vita games come with are pretty nice.
---
...You will be screaming: YES! YES! YES!
PSN: Shadow2790x
#6mabber_IIIPosted 5/19/2013 10:53:10 PM
one of the good things about the current xbox dashboard is seeing the boxart of all your games

nitendo could change it in an update