Why are there people who insist that there should be major changes to a series?

#1LightHawKnightPosted 5/21/2013 9:06:39 AM
Why? Isn't the point of a series is to be the same as each other? To have the same feeling while playing, the draw of wanting another game in the series? Minor changes and improvements are needed. Isn't the reason people play a game in a series is that they liked the previous games?! Why are there people who even want major game changing changes that do nothing but make the game into something that is not the series?! That is what a spinoff is for, or another series. Why even bother playing a game in the series if you don't even like the gameplay and say it should be changed?
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#2therandomguy1Posted 5/21/2013 9:17:41 AM
Different opinions I suppose. Or maybe it's that some people want some games to play like other ones like with comparisons I've seen that Pokemon's battle system should be like Ni No Kuni's battle system.
#3Rasen543Posted 5/21/2013 9:18:59 AM
It should be different enough to justify purchasing it at full price without the feeling of "I could have replayed the previous entry and miss out on nothing"

Like, take pokemon. Every game follows the same/similar plot, with little to no variation. Same with Call of Duty. Why waste money on playing a game you played already?

Now games like SMT and Dragon Quest change it up enough while keeping the base gameplay mechanics intact, which is the proper way to do it.

That's not to say there can't be a thing like too much change, though (Soulcalibur and Final Fantasy and I'm looking at you) but developers should keep the core gameplay elements while making everything else different
---
Official Kodama of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
I review stuff! http://www.youtube.com/user/RasenReviews
#4SMASHKING84Posted 5/21/2013 9:22:12 AM
simple the people saying it aren't fans of the series in the first place.
those who would want a series with completly different gameplay,why not just play a DIFFERENT SERIES?

because you like the characters?
there's texture hacks for that.
---
Gamefaqs where Innovation is more important then quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TuOa40N7hw
#5therandomguy1Posted 5/21/2013 9:27:37 AM
Rasen543 posted...
It should be different enough to justify purchasing it at full price without the feeling of "I could have replayed the previous entry and miss out on nothing"

Like, take pokemon. Every game follows the same/similar plot, with little to no variation. Same with Call of Duty. Why waste money on playing a game you played already?

Now games like SMT and Dragon Quest change it up enough while keeping the base gameplay mechanics intact, which is the proper way to do it.

That's not to say there can't be a thing like too much change, though (Soulcalibur and Final Fantasy and I'm looking at you) but developers should keep the core gameplay elements while making everything else different

But aren't brand new regions and new Pokemon enough to justify a purchase?
#6360pagesPosted 5/21/2013 9:28:22 AM
Thinking like that is why we got the DmC reboot, that toned and watered everything down in terms of gameplay for a broader audience and the sake of being new.

Truth is, I rather have rehashes with small changes then changing it so much it's barely recognizable to the series.

I know there is a middle ground, but developers very rarely hit it.
---
Gamefaqs in a nutshell (http://error1355.com/img/gif/gamefaqscant.gif)
#7UFOLochePosted 5/21/2013 9:28:44 AM
Rasen543 posted...

Most Pokemon generations have introduced something new to help the game evolve.

Generation 2:Travel to Kanto, shinies, I think EVs were in R/B/Y but they became what they are now here(Not 100% though), special stat split.

Generation 3:Pokemon contests, abilities, natures, tag battles.

Generation 4:The physical & special move split, introduction of wifi,

Generation 5:Triple & rotation battles, dream world, Wonder Launcher(IT's small but still worth mentioning since it's kinda cool), pokemon animations, there's a decent bit more too.

But y'see, the game constantly evolves, and that's not even getting into the balancing and how the metagame has developed.
---
PSN:Marioandli Skype:Viewtifulninja1
Legends never die!
#8LightHawKnight(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 9:29:06 AM
Rasen543 posted...

Dragon Quest changing it up? DQ is DQ cause there is very little change, just like Pokemon. Which is the great thing about it, a series that remains true to its roots, while still improving on things.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#9SMASHKING84Posted 5/21/2013 9:39:45 AM
LightHawKnight posted...
Rasen543 posted...

Dragon Quest changing it up? DQ is DQ cause there is very little change, just like Pokemon. Which is the great thing about it, a series that remains true to its roots, while still improving on things.

um dq x is a mmo which means it's no longer turn based.
---
Gamefaqs where Innovation is more important then quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TuOa40N7hw
#10TiaelPosted 5/21/2013 9:44:19 AM
Yet the game still retains that classic DQ feeling, and the battle system feels turn-based w/o it being so.
---
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.
Dragon Quest>Ys=SMT=Tales>Final Fantasy, but I enjoy all five.