Bought a used 3DS XL with games on it. Should I format it?

#1Midgar ZachnornPosted 5/21/2013 2:41:34 PM
From my understanding, I can redownload all the games that the previous owner bought for it. I'd like to start fresh with my own friend code and activity log, etc.

However, I do have Pokedex 3D, which I will apparently lose forever if I format (it's the free one and I'd rather not pay $15 for Pro, even though I like Pokemon). Is this worth keeping at all? If so, could I maybe keep it somehow? It should be saved on my SD card.

Also, anything else I should do with a used 3DS? Besides wiping it down with antibacterial wipes?
---
Zachnorn - <D - On a laptop or phone!
Everything is overrated.
#2DKU_ArichPosted 5/21/2013 2:43:30 PM
What games were on it aside of the PokeDex 3D?

(sidenote: I'd strongly recommend shelling the $15 anyways for the app. I did get it as a gift, but it's REALLY awesome and well worth the money).
#3Midgar Zachnorn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 2:44:54 PM
From the ad:
1. New Super Mario Bros 2
2. Brain Age Arts and Letters
3. Brain Age Math
4. Push-mo
5. Ketzal's Corridors
6. Zelda: Four Swords
7. Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again
8. SpeedX 3D
9. Art Academy: First Semester

And the seller also told me that he downloaded other random free games on it yesterday, so redownloading those should be no problem.
---
Everything is overrated.
#4lepeosPosted 5/21/2013 2:48:56 PM
You'll never get Zelda again if its formatted
---
@lepeos
www.ppslaggart.com
#5Midgar Zachnorn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2013 2:59:51 PM
Well, I guess that settles it. People seem jealous that I have it, so I'll keep that.

Any way to reset the friend code or activity log? I actually would be the type of person to use the activity log since I do like to track playtime.
---
Everything is overrated.
#6Gavin_RozeePosted 5/21/2013 5:16:30 PM
These people are wrong. Formatting it won't make you lose those games. Even though Four Swords and Pokedex 3D are no longer available, they're still tied to the eShop account you have and are redownloadable from "Titles You've Downloaded" in Settings on the eShop. Check it before formatting if it reassures you. Formatting doesn't affect the eShop account.
---
Wii U Nintendo Network ID: "Gavintendo".
3DS Friend Code: 3625 8479 9870.
#7Gavin_RozeePosted 5/21/2013 5:18:58 PM
As further reassurance, I myself had to format my launch 3DS with Ambassador games, Four Swords, Pokedex 3D and other games that were no longer available at the time. I could still redownload them all from "Titles You've Downloaded" after the format.

Really wish people wouldn't give out incorrect information as if it's fact.
---
Wii U Nintendo Network ID: "Gavintendo".
3DS Friend Code: 3625 8479 9870.
#8fallinfrogPosted 5/21/2013 5:21:06 PM
Gavin_Rozee posted...
These people are wrong. Formatting it won't make you lose those games. Even though Four Swords and Pokedex 3D are no longer available, they're still tied to the eShop account you have and are redownloadable from "Titles You've Downloaded" in Settings on the eShop. Check it before formatting if it reassures you. Formatting doesn't affect the eShop account.

This.

I've transferred my account twice now. Formatting it will not get rid of the eshop account. But you can format it, enjoy the benefit of resetting the activity log, then redownload all those games for free. That includes 4 swords as well.
---
3DS Friend Code: 0989-3176-9513//Nintendo Network ID: fallingfrog
#9ZachnornPosted 5/21/2013 8:39:57 PM
I checked and I see that both Pokedex 3D and Zelda: Four Swords say "this software is currently unavailable" while my other games say "Downloaded." Going to look into this a bit more.

Thanks so far!
---
Zachnorn - <D http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4503/qrcode857546.th.png
#10ZachnornPosted 5/21/2013 9:06:25 PM
So I decided to remove my SD card and see what the eShop has to say. I saw that I have an option to redownload Pokedex 3D but not Zelda: Four Swords. All other games on the SD card are also available for redownload. That's odd. Did this happen with others who formatted?

(I have not formatted yet)
---
Zachnorn - <D http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4503/qrcode857546.th.png