I just finished listening to a bunch of soundtracks from the SNES DKC games.....

#11gransPosted 5/23/2013 4:08:23 AM
The songs that returned from the original games were generally great, I didn't have any real complaints there. As it should be, the songs are classics. It's the new songs that just didn't cut it for me.
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#12NeonYoshi11Posted 5/23/2013 11:40:18 PM
DKC2 has probably the best soundtrack of any game ever made.

I wish it had more songs to be honest but there are hardly any on DKCR3D that are even close to as good as DKC2.
#13IAznDragonI YanPosted 5/23/2013 11:53:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wise_%28composer%29

it's because he's wasn't the music composer for dkcr 3d. that is why we didn't get great tracks
---
Oh it's nothing special. IT'S JUST MAH BASS CANNON!
#14MC LinkPosted 5/24/2013 12:00:53 AM
DKC3 did have some awesome tracks, but it was DKC2 that really hit the nail on the head.

The Donkey Kong Country 2 ice theme (In a snow-bound land?) really is fantastic and makes those levels such a joy to play through again and again.
---
*/******\/*****\*C Link : DandyQuackShot4Life
{___(\__/)___} "@ValKilmer4Life"-Twitter tweet me!
#15G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2013 2:44:18 AM
I think one other notable difference between the old and new game is the difference in style.

Donkey Kong's always been a cartoonish game, but whatever technology they used to give the SNES games that "3D" look worked REALLY well for DKC. The Wii may be years ahead in technological prowess, but the colour and texture of DKCR just didn't look nearly as well as DKC's did.

That, and the DKC series always had this cartoonish brutality to them that the new game didn't have. Killing each enemy caused them to give off a very satisfying and painful sounding "aauurgh!", and I remember in DKC3, killing the big kremlings caused them to roar and leave echoes as you kill them. In the old games, it looked like you really killed everything in sight, in the new ones, it looked more like you knocked them unconscious.

All those tiny touches did add a lot.
#16DKU_ArichPosted 5/24/2013 9:28:46 PM
grans posted...
Though I personally had very mixed to negative feelings about the new soundtrack he created for the GBA port of DKC3 (couple of standout tracks but I didn't like a lot of his replacements).

I don't know; though the tracks are a bit gritty and the production isn't very good, I think the DKC3 GBA soundtrack is the pinnacle and achievement of all of mankind's musical endeavors. From Mill Fever to Cavern Caprice, Jangle Bells & Rockface Rumble... Water World, Waterfall, Nuts and Bolts... it's all just so fantastic, definitely some of the best material ever written by David Wise. The music may not fit the level in every case (Treetop Tumble =/= Ripsaw Rage) but the compositions themselves speak to me in ways almost unfathomable.

That said, DKC3 SNES has an ace soundtrack, too. One of my favorites. I'm particularly fond of Cascade Capers and Enchanted Riverbank.
#17gumbyxcore99Posted 5/24/2013 9:39:59 PM
i think the real problem is that the series is not called super donkey kong in NA
---
iller than phil schiller
#18gransPosted 5/24/2013 10:24:23 PM(edited)
I don't know; though the tracks are a bit gritty and the production isn't very good, I think the DKC3 GBA soundtrack is the pinnacle and achievement of all of mankind's musical endeavors. From Mill Fever to Cavern Caprice, Jangle Bells & Rockface Rumble... Water World, Waterfall, Nuts and Bolts... it's all just so fantastic, definitely some of the best material ever written by David Wise. The music may not fit the level in every case (Treetop Tumble =/= Ripsaw Rage) but the compositions themselves speak to me in ways almost unfathomable.

That said, DKC3 SNES has an ace soundtrack, too. One of my favorites. I'm particularly fond of Cascade Capers and Enchanted Riverbank.

Depends on the song to me. There are definitely several completely awesome songs in the GBA port of DKC3. Specifically the new Stilt Village replacement is amazing and easily beats the SNES version, in fact I still hum it today (and it fits even better with the theme of the Stormy Seas level in the new Pacifica world). There are two boss themes used on GBA and I REALLY like the second one more than the original SNES boss theme (the one used for Arich and one or two other bosses), but I dislike the other boss theme one and prefer the SNES version's if you compare those. And while I think the Water World SNES theme is incredibly cool and kind of creepy, the new one is a remix of Aquatic Ambiance and that's always fantastic. I do love the underwater portion of Enchanted Riverbank, which if you count that on its own it wins easily (it's awesome), though I prefer the SNES version's dry land theme over GBA's dry land.

Some of the new tunes i'm either mixed on or dislike. I actually hate the new Tree theme (original was amazing). And while I don't think the new Cavern and Mountain themes are actually bad (the new mountain theme is pretty catchy in fact), the original SNES versions are amazing and I prefer them by far. I preferred the original SNES world map themes overall. And I also hate the new Frosty Frolics music and far prefer the originals.

Others i'd put pretty evenly matched with the SNES version, or with slight advantages either way. Probably a tie with the Waterfall themes for me (both are awesome). Nuts and Bolts Factory themes are fairly close, though slight edge perhaps to the GBA version (like both though). Pokey Pipes is good on both, but SNES version wins by a bit.

I also dislike that there's no longer a dedicated final boss theme. They just reused one of the normal boss themes, and it's not even the boss theme I liked of the two. It sucks because every DKC game on the SNES had their own dedicated themes for the final bosses, especially DKC1's Gangplank Galleon (one of the most rocking awesome pieces of DKC music there is). I also don't like how they used the same music for all the Kong family locations and Bear houses throughout when they used to have different music pieces for each type of location (and the originals were all superior to the new theme).

I definitely agree there are some better songs in the GBA port, but I just think the overall SNES soundtrack has more songs that are better and more fitting/consistent. Though the new Stilt Village song along i will concede gives the GBA music some serious awesomeness. That composition reminds me of something David Wise would have created for DKC2 (which still has by far the best music in the series IMHO).
---
NEVER judge a game you have not played.
-Granville
#19G1ingy(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 1:34:56 AM
While you're all on the topic of DKC3 music, I want to know if other people think this too.

You know some of the forest level with those monkeys throwing rocks at you from the sides? Is it just a coincidence or did they specifically set the music of the stage to rhythm with the noise the monkeys make when they throw their rocks?

It FEELS like it to me...sometimes it's like the monkeys are following the music as they throw.
#20noutBrPosted 5/25/2013 2:28:11 AM
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one!

Even though DKCR is a fantastic game with great level design it just feels a bit too different from the original trilogy. What really made the DKC games so special was the atmosphere and style created by a combination of the graphics, sounds and music. DKCR has gone off in a completely different direction with more of a cartoony look and because of that it just doesn't feel like a true 4th DKC game to me.

I also feel like there was so much missed potential, DKC2 and 3 really expanded on the bonus levels and with the often well hidden DK coins in each level it really was very rewarding to fully complete each level for the "!DK" (also a little touch I miss in DKCR). The puzzle pieces feel a bit out of place and even though it's fun to find them all I can't help but feel disappointed about the lack of DK coins and bonus stages with different goals like DKC2 and 3.

I do understand that DKCR was meant as some sort of reboot game that took DKC as the basic inspiration but they could at least have looked at all the stuff that DKC2 and 3 did right to improve the formula.

If only Nintendo would make a DKC4 in the same style as the SNES games with David Wise doing the music :)
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r