Square Enix will star making 'console' like games for smartphones and tablets

#1Rurouni720Posted 5/27/2013 10:24:20 AM
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/26/square-enix-will-make-console-like-games-for-smartphones-and-tablets/

Welp. Time to move to Atlus for RPGs Next Gen.
#2UponADarkThornePosted 5/27/2013 10:34:37 AM
I don't know why this is necessarily a bad thing. The hate for smartphones and tablets seems a little silly.

I mean, later this year or early next, Baldur's Gate II is going to be on the iPad. The greatest game of all time, a game that is still ****ing fantastic despite being fifteen years old, is getting a iPad release.

I'd be more concerned with SE's dwindling quality than their platform of choice.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/wolfbornson
#3Reverted_PikkonPosted 5/27/2013 10:41:36 AM
UponADarkThorne posted...
I don't know why this is necessarily a bad thing. The hate for smartphones and tablets seems a little silly.

I mean, later this year or early next, Baldur's Gate II is going to be on the iPad. The greatest game of all time, a game that is still ****ing fantastic despite being fifteen years old, is getting a iPad release.

I'd be more concerned with SE's dwindling quality than their platform of choice.

It's not the devices themselves, but the ****ing controls. It's a nightmare trying to play most of SE games on my iPad. Same with all ports of other games. It's not meant for that.
---
What's that Zach?
#4jedinatPosted 5/27/2013 10:42:33 AM
Who cares. It's not like they make good games. They just publish a few good games, rerelease old ones, and make new crappy ones.
#5Grand_BluePosted 5/27/2013 10:43:48 AM
Rurouni720 posted...
Welp. Time to move to Atlus for RPGs Next Gen.

Is this flamebait? We haven't seen any of their new console like games for phones and already you are making assumptions based on how horrible All the Bravest was, right?

I post this on every topic about SE games, so here's a short summary: it's cheaper to make iOS games than 3DS games (much much cheaper) and there is a wider audience (550 million iOS devices, the 3DS is minuscule to that.
---
The Boondocks on Adult Swim is my favorite anime.
#6jedinatPosted 5/27/2013 10:50:09 AM(edited)
Grand_Blue posted...
I post this on every topic about SE games, so here's a short summary: it's cheaper to make iOS games than 3DS games (much much cheaper) and there is a wider audience (550 million iOS devices, the 3DS is minuscule to that.

Well, while the 3DS may have less than a 10th of that (31.09 million apparently)... ALL of them are interested in big games at $40... compare that to iOS gamers who hardly ever want to pay $10 for a game... and the vast majority of iOS device owners aren't gamers, let alone the kind of gamer interested in RPGs or w/e Square Enix is making..
#7badboyPosted 5/27/2013 11:01:16 AM(edited)
Atlus doesn't make games for smartphones?
http://i.imgur.com/09XqaqT.jpg
#8Bahamut_10thPosted 5/27/2013 11:01:42 AM
I really hope Nomura and the Crystal Chronicles team leave Square-Enix ASAP...
#9XashowdPosted 5/27/2013 12:40:09 PM
jedinat posted...
Grand_Blue posted...

Well, while the 3DS may have less than a 10th of that (31.09 million apparently)... ALL of them are interested in big games at $40... compare that to iOS gamers who hardly ever want to pay $10 for a game... and the vast majority of iOS device owners aren't gamers, let alone the kind of gamer interested in RPGs or w/e Square Enix is making..

This. SE has a dedicated fanbase who will buy their console and handheld games, while most of those who prefer the mobile market aren't usually interested in RPGs or anything with a price tag higher than $5. The money might be there now, but later chances are it won't be, and SE will have pissed off so much of their dedicated fanbase that when they try to get sales back from them, they won't be there.

Essentially, if SE isn't careful, they'll end up doing to the FF series what Capcom has done to the Megaman franchise. I honestly don't want to see that happen, but the possibility remains.
---
I am MnK Xashowd. Official Darkrai of the Pokemon X/Y Boards.
3DS FC: 3695-0746-1582. Xashowd. PM me if you add me.