So I've been out of the loop for a bit on the 3DS, Castlevania any good?

#1Geminia999Posted 6/6/2013 5:44:14 PM
So I haven't been paying much attention to my 3DS lately and want to start getting some more games for it soon. And one of the games I haven't heard much on and was interested in was Mirror of Fate. Though the board seems kinda dead so I thought I'd ask here for information.

I've heard that it wasn't that great and reviews seem a bit on the low side but I'm still a bit skeptical about those in general. So what do you guys say?
---
[::[_]::]Common sense
[+[_]::]just because you can doesn't mean you should
#2KelysticPosted 6/6/2013 6:03:30 PM
Try to demo.
#3RyuVegasPosted 6/6/2013 6:07:45 PM
Gaming public consensus: it is a trash game.

Which, there are plent of bad parts to the game like the weird anime cel-shaded cutscenes are bad EVERYTIME, you do QtE for opening a chest, traveling in a cart, etc so it is annoying and pointless as f*** and there are more as you go along, and compared to the DS "Metroidvania" games its exploration element is light and more DKCR-esque with just finding secret areas out-of-sight while also being usually just ugrades and extensions to previous items, just like its elder cousin on the PS3 & 360 so that means it is bad to the "true Castlevania fanboys" out there. It is more linear, so apparently that also makes it bad. And its combat is a perfect adaptation of its predecessor translated from 3D to 2D, but since that already "ripped-off" God of War, that's automaticaly bad.

But as a Lords of Shadow timeline fan it is pretty much everything we could have asked for in a 2D, in-between sidestory of the true sequel and predecessor, adapation of the game. Does it get a little obtuse and forced at times? Hell yes but for being what Lords of Shadow already is, it is pretty great except for the stupid forced QtE for nothing that ever matters, like chests.
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP: NarutoStorm3, DKCR3D, LoZOracles
'I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you.' ~ XImperialDragon
#4Geminia999(Topic Creator)Posted 6/6/2013 6:11:22 PM
So it's essentially like the originals bar simon's quest? I'll go try the demo though, didn't know it had one.
---
[::[_]::]Common sense
[+[_]::]just because you can doesn't mean you should
#5tav19Posted 6/6/2013 6:12:46 PM(edited)
Don't try the demo because it wasn't all that good (they chose a crap portion of the game for the demo), as for the game itself, well it was okay at best. It would have been better (story wise) in my opinion if they had removed the last 3rd of the game and instead made the first 3rd of the game longer.
#6ACx7Posted 6/6/2013 8:21:48 PM
If you played and enjoyed the previous 6 Nintendo portable Castlevania games avoid Mirror of Fate at all costs.
#7Hardley_SmithPosted 6/6/2013 8:23:37 PM
it's bad

really bad
---
http://myanimelist.net/profile/SephkaBlight
#8LinkMaster2703Posted 6/6/2013 8:24:43 PM
It's awful in almost every way conceivable.
---
http://www.gamespek.com/imagenes/articulos/articulos/iwata_not_dead.gif
#9Hirokey123Posted 6/6/2013 8:28:55 PM(edited)
If you're a LoS fan there is a pretty high chance you'll like it, and if your not then there is a pretty good chance you won't. From a design standpoint it's not a bad or trash game though there are a few questionable design choices. The one true problem it has is lacking of replay value, there is none so there is no reason to go back.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#10boring_namePosted 6/6/2013 8:34:38 PM
I didn't find it to be any good, maybe it appeals more to people who haven't been playing Castlevania for a while though.
---
And when you gaze long into an Xbone the Xbone also gazes into you.