Tales of the Abyss or Fire Emblem?

#1SwOlo_NuMzZPosted 6/8/2013 7:01:49 PM
I am getting a new game soon and have narrowed my choices down to these two games. I want a game where you can fully customize your characters (like armor and weapons) and one that has a good story line. Which one would suit me?
---
Swag+Yolo=Swolo ermagherd soo cool
#2MwulfPosted 6/8/2013 7:48:15 PM
Depends on what you want.

Neither game has much in the way of character customization, though in Fire Emblem you can change classes and each class has different armor and abilities.

Basically, if you're looking for a fantastic RPG with a great story and... decent combat, get Abyss.
If you're looking for some fantastic SRPG gameplay and a lot of different little things to take care of (relationships, item management, extra maps, etc.) get Fire Emblem.

The story, characters and dialog in Abyss are all top-notch. In Fire Emblem, those aspects of the game are mediocre at best.

They're really not comparable.

I'd recommend getting both, if possible.

Abyss is best suited for playing in lengthy spurts of time (30+ minutes); Fire Emblem is better suited for playing in short increments (less than 30 minutes).

So... does that help you make up your mind?
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#3SwOlo_NuMzZ(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2013 7:48:16 PM
Bump
---
#421_21Posted 6/8/2013 7:59:34 PM
They're both worth getting, but get Fire Emblem first.
---
Currently playing:
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Virtue's Last Reward, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, and Black Mesa
#5SwOlo_NuMzZ(Topic Creator)Posted 6/8/2013 8:01:41 PM
Mwulf posted...
Depends on what you want.

Neither game has much in the way of character customization, though in Fire Emblem you can change classes and each class has different armor and abilities.

Basically, if you're looking for a fantastic RPG with a great story and... decent combat, get Abyss.
If you're looking for some fantastic SRPG gameplay and a lot of different little things to take care of (relationships, item management, extra maps, etc.) get Fire Emblem.

The story, characters and dialog in Abyss are all top-notch. In Fire Emblem, those aspects of the game are mediocre at best.

They're really not comparable.

I'd recommend getting both, if possible.

Abyss is best suited for playing in lengthy spurts of time (30+ minutes); Fire Emblem is better suited for playing in short increments (less than 30 minutes).

So... does that help you make up your mind?

Thank you very much! It was very helpful. I am definitely leaning towards Fire Emblem now.
---
#6ArchsazePosted 6/8/2013 8:08:03 PM
There are plenty of reviews on this website and video reviews elsewhere. I recommend those to really help you get an idea of the games. There's also a demo of Fire Emblem I believe on the eShop.

However, Fire Emblem is definitely the better game in my opinion. Yes the story was weak compared to the other games in the series, but it's one of the best games on the 3DS regardless. One of the reasons why I was ever interested in the system to begin with.
#7MwulfPosted 6/8/2013 8:53:07 PM
*Shrug*

To be fair, they're both fantastic games and both qualify as "most own" titles for 3DS gamers as far as I'm concerned.
---
"...Blame this on the misfortune of your birth."
-Char Aznable
#8RPGNinja123Posted 6/8/2013 9:01:26 PM
21_21 posted...
They're both worth getting, but get Fire Emblem first.

What he said!
---
[A Gamefaqs moderator was deleted by this message]
3DS Friend Code = 0232-8140-1787 (send a PM if you add me)
#9distr0iaPosted 6/8/2013 9:25:02 PM
Faia Emburemu
#10abbeldydooPosted 6/8/2013 9:26:24 PM
Fire Emblem
---
Don't mod me bro!
3DS FC - 0103-9648-8189