Which e-Shop Purchase: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning vs Animal Crossing

#1GeminiX7Posted 6/11/2013 7:20:05 AM
Should I buy Harvest Moon:ANB or Animal Crossing off of the eShop? - Results (40 votes)
Animal Crossing
67.5% (27 votes)
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning
27.5% (11 votes)
Shantae + Cave story
5% (2 votes)
Other(Please Specify, non-RPG titles preferably)
0% (0 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I planned to get DKCR3D on my 3DS, and put the funds on my eShop wallet, but found out my SD card doesn't have enough space for the title. While I will eventually get a larger SD card and DK, I'm looking to buy a title now. I currently have $39 on my account, and those two games look the most appealing.

HM - As said before, I'm a huge fan of BtN, FoMT, and 64, but not so much the other titles in the series, especially ones that forsake the core farming/courting aspect for some idiotic gimmick. If A New Beginning is close to the style of FoMT and 64, it'll be the best choice for me.

AC - I'm somewhat new to the series, and still trying to understand the appeal. But it seems to be extremely popular and has an interesting online/customization aspect to the game. What makes it so addicting? Is there stuff like cooking/harvesting or is it all just fetch quests and the like? I've heard people just call it a "debt simulator" before, but how does your character make money in game?

Shantae/Cave Story/Other titles - My third choice, I could simply just spend the money on a few eShop titles or even a different 3DS eshop download. I've played a bit of Cave story, but haven't played Shantae before. I already have all of the Zelda titles, so don't suggest them, and I'm looking for something other than an RPG (MAAAYBE I'd be interested in EOIV, but again, I have such a backlog of RPGs its not really worth it)
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#2AngurvadalPosted 6/11/2013 7:28:00 AM
HM ANB is terrible. It's so empty compared to the other games.
---
Words of wisdom from Guybrush Threepwood:
http://tinyurl.com/cell59d
#3GeminiX7(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 7:34:02 AM
Angurvadal posted...
HM ANB is terrible. It's so empty compared to the other games.

I heard thats just in the beginning, since you have to build the town up. Or is it always barebones compared to previous titles?
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#4Fimble_the_magePosted 6/11/2013 7:35:33 AM
HM ANB is fine once you get it going... the problem is that takes forever.
---
Omegle is the worst site ever
#5GambitAcePosted 6/11/2013 7:37:01 AM(edited)
Didn't you make this topic already?

I was in the same boat as you TC, and I picked HM since I'm a returning player and I've heard good things about it. AC I've never played before, so it was a no for now but I might still get it in the future.
---
how do you turn this on?
#6GeminiX7(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 10:06:17 AM
Hmm, what exactly can you do in AC's multiplayer? Also, again, what do you do to make money in AC?
---
#7Aadrian1234Posted 6/11/2013 10:11:34 AM
Definitely get cave story if you can, it's an amazing game. I bought it on the DSi shop, so I have to rebuy it to be played in native 3D, or buy the retail for $35 for even better graphical quality
---
"This...sentence...is...false!"
"Umm... True, I pick true. See? Not hard at all"
#8GeminiX7(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2013 10:13:00 AM
Aadrian1234 posted...
Definitely get cave story if you can, it's an amazing game. I bought it on the DSi shop, so I have to rebuy it to be played in native 3D, or buy the retail for $35 for even better graphical quality

Well, it is a great game, but I don't know if I'd rather get that or a new 3DS title(most of my games are DS/eShop titles. Only 3DS title I have is Fire Emblem Awakening)
---
#9bravo1Posted 6/11/2013 10:18:33 AM
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning isn't anything like FoMT, BTN or 64. Yeah, the same basic trends are there - befriend people while making the town a success. ANB is very heavily focused on restoring the town. You won't have super-massive crop farms like you used to in FoMT. Farmable plots are 4 x 2 sections as opposed to one giant field, and seed bags plant a 2 x 2 square instead of a 3 x 3 area in the older games. Livestock is one of the main moneymakers in this game. Mining is also radically different than the previous incarnations. Gone is the mine of FoMT, where you had 255 levels of a mine to navigate through.

The game uses A Wonderful Life's time system. So each in-game hour lasts a minute with a 120 (30 per season) day calender. This leads to very lengthy seasons. Which is good, because for your first year you will be keeping basically everything that you forage for the Restoration Projects. It's bad when you consider that your first season is an overgrown tutorial, and thus the game has a very slow start.

If you're expecting a Back To Nature 4, you may want to look elsewhere. That being said, ANB is a great game and is a lot of fun. There is no shortage of things to do and the town customization is rather fun. The characters are nice and have a fair bit of personality to them.
---
3DS FC: 3952-7065-0089